Reverse Issue with 360 F1 When Hot? | FerrariChat

Reverse Issue with 360 F1 When Hot?

Discussion in '360/430' started by NexLevel, Aug 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Kind of weird but I'm able to replicate this pretty often now. After a long drive (the car is pretty hot), the car will not shift into R. It does not matter if I stop and put the car in N or leave in 1st, it has the same problem. Also if I turn off the car and back on, same issue.

The only way to fix this is to go into 1st, rev it slightly and then it will miraculously go into R after shifting. Hum...

Also, I've noticed when this is happening, if I slightly rev in N...the rpms drops and the car looks like its going to stall.

Any ideas?

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Try readjust the PIS setting. Do this only when the gearbox is hot.

3. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Just had the TCU flashed last week with the newest software and PIS I believe was set to 4.2. You think this has something to do with it?

Can you explain why hot vs not hot would make a difference in going into reverse?

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Classic sign that the PIS is incorrectly adjusted.

Skidkid likes this.
  6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Just had my PIS upped by .2 to help this same situation, guess what it still does it .....and I can feel the slower engagement at start and shifting, surprised that such a small adjustment of .2 could be felt right away. I can live with the sometimes hard to reverse, and looking to set my PIS back to what it was or as low as possible.
    Car does not creep in 1st though....

7. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Interesting...guess I'll call them up and see what they say. Now it appears as long as I shift to 1st first, it'll shift to R. I don't mind as long as it doesn't get any worse.

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had the same issue. You can try Turning off the car and restarting. That may work until you figure out what’s going on.

My bet is that it’s the clutch position sensor. Took several trips to the dealer for the error code to come up in their SD2, but once replaced, never happened again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I had a similar, strange occurrence today. After doing some easy driving for 30 minutes (car was warmed up), I was on a flat street and did a 3 point turn, but when I went into reverse and gave it some throttle, it almost stalled. I let up on the throttle and braked, and it came back. I put it in 1st, then back to reverse and it did the same thing. I put it in 1st again and gave it a little throttle to inch it forward (didn't have much room to the curb), then put it in reverse and was able to move in reverse normally without being on the verge of stalling.

Any ideas why it would behave like that?

(2004 360 F1 Spider with only ~8% clutch wear)

Sent from my KFDOWI using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    My 360 did this to me all the time. I have no “mechanical” reason for this but it seemed like if I held the reverse lever in reverse it eventually shifted. It totally could’ve been my imagination though.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    The clutch disc expands when it gets hot causing it to drag on the pressure plate. This causes rotation on the input shaft in neutral which can be seen by the rotation sensor in the transmission. If there is rpm in the trans, the TCU will not allow it shift to reverse. I imagine this is because reverse in not synchronized. When you put the trans in first gear, you force the disc to spin against the pressure plate which stops the input shaft rotation and drops the transmission rpm to zero and the TCU will let you shift to reverse.

There is a parameter in the TCU called "new clutch closed position". At least I think that's what Leonardo call it. This determines how much the clutch is disengaged when open. You can also see if you have transmission RPM via Leonardo or an SD2 or whatever config tool you use.

12. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Punto! Heat is causing the issue. I would have the PIS reset and if you can, go on a test drive with the tech and do 3 readings, downhill - flat - and uphill and do soft launches. Have them monitor the TCU while doing this. By this method you can see the best PIS for all 3 situations, and while hot. Mine was set down to 3.79mm or so on a CS TCU with only about 20% clutch wear.