348 - Revs for no reason | FerrariChat

348 Revs for no reason

Discussion in '348/355' started by RedF1, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedF1

RedF1 Rookie

Oct 29, 2019
    Gloucestershire Uk
    Full Name:
    Justin Hibberd
    Hi All
    I had my 348TS serviced about 18 months ago and as i was driving home, i pulled away hard and the revs seemed to stick around 7k and not go down. I switched the engine off and back on and it was fine. I hardly use the car, so when i complained the Company who serviced it said it was too late.
    The car drives absolutely perfect, but if i pull away fast, the revs stick again - unfortunately now, if i switch the engine off and back on, it still is at high revs - then it seems to fix itself.
    The accelerator is not stuck and the odd thing is that i checked whilst it was revving in the stuck position and the carbs were closed.
    Any ideas what this could be?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    How were you able to check that the "carbs" were closed?

3. RedF1

RedF1 Rookie

Oct 29, 2019
    Gloucestershire Uk
    Full Name:
    Justin Hibberd
    Whilst it was stuck revving I opened the boot and the accelerator cable was loose and they weren’t open

4. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    If the butterflies were shut, how did it get air to rev?

johnk... and MAD828 like this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    just a guess but TPS issue. ecu thinks throttle is open? same part is used on Porsche 964, they cost me $60 when I replaced mine from Porsche parts place on ebay.

7. bmxracer50

bmxracer50 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2009
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The transverse throttle shaft (15 in diagram) rides on bushings that can get sticky when the car sits dormant. The throttle will stick, and the cable will have free play because the pedal returns but the throttles don’t. If it is sticky , use a little bit sewing machine oil or other light penetrating oil on the shaft/ bushing interface and wipe off excess.
    If the shaft isn’t sticking in the bushings, check the cable routing. If still unsure if throttle plates are closed, pull off the rubber boots in front of the throttle plates and rotate the shaft (15) by hand by pulling the throttle cable. Visually verify that all linkages and throttle plates are moving in unison and returning to the stop when released.

INTMD8, johnk... and Qavion like this.
  8. RedF1

RedF1 Rookie

Oct 29, 2019
    Gloucestershire Uk
    Full Name:
    Justin Hibberd
    Butterflies were definately closed, that's why i couldn't understand why it contuinued to rev, however it does eventually correct itself and go back to idle. I was think the TPS, but is there a way to check before i buy one (can i bypass it). I'm not a mechanic, but can do a few things on an engine. I will put some sewing oil on all the parts as well, that's a great idea. I know it's only something small, but it's atking any pleasure i have from the car

9. Pengster355

Pengster355 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
    I had sticky throttle which stayed up around 2k sometimes during the drive and stop, found out this was probably the culprit

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Attached Files:

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "Boot"? You mean the trunk-lid in U.S. terms?

I think you're hosin' us.

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    How is it you determined they were "definitely" closed? Post #7 is where it's at.

You saying the accelerator cable was loose is an indication the throttle bodies were partially open. If they are closed and the cable is adjusted correctly there should not be a lot of slack. (or they would not open all the way with your foot to the floor).

TPS could not do it. Electronically indicating a higher throttle opening than actual doesn't let more air into the engine.

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If the idle control valves/motors are stuck fully open, they would provide quite a bit of air around the closed butterflies. However, this should not bring the engine revs up to 7k (but it might).

Justin, it is worth trying with removing the idle control motors and spraying some WD40 into them. Then, holding the motor upright, rotate it rapidly with your hand left-right. You should hear clicking from inside if the air control crank is free. If not, spray more WD40 and repeat the left-right rotation. You can also try with brake parts cleaner. Sometimes, these valves accumulate sticky gunk inside which affects their operation.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Either the butterfly are actually open or the ecu thinks they are and its not reving at 7000 but it got stuck reving somewhere in the range but not idle revs after your hit 7K, Its not clear. I read it as you hit 7000 rpm then the motor was stuck revving but not likely at 7000. That where my TPS guess comes from.
    If it is ACTULLY getting stuck at 7K there is no way without it ingesting air butterfly are open, unless you have some air being sucked in somewhere and at high creates a vacuum that eventually resolves as the sucking draws down. Not sure where that would happen exactly thought just thinking out loud.

First step is verify butterfly's are not stuck, remove the TB's and inspect movement and sighs of sticking, check the cables etc, lube reinstall verify then go from there.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A car does not rev to 7k without air. And lots of ìt..

Pangea, johnk... and Qavion like this.
  17. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Stuck choke or worn float-stop.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    .....and it's metered air with the correct amount of fuel as well. And it's effecting both banks. Duh. I'm still of the opinion that this is a troll.

QSA likes this.
  19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    yes... makes sense as this makes no sense. 4 posts.. its boring in moms basement.

20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #20 Wade, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    "Metered air" precisely. ;)

So if he was talking about the throttle plate (butterflies?), viewing their position while the engine is running allows huge amounts of air to bypass the mass airflow sensor. Doesn't run very well at that point.

However, maybe his 348 has Jenvey SF throttle bodies. But I doubt it.

http://omextechnology.co.uk/page31.html

Attached Files:

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Perhaps a bored forum member. Careful to not bend a valve removing the air box or otherwise doing a "service".