360 - Review of Scuderia Audio “Subwoofer” upgrade kit | FerrariChat

360 Review of Scuderia Audio “Subwoofer” upgrade kit

Discussion in '360/430' started by gt1995, Sep 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Just want to share how thrilled I am with the OEM Super Hi-Fi Upgrade System 2.0 from Scuderia Audio . It’s a great product and really transformed the performance of my factory “subwoofer” which had degraded significantly due to age. See below for some pics and a summary.

https://scuderiaaudio.com/product/360-430-oem-bass-upgrade-2-0/

In short, Mike makes a great product and it couldn’t be easier to install. He isn’t the most responsive person I have ever met on email and is so kind with his advice and support.

A few observations, step-by-step:

1) Removing the grills - This was perhaps the most harrowing part, as even Mike’s video doesn’t show all of the details. But they came off easily and all in one piece.

2) Removing the speakers - The speakers were, as the pics below show, a complete mess. The active speaker was missing 80 percent of the connecting material between the cone and frame, and it appeared to have just disintegrated over the years. And the passive radiotelephone looked more like it melted! But the speakers unscrewed easily. The one screw at bottom is in a tight space and requires some creative wrenching so as not to damage the center console. We laid a chamois over it to protect it. We also vacuumed the box and cleaned off the leather a bit as well.

3) Removing and replacing the acoustic material - Mike advised us that it would be best to get some “Stuff” from Black Hole to line the back of the box. We did this and had to remove the factory foam which was very skimpy and came out all in one piece. Very easy. We separated the Stuff into two layers and just used one.

4) Installing the adapter rings - The custom adapter rings that Mike has developed fit like a glove and went in no problem using the provided screws.

5) Reconnecting the speakers - This was maybe the most difficult, yet still easy, part of the operation. The OEM active speaker has a four-wire harness connected to it that unclips from inside the box. We removed that with the speaker so we could work with it on our workbench. The leads were soldered to the OEM speaker so we used a soldering iron to melt and release them. We then reshaped the leads to a nice round wire shape and attached them to some female spade connectors (14-16 gauge I believe) as suggested by Mike) these were then attached two to each of the new speakers as they were installed. Fit like a glove. The speakers themselves stewed in relatively easily, though one of the screw holes seemed a little misaligned and took some work.

6) Reinstalling the grills - The OEM grills fit back over the speakers and adapter plates, though they seem to stick out a few millimeters more. These just snapped right back on. Easy!

Overall a great and easy experience, even for relative mechanical novices. Thanks Mike and Scuderia Auto!

Melted OEM passive radiator
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Disintegrated OEM subwoofer

My master audio technician reinstalling speakers

Manda racing and f355spider like this.
  2. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    CORRECTION - Mike *is* the most responsive person I have ever met in email. Stupid autocorrect!

sparetireless likes this.
  3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well that isn't the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me (Ha ha couldn't resist!).
    Seriously, thank you for the nice compliments!

There is a Thai restaurant near my house called "Beyond Thai". They hired a waitress who they promptly had to fire for pressuring customers into giving her big tips.
    They wanted to let the customers know that they had taken care of the issue, so they posted a big note on the front door that said:

"IT IS NOT BEYOND THAI'S POLICY TO PRESSURE CUSTOMERS FOR TIPS"

Too funny!! :)

4. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Mike is the best!

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes, Mike makes great products and provides excellent support.

I'm 1000% satsified with his subwoofer.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Mike is amazing, love his products!

7. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Totally agree!! My new system is a significant improvement over stock and sounds great thanks to Mike!

8. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Good read my sub literally just blew so I may pick up this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    "My master audio technician"

That's what I am talking about! ;-)

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #10 f355spider, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Not "melted"...someone tried to fix that rotted speaker surround with black silicone RTV! Lol. Save them, both can be repaired if desired in the future...about $30 each. Shops will replace the speaker cone and surround.

