right hand or left hand thread ? | FerrariChat

right hand or left hand thread ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by chritin, Sep 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Hello ti all,

The nut in the photo is very hard to unlock, and I wonder if it's a right hand thread or perhaps left hand thread, any idea about it ?
    Thanks for your help

Regis

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Not sure about the threading but that gasket shouldn't be there. That increases the gap on the center gear with the thrust washer and allows it to move back and forth. Just a sealant should be used. I would think the nut is right handed as it is staked when installed. An impact gun usually breaks them loose.

3. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Thanks a lot for your answer and the very interesting comment about the gasket.

I agree about the fact that left hand thread would be useless with a stacked nut, but according the the workshop manual, one of the gearbox nut below is left hand, and stacked too.

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    No seal as mentioned, just a thin layer silicone based sealant is used. If in doubt you should be able to track the thread with your finger nail and verify left or right hand thread. Impact gun and maybe the need for heat and / or blocking rotation with soft material is very effective. In very rare occasions more destructive action is needed, i.e. splitting the nut using very fine grinding equipment and taking extreme care not to damage the shaft. Good luck

Best, Peter

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a spare gearbox set complete without the case. I will double check the threading and report back today.

6. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Thanks again for your answers ! The thread does not go beyond the nut and I can't verify with my nail unfortunately. Veriying on your spare geabox is great, thanks in advance.

The big nuts at the end on the camshat are also blocked very hard, I want to correct their alignement.
    And the final goal is to change the synchronizer rings

Régis (from France)

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Air impact tool is the best option (and safer) for the cam locknuts.

Both transfer gear locknuts are the same thread, again much easier with the AI tool

Tony

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    #8 racerboy9, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    OK, the nut you are trying to remove is a right hand thread. The bigger nut at the other end of the shaft is a left hand thread. Also, I believe it is first gear synchonizer ring only wears on one side so you can flip it around and is good as new. Double check this because if the box has been rebuilt before this little trick may have already been used.

9. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Thanks

10. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    Thanks to all, I will try this week end with an impact tool. I think the gearbox has never been rebuilt and will invert the first gear synchronizer ring, it's a very good trick

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #11 TonyL, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    and a costly one if it doesnt work!

You have removed the top locknut, what thread was that as the bottom transfer gear nut will be the same. Both locking nuts are the same part number.

The engine rotates clockwise, so the top transfer gear will be anti clockwise (AC) when looking at the gears.

the middle transfer gear will the rotate clockwise (C) causing

the bottom transfer gear to rotate the same as the top gear. ie AC

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I usually just burp the impact gun on those and they pop free. Make sure the staked part of the nut is bent out so it doesn't impede loosening the nut.

13. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
  14. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    How did you get the nut off?

15. chritin

chritin Rookie

Jul 12, 2007
    france
    Full Name:
    chritin regis
    The only way that worked was to unlock it with some kind of flat chisel and hammer by tapping sharply in a notch in the nut. It was really stuck very hard.