RIP Robin Herd | FerrariChat

RIP Robin Herd

Discussion in 'F1' started by lorenzobandini, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Originally, Herd was the "H" in "MARCH" but I don't know if he was still involved by the time of the GTP era.

Herd's greatest achievement was probably launching the "Bruce & Denny Show" with his brilliant design of the McLaren M6 and M8 Can-Am cars.

2. #5 lorenzobandini, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    'Know all about the March co-founders (Mosley, Alan Rees, Coker and Herd; in the same vein as Costin and Duckworth in Cosworth) as I was devouring all I could about racing at the time (yeah, even Mario in F1 driving Marches). Robin was in racing past the '80s which is why I wonder....'never seen his name associated with them....

crinoid likes this.
  3. 'For certain? I know he was busy with the Indy cars at exactly the same time as the GTP cars were in service and never saw, or heard, of him being around the IMSA circuit even though the cars weren't all that successful.....
    (I know, I know...'83 (Holbert) and '84 (Lanier) but there was nothing to run against them in GTP...the 935 and T-600 were geriatric designs, and the 962 in it's infancy....) :)

Bas likes this.
  4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    lorenzobandini likes this.
  5. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    lorenzobandini likes this.
  6. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    May he rest in peace.

7. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  8. Appreciate it very much. '
    "One Adrian Newey redesigned an earlier March sports prototype under the wise eye of Robin Herd." and "Newey's monocoque design...." ;)
    I'll chalk it up to Newey, a fine engineer in his own right....

Now, the Can AM cars....?

Aaaahhhh..."Mulsanne Mike".... :)
    (I'm sure you're aware of http://www.mulsannescorner.com/ )

SPEEDCORE likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    During that period, they did that - making corporate names out of names or initials of their founders - quite a lot. Consider: Arrows, Marcos, Rondel and Token.

10. Of that too, I'm aware. Back in the seventies I did work for a newsletter (investment advisor) published by "Lynatrace, Inc." ( founded in'71).....'owner's daughter, wife, daughter. Lynelle, Nancy, Tracy. :)

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Very clever! What I find interesting is that the "Cos" in Marcos was for Frank Costin, but the "Cos" in Cosworth was for his brother Mike.