Rick....... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rick.......

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Huskerbill, Oct 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    KUMBAYA......

I think that everyone just needs to chill out, can't we all just get along?

How about a group hug?

If this discussion goes any longer, I'll ask to have it moved to Politics and Religion, it is getting very philosophical, almost religious in it's tenor.

I had a Garden-Delight, all veggie, imitation burger for lunch... NOT!!!

Hugs and kisses,
    Bill

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The list is endless btw: No artificial plants, no houses with fake bricks covering the wooden structure, no fake marble tops, no art prints (even signed ones), no posters, no artificial tanning lotion, no artificial sun, no teeth bleech, no Eurodisney, heck no Epcot center, no Little Glarus (WI), no contact lenses (colored or not), no 3rd teeth, no gimmes in golf, no softball, no football (according to the British who only consider Rugby the real deal).

That's the funny part about the purists getting all out of shape over a replicar: Those are relatively easy to spot compared to all the other "lies". Oddly enough we don't consider them as lies, rather just part of life. Time for some to get one.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Not sure how serious you are, but didn't you like Rick regardless? Did the car matter?

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ahem, this question comes from you who basically invented sarcasm on FChat?
    C'mon! You didn't notice the smiley on top?

I do understand though that you might ask this question because you probably never saw Rick's Daytona. One look at the interior and the case is settled. Which goes a long way towards his argument, that he is not driving it to fool people (also at concours he normally has a sign and picture explaining the underpinnings).

5. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Nope. My wife has them, in fact. But you can't bust your tail to GET them naturally. You either have them or you don't. I guess you could eat your way to large breasts, but I don't know if that would give the desired effect you know?? ;-)

So, if you don't have them, you HAVE to buy them. Not TOTALLY an apples to apples example. But one that I don't mind talking about, mind you.... ;-)

6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I think you guyys have forgotten the beginning of the original post of mine....

I am not about replica cars as much as I had an original question about

1. Why not BUY a real Ferrari if he could afford a 40K Pantera...
    He answered that. Doesn't like 308/328s and can't afford the real deal that he is interested in. I can't either by the way....well, I could AFFORD the TR, but the maintenance bills scare me right now. Thus, I can't afford it. No problem

2. I was asking about taking it to a show and hanging with a car club when he had a replica of it.
    He explained he is a car fan. End of story.

I DO have one other question for you guys....

Would a 308 replica be welcomed with open arms like Rick is?? It seems to me, that the 250GT replicas are accepted by all (even as far as LOVED in these circles). The Daytona replicas have their place in some of the circles. And the 308 replicas are SHUNNED and scoffed at.

Is this true, in your opinions?? It appears that way to me. And why then. Even if the build quality is not 100% correcton the 308, are they not still car fans?? If anyone would shed some light on this, I would love to hear it....

7. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Why can't people accept others as they are? I would accept your example along with any other car. Don't you ever go to cruise nights and enjoy all the various cars or are you strung up on Ferrari's only? I like all models and will talk to anyone, NO MATTER WHAT THEY DRIVE. The same if you came with a wife with fake boobs, or a rolex imitation. It's the person and not just what they drive. End of discussion. Start a new thread on something more than how YOU want ME to live my life!

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not quite sure why you ask about the 308. I suspect it has to do with the fact that some of us (me included) have a real one and now you'd like to see how we feel when an "imposter" parks next to us?

Anyway, first of all I don't quite understand why somebody would have a 308 replica as building one costs about as much as a real one (or more). But I guess back in the late eighties when people paid 80k for a real one it made sense.

Personally I have never come across one. I saw a few bad ones on ebay and would certainly not get upset about them if I saw them in real life, but would more feel pitty for the guy as they never look real. Especially not when based on a Fiero and the interior left untouched.

We had a 288 GTO based on a Fiero at one of our events and I was impressed with the great job that guy did. Although you could still see it was a replica. His pony was missing its tail, I felt compelled to buy him a new one. It just didn't look complete without that. As a side note: I'd love to have a 288 GTO replica on 308 basis. But even that conversion costs way too much $$$.

Skip used to have a Mera 308 and people tell me the thing sounded better than a real 308. If he still had it today I would envy him for that sound. Hopefully a tubi can fix that for me one day.

As a final comment: The more exotic the original car is, the less powerful the "poseur argument" becomes: I mean c'mon how real can a GTO in rush hour traffic be? Or a P4 (unless you live in CT)? It can't be real, it clearly has to be somebody who loves that car. Now with a 308 that is a bit different (although it still doesn't bother me personally). There the chance is good that it is a real one, but am I going to loose sleep over that as a 308 owner? Hell no. Actually I'd feel flattered if somebody puts all the effort and money into cloning my car. But it'd be foolish.

Edit: Using that same logic a Daytona used to fall somewhere in between a GTO and a 308. Unfortunately that has changed: When you see one on the street today chances that it is a replica are much better than that it is a real one. They have gone up in value so dramatically that I only see a real one at a FCA concours. Sad really. Similar story as Cobras and GT40.

9. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
  10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #35 FerrariFrank1, Oct 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NO 308 Bashing! The 308 is THE...."THE" Most recognized Ferrari EVER built. I have,literally,had people run past old,rare,far more expensive Ferrari's than my 308. Not even knowing what there were. And yelling,and pointing "LOOK! A FERRARI!!!!" at my Car at different Ferrari Shows. A Timeless Automobile in Design. The 308 is what kept Ferrari from going under in the '70's and '80's. The V8 Engined 308 was designed and built under Enzo's own watchful eye. Who's going to argue with a decision that Enzo Ferrari himself made regarding His OWN Cars? It is anywhere from 20 to 30 years old now,so,ofcourse it isn't up to todays standards. Amen......:) ( I say that every Morning when I get up...:) )

Look at the 246 Dino's? A V6 Engine. Badged as a "Dino",not a "Ferrari". But,regardless of what Anybody says,it IS a Real Ferrari. Why? because Enzo Ferrari himself said so. He loved his deceased Son,Dino,so much,that he named a Car after him. And,when these so called "baby Ferrari's" came out in the Late '60's early '70's,for about $18K. They garnered Zero respect from the so called,"Ferrari Purists". Yet,today,these Beautiful little Cars not only garner respect in the World of Ferrari. They are now worth upwards of,and over $100K!

Replica's. IF you can find a Daytona Spider right now. They are going for $600,000.00+. You wanna take a car like that out on the Road and risk it getting hit,and getting totalled,or at the very least,never being the same,by some schmuck in a rusted out,POS '87 Corolla,with No Insurance? And,if you Don't Drive it,then why even have it? Might as well get a Picasso. As the old saying goes...."Imitation is the Highest form of Compliment".

Unless,ofcourse,it looks like this......(and you all know whats coming....It's been way to long....:) )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I have no problem with garage queens. If I had an original Spyder chances are you wouldn't see me cruising down NW Hgwy or Milwaukee Avenue in rush hour traffic. Come to think of it, when do you see these cars? Why aren't they on fun outings like Chuck's drives? Do the Lake Forest and Barrington Hills people want to drive their half a million dollar treasures to the city or out in the boonies? Personally I do not care and don't fault them at all if they would not as to this day I never was sure the 575M would have made it anywhere without something funny happening, and my car was the most modern, so called bulletproof Ferrari at the latest events. If I had one, I'd be just as happy taking it out only a few times a year for a solo drive with just me and the wife up the WI border or to my friend's ranch and back. That would be enough for me and my art, happy that I have it safe and secure and use it the way I want it...

I guess its just hard to realize sometimes that there are different crowds within the Ferrari community as well. I heard from very trusted sources that Illinois has the third highest amount of Enzo's in the US, ( from dealers sales and mechanics, ) yet not a single one has done the FOC Hooters thing. Out of all the 308 gatherings, how many times has a 166 joined you?

Whatever the high end car owners do in terms of their treasures and their daily lives I have respect for. Chances are they're even too busy to check on a local chat site. In the terms of road cars, drive it like Enzo intended was never said, once! I think if I had some art, maybe a Van Gogh instead, I would be just as happy if no one even knew I had it. If my bottle cap company was worth billions and I came home to pass that work hanging in my foyer I would take a few moments, admire it and smile, then be on my way. I don't see the point in running around out on the road holding it over my head saying, "look how gorgeous this is!" Nor would I feel the need to lend it out to a museum to have others gawk at it. In this fictictious example, I earned the right to do as I please with it. So if I was happy with it on the wall, so be it. If I saw some guy in hometown claiming he had one that was better cause he made it himself with some supplies at Office Depot, that would be a bit discouraging cause its an insult to my work, my accomplishments, and the rarity of the art itself.

RocketBoy

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

Well,now I gotta come clean....my Car IS a 166MM,but with the more Modern,timeless 308 body on it....:)

And,I do agree about the 1/2 to 1 Million dollar cars becoming garage Queens. But then,that just takes away the whole POINT of it. The Car no longer is a Car. It has become an "Object D'Art". And,Cars are meant to be driven. Enzo said that His Cars were meant to be driven. Even just a little,or they become "Objects D'Crap". We all know what can happen to a car that just sits and sits. It can get ruined. Or,is that just the way the Rich guys keep their money in their pockets? By thinking,"Hey,if I don't drive it,I don't have to pay the money to Service it".....;)

You know,despite loving Exotic and Classic Cars. I always have to LOL about just how expensive of a Car a person needs to satisfy/gratify his inner burning desire to be perceived as a "Big Shot"...:)

I mean,a $350.00 Beater will get you to the same exact places as a $350,000.00 Rolls Royce,Bentley,Ferrari,Lamborghini will. (Except,maybe the Country Club...:) ) AND....you never have to worry about the beater. Only need to have Liability Insurance. Don't have to always freak out about where to Park it. Dont care if it gets stolen. Dont care about door dings. PLUS....( and this could be a Big Plus if they really Do have some sort of Celebrity) You won't get noticed in the Beater. So,you can go anywhere you want to....(That is,if they SAY that they hate getting bothered all of the time,but really crave it.) Oprah could probably drive over to her favorite Rib joint on the West side,with only a scarf,Sunglasses,and a rusty old Chevy Cavalier. And,no one would even notice! I don't know....who's really the smart one here.....:)

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Who bashed the 308?? It is still my 2nd favorite Ferrari after the TR.

