Ridiculous Maintenance Costs & Belt Changes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ridiculous Maintenance Costs & Belt Changes

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I used to think the same but my mechanic advised me to try to avoid rain as well, water is never good for electronics specially in a 30 year old car that has an opening on the engine cover, water can get inside so many components and why risk it (if you have the option of course)
    My TR alternator just failed (1 year ago it was rebuilt) and it happened after sitting in the rain, was it coincidental maybe but I just know it was working before that.
    My 360 door cable seized, after my mechanic replaced it he told me it was completely rusted inside maybe because I used to power wash it thinking “it is a car it can handle it”
    Now I try to avoid water pressure on panel gaps or any kind of area that should not get water forced inside.
    Shamile’s TR loses 6 cylinders every time he washes his car or sits in the rain. He has tried to pinpoint the reason without success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Let's back up here a bit lol

I put 72k miles on my daily driven Diablo VT Roadster with not one rain related issue.
    I have 67k miles on my 91 Testarossa with this problem only coming up after I put the car on the road after 5 years of sitting in my garage. It's a daily driver and sits outside in heavy Florida rain with never a past rain issue.
    It's just some oddball connection somewhere getting water in it and when it dries out, back to normal. I will eventually find it and all will be back to normal.

At this point, age on connections, rubber and plastic are more of an issue than the open deck design.

I'll eventually find it and will report my findings so all may benefit.

....and my multiple platinum and multiple best of show winner Murcielago Roadster is also a daily driver that sits outside at work in the rain....no issue.

Drive the car! lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ferralc likes this.
  3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Testarossa prices are sinking

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The last time my tr saw a garden hose was in 1997 after hauling it up the AlCan on an open trailer. Caked with dirt.
    Since then it has only seen wet towels.

No sign of any rust in any location. Some areas of the yellow zinc plating show age... but no rust.... None... Nada... Zip.... Nowhere

Chevys are for rain.

bpu699 likes this.
  5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I washed my testarossa a couple times. When I took the distributors out I was shocked how they looked. The testarossa engine ain’t meant for hosing down. Don’t do it..

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Don't you have the rubber weather covers on your distributors?

Never had any water getting in there.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Do you guys know how much Doug demuro, hoovie, and those guys make? There was a YouTube video where a guy ran through there YouTube stats and calculated it...

Demuro is at 300k a month. Hoovie is a 100k or so.

Let that sink in just a bit, as you go to work and toil... we all be fools ;)

8. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Yes...

Shamile likes this.
  9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Why does this even matter?

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Cuz I’m jealous, and reminds of that song from the 1980s... got to, move them refrigerators/// while they get their drugs for free... who sang that by the way?

Shamile likes this.
  11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #36 Shamile, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Hahaha!

Dire Straits

Song: Money for nothing

Album: Brothers In Arms (1985)

The track "Brothers in Arms" was featured in the Miami Vice episode "Out where the buses don't run"

Cool scene as Crockett and Tubbs are driving through Miami in the middle of the night with that song in the background.

When I first got my Testarossa, I played it coming back home from a club in Tampa at 3am on the interstate. Yeah....felt like Crockett lol

As far as the YouTube guys go, good for them.
    We all drive Ferraris here and do well in our endeavors to afford such high priced, high maintenance costs cars....don't sweat it.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Xtreme5053 and vincenzo like this.
  12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    How do you get paid for posts on You-Tube?

13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    BEST friggin vice episode ever. I just watched the ending three times the other night. My wife was like....”what are you doing?”

Shamile likes this.