RHD Ferrari F50 in Hong Kong | FerrariChat

RHD Ferrari F50 in Hong Kong

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by IcyJ, Jan 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
  2. Dream Super Cars Ltd

Feb 3, 2012
    High Wycombe UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Grayburn
    This is a factory ordered Rught Hand Drive car one of two ordered for the Sultan of Brunie.
    We sold the car to our client in Hong Kong early 2011.

The car is like brand new.

Andrew
    Dream Super Cars Ltd

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Brunei had seven (7) F50s in total, but not all delivered and not all RHD.

Marcel Massini

4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    It is also my understanding that these conversions were done by Pininfarina and NOT by the factory.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely correct.

Marcel Massini

6. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  7. GERRA456gt

GERRA456gt Formula 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Australia, Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    are they less or more valuable because they are RHD?

8. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    At least five.

9. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    That would of course depend on the market your selling it in. But looking at the conversions none of them look "clean" to me and I've seen a few of them.

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You can make a convincing argument either way. Are they more valuable because they are unique and rare? Are they more valuable because they can be used in a RHD country?
    Are they more valuable because they were commissioned by a famous original owner?

Are they less valuable because they can be used in far fewer markets as a result of being RHD? Are they less valuable because the conversion was not done by the factory itself; but an outside supplier?

I personally think they are less valuable because they can be used in fewer markets which therefore limits the demand substantially. The largest RHD market is Britain; but you can register LHD cars there, so who is left? Australia- taxes are too high to make it viable to import and register. Who else?
    The conversion was not done or officially sanctioned by the factory- even if it was done by Pininfarina to the highest standards. My understanding is that it required a whole new tub to be designed and built. The engineering drawings apparently still exist; but the supplier ATL is no longer in business.

Interesting; but IMHO definitely not as valuable.

11. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #12 250P, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Japan is also RHD, as is Brunei ;o) as is most of the Caribbean and a lot of other former British territories.

They are more valuable. They trade for more. So do the right hook F40's. As will the RHD 288's if they ever surface.

12. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Japan is RHD and they prefer LHD as it's some sort of status thing. That's another major RHD market gone. What's left is a tiny, tiny population of buyers who want RHD.

Then there is the separate issue of how well these Brunei cars have been stored and maintained. Re-commissioning one of the super cars is a very expensive exercise- been there done that and would prefer to avoid it next time around.

How many sales of the RHD supercars have there been in order to make a definitive judgement on RHD Vs LHD values?

13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Whilst it's true that there is a status thing about LHD in Japan, it's still a minority thing and the vast majority of Ferrari's there are RHD.

The last time I was there I had a look around a sports car dealership with a number of Ferrari's in stock and all but two were RHD.

LHD BMW's and Mercedes are very popular there, as are LHD Japanese cars (apparently it because it instantly shows that the cars have been out of the country and then re-imported back again and are not common, ordinary domestic market cars).

14. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Fair enough; but in the case of F50's the Japanese can legally drive a LHD F50 on the road, so why pay a premium for a RHD car?

15. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Is a front plate needed in Hong Kong? That front plate setup really ruins the look of the F50.

16. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    They do not trade for more. At least from what I've seen, when I helped move a RHD F50 the car sold for $830K with less than 4,000 KM. If you has evidence to the contrary I would love to see it. Its a very finite market, so the more information the better.

17. Garymyman

Garymyman Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2008
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Gray
    So I take it yours is LHD? Is that frowned upon in Australia?

18. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Was.... and Yes unless the car is over 30years old, LHD is frowned upon. :(

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yes LHD and I owned it for 5 years. Only managed to do about 2000 km's in that time as you can't legally drive them on the road. Most of the miles were done at the track which is fine as you experience far more of the performance envelope than you ever could on the road. In the end I got sick of looking at it rather than driving it, so I sold it.
    FWIW, I wouldn't buy a RHD as you still couldn't register it here with the rules (and taxes) as they stand.

20. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yes LHD and I owned it for 5 years. Only managed to do about 2000 km's in that time as you can't legally drive them on the road. Most of the miles were done at the track which is fine as you experience far more of the performance envelope than you ever could on the road. In the end I got sick of looking at it rather than driving it, so I sold it.
    FWIW, I wouldn't buy a RHD as you still couldn't register it here with the rules (and taxes) as they stand.

21. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    when I lived there mine was 1 of only 6 RHD 575's in the whole of Japan at that time .. LHD was not only more popular, but also attracted a higher resale .. so I'm surprised that you say the majority of Japan Ferraris are RHD now. 8 years ago I reckon +80% were LHD.

exactly .. why pay more if you don't have to

22. Dream Super Cars Ltd

Feb 3, 2012
    High Wycombe UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Grayburn
    Unfortunately you are both incorrect because after we purchased this car I contacted the factory and was sent a letter confirming that it was a Factory ordered RHD car.

So this car is a factory RHD car not converted.

23. Dream Super Cars Ltd

Feb 3, 2012
    High Wycombe UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Grayburn
    That is not a standard Number Plate at the from because when this picture was taken the car was not registered in Hong Kong so it was being driven on trade plates.

24. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Do you have any pictures you can share when you owned this car?

Paul