News

Rivian Electric Pickup & SUV

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by tritone, Nov 26, 2018.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    Danbury, TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I preordered the truck version earlier this week, will be interesting to see what happens over the next two years.

3. Rob Lay

Rob Lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Owner Miami 2018

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    loving it!

4. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I agree this sounds interesting. Will they really be able to deliver at the price point they are suggesting? I know Rivian has been working on a business model for many years. They were based in SE Michigan at one time and still have a presence here. The amount of money they have already spent must be staggering. I don't see the need for a truck or seven-passenger vehicle to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. It must be fun to drive but how well will it stop? Will Rivian follow an approach like Tesla and not use dealers to sell their cars? If so what they run into the same headaches Tesla has run into? How will you get the vehicle serviced? How many trucks and SUV's do they anticipate selling each year?

5. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    Danbury, TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, following Tesla's business model of direct to consumer, hopefully they have learned from Tesla. Regenerative braking should help slow it down. No word on production numbers that I could find, but they purchased a manufacturing plant from another automaker in 2015 for 15MM.

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    They are still in Plymouth, MI
    At least the design organization. Several former Chrysler design guys.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What kind of range if you tow?
    I guess the big suv version will replace Tahoes and escalades as the urban elite vehicle of choice