I actually have been considering offering up my 328 to someone who wants to trade me their 308 + some cash. If they want to go to a 328 for extra HP or if they like them better or whatever....

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No,I didn't mean you specifically. But I was being Humorous,with serious overtones....:)

As far as Replica's go. Hey,I will bet that 75% of the people on FChat don't even own a Real Ferrari,let alone a very,Very Nice Reproduction of one. So,who gives a rats ass....Right. Doesn't matter.

(BTW....I am right with you on the favorite Ferrari's. My next one will most likely be a TR to go with my 308. Also,my 2 favorite Ferrari's.)

I am taking a Drive up to the Brat Stop tomorrow in my 308 to have some Lunch and pick up $100.00 worth of $340 Million Dollar Powerball tix....Ya hey Der!!!! I LOVE the Brat Stop!!!!....:)

15. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    If you win Powerball, you should buy Rick a TR so that he can race Bill. Hard working Bill would go all out and grab a TR as well. Look Frank, you just made a couple of collectors. Lets hope they bring their babies out the garage. Then you can meet them in your 250 TR claiming their cars are just mere modern Ferraris and there is probably 1000s of them in Florida alone...

I will be in the same area on business Thursday. I have no idea why but I love the run down to the city of Racine from Milwaukee/Green Bay. Following the always touching Vet Show by the girls, (Chelle and Spydergirl, ) I took the Maranello up there to join some buddies who were fishing. The sound shooting off all those industrial buildings on the way home was beyond words. I'd like to think I was the only 575 in Racine in 2005. It also happened to be the farthest trip I ever took in it. Surprisingly made it there and back to the NW burbs on one tank of gas!

RocketBoy

PS: You always play the same numbers Frank? Im curious as I am a suffering, more so now recovering Gots-to-go-to-Vegas addict.

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

Nope. Didn't win. But it was a fun drive up. I made it from my door to the Brat Stop in 53 Minutes! My little 308 was very happy...:) And,I got my usual Amoco Ultimate 93 Premium for only $2.89/Gal.

Got a 1/2 LB. Brat,Some warm German Potato Salad,and some Cole Slaw,and 2 Leinies for $10.00. Plus $5.00 tip. Can't beat that. Then,some Lotto Tix,3 Bottles of Sweet Cherry Wine and some Cheese Curds. Then,it was under an hour back home.

Yeah,I hear you on that "Gots to go to Veagas" thing. I was watching "Criss Angel: Mind Freak" on A&E last night. All filmed in Vegas. And,I was thinking...."Hmmmm.....Haven't been there in awhile.....:)"

17. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So Frank you must have passed close to my house since I live by O'Hare and you didn't bring me a care package? I'm hurt. I still might drive up with you to the WI border on Sunday. You have my phone number, keep me posted if you are still going. Give me a call Sunday early.

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    O.K. But,the Weather is looking to be most Frightful....Will probably have to pass this time. And,I just cannot get up that early on Sunday.....

Sorry,I had to get back home from Kenosha by 3:00PM. But,Oh Yeah,those sure are THE BEST Brats I've ever tasted. Going on over 25 Years since I had my 1st one there.

BTW....Snail Mail sent today....:)....Thanks again!!!!

19. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
  20. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wow....

I am digging the screen/blacked-out back window.

You could have saved a TON on this one over your car. And gotten "stupid looks" like this guy did, as he claims.

That is a 99 point car, if not for the missing Ferrari wheel cap on the front left wheel. Damn. Other than that though.......

Dig the interior mods.

I would buy this one. This guy is serious. He says, "No JOY RIDES" so he must totally baby this car. Plus he wants "cash in hand" to hold while you take your test drive. Yeah, like I am going to hand over $18K to some jagoff to test drive his replica Ferrari. Yeah, I'll get right on that.......

21. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Another thing that would make me happy.......

Pushing that POS into the water in the background with my own two hands......

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually doesn't look that bad. Amazingly the proportions are still there, which is unusual if it is based on a Fiero (didn't read the text, just assuming by the interior). And I do like the Koenig side intakes, something that I would do to a real TR anytime.

Sadly the interior is where the thing starts to fall apart and finally once the ignition key gets turned.

23. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    You ever see that horrible flick Twins with AHNorld and Danny DeVito? Well I guess we just found out what the ugly midget drives. Its the same car as a real TR, well kind of.

RocketBoy

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  25. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Im amazed to see a fusker so pompous and finicky about his cars. Too bad you didnt take as much care when choosing your school. Good luck on friday, cornholer. Go Buffs!