Reving F1 transmission | FerrariChat

Reving F1 transmission

Discussion in '612/599' started by Motorama, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Ive seen movies of guys reving the ,599 while driving like it's in neutral. How is this possible at let's say 60 mph?

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just pull in both paddles and you are in neutral and can rev the engine. Then pull one paddle and you are back in gear.

3. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    This Cant be healthy.. anyone here tried it?

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Nope, doesn't seem like a good idea to me either. But that is how to do it. Seems like it would put extra ware on your clutch going back into gear if engine and trans are not well matched.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The car picks the best matched gear. Provided you’re not on the throttle as you go back into gear, then its not going to cause any significant wear. Certainly less wear than pulling out of a parking space, where there’s a lot more clutch slip taking place.

If you “Rev drop” though, where you drop it into gear whilst at high revs and on the move, you will certainly cause some serious clutch wear, not to mention massive stress through the whole drivetrain.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Robin is pretty much right but I really wish people would get over fretting about tiny amounts of clutch wear. I NEVER read how to minimize the number of shifts to save the clutch in the Porsche forum, or anywhere else for that matter. Oh yea, they realize they will replace a clutch once every 10+ years THEN they go and drive the cars.

brogenville likes this.
  7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Likely the Pcar clutch’s are a bit less $$$ to replace. I have replaced a clutch in my 930, which I really didn’t have to but “the engine is out so you may as well do the clutch “ while I was replacing a synchro. I believe it was about $1,800 if I recall. Small part of what I was having done at the time.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I simply don't see that making my clutch last 30 days longer is worth any brain cells whatsoever. Maybe those 30 days are worth it to you but they just are not to me and I can't understand how anyone can buy one of these, maintain it, and worry about the clutch lasting 200 months or 201 months. It is like worrying about the extra $.50 on a tip.

brogenville likes this.
  9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have never worried about clutch life or replacing one on any of my cars. That said I am not hard on clutches and normally get very good life. Most of my cars have been MT and getting good life out of them has not been hard just not doing stupid stuff to that abuses them . Also good technique double clutching also helps with clutch life.

Skidkid likes this.
  10. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    I think the problem is all those stories of clutches that need replacing after only few thousand miles. I was certainly nervous when I bought my Ferrari a few years ago. But I had it checked recently and it had only worn by 14% in 12000kms of spirited driving. So I’m pretty relaxed about it now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The few Ferrari techs that I’ve spoken with are unanimous that the clutch wear reading is far from accurate. 80% remaining is more than 20% remaining, but theres a reasonable chance that both could be 50%.

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've seen a couple of morons in Lambos pull this stunt. It really bothers me to see people disrespect fine cars.