Rivian R1T | FerrariChat

Rivian R1T

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by blkfxstc, Apr 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've had the Rivian R1T about two weeks now and put on about 800 miles. Several have asked me to post a review, so here goes. I'll do it in bullet point format so it is not a bunch of text....

- Preordered: November 28, 2018 (I think I was number 925 on the list)
    - Delivered: March 28, 2022
    - Model: R1T Launch Edition, LA Silver Exterior, Black Mountain Interior
    - MSRP: $73,000 before $7,500 tax credit
    - Reason