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is a good idea in theory, but in this case, practically anything is better than OEM. Even if a repair shop replaced the cone and surround with better materials than OEM, you're still stuck with a tiny, crappy magnet and voice coil.

gt1995 likes this.
  12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have a question though Mike. My oem sub speakers were in perfect condition. But I noted in base heavy songs it was easy to bottom (popping noise) without turning up that loud. I switched to your system, and while it no longer bottoms or clips, I do notice it does not go as low in bass, or as loud (lower sensitivity). (I realize this is partly the limitation of the Becker Cascade 6112 radio) But I expected the bass to be equal or better to the stock system. Can you confirm the wiring polarity? I would like to make sure I don't have it mixed up, which would certainly cause an issue. I am just wondering if your system is optimized for the HiFi system, rather than the Scuderia system.

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is the first I've heard of a degradation in performance with the new min subs (and I've sold around 30 sets already). You may indeed have a polarity problem.
    Run the blue wire to one of the speakers +, the black wire to the same speaker -, the red wire to the other speaker + and the yellow wire to that same speaker -.

That being said, there is no free lunch. Bass speakers that deliver more accurate sound are generally stiffer (for that very reason - so they don't pop) and require more power to drive them.
    Note that the people who purchase the new super OEM amp along with the mini subs solve all their problems at once. You get way more bass, deeper bass, and much more music coming out of the midranges and tweeters. It is literally a night and day difference. And this is to be expected as you are going from a 60 Watt booster to 400 Watts of high end power. But this is relative. You'll get more bass, but drive them hard enough with 400 Watts and these will eventually start to pop as well. Replace these with an 8" subwoofer and the pop problem goes away. You'll get enough bass to make your hair move.
    Regarding the 4" replacement subs, if I sold wimpy speakers as replacements, then the folks who paired them with the super OEM amp would blow them right out of the surrounds. That being said, I've had senior techs install my mini replacement subs and report a significant improvement in the sound, so it would be good to check the polarity.

You do make an excellent point. If purchasing more power is not an option, want to maintain the current driver efficiency at low volume levels and are willing to forego heavy bass songs (or put up with the popping until they destroy themselves) then perhaps it would be better to have the original speakers re coned. Just don't ever listen to a similar system with one of the super OEM amps, you'll never be able to go back. :)

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #14 f355spider, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Mike, I checked and I did not wire my speakers per your instructions above in post #13. BUT, it appears to sound worse with the change. I am going to swap back to the way I had it, to confirm in the next hour. But please note that I did the wiring based off the way the original dual voice coil speaker was wired. See this picture from a previous Fchat thread posted by someone else (I think the picture is originally from the Aldousvoice website). It shows blue+, yellow- on one voice coil and on the other voice coil red+ and black-

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hi Mike, I confirmed that with the wiring set up you are recommending, I am getting some high frequency distortion. When I restored the wiring to match the above picture, it was much cleaner sounding, no distortion. Surprisingly the bass was the same with either set up...I guess since the polarity is correct. But it must be driving the amp weird.

BTW, I am sure your system works great with the HIFI set up in the 360/430. The 430 Scuderia is compromised by the Becker 6112 Cascade radio built in amplification.

16. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Looks like this is for those with the optional system with amp and added rear enclosure....what does Scuderia (Mike) recommend for those with stock or other added systems in terms of amp and subwoofer(s locations? I already have an upgraded system (prior owner installed but I had to replace some components he wanted to keep and now I need new midranges and I not in love with the way it is setup - it has amp between seats where the subwoofer shown in these post here is and subwoofers in separate enclosures behind seats)

17. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    he has nice stuff, super happy with results

18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The OEM "hi-fi" system utilizes a "cradle" that mounts underneath the dash and holds a small booster. Scuderia Audio basically reverse engineered the cradle and developed a slightly larger version that sits in the same location but holds a high end 500 Watt amplifier. They also make a subwoofer enclosure that is similar to the OEM hi-fi offering except that this one holds a JL Audio 8" subwoofer. Regarding the midranges, Scuderia Audio has a kit that includes stainless steel, tig welded adapters that make swapping out the midrange and tweeters for higher end units a breeze. Check out their website at www.scuderiaaudio.com for the details.

f355spider likes this.
  19. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Thks very much for the info - attached is a pic of my system which was installed by prior owner - sounds good but i dont love the way the woofers take up so much space/are behind seats - on the other hand the cupholders are nice - i had an issue with the midranges which i replaced in doors after my post so I think ill stick for now but will study the scuderiaaudio stuff for future ref

20. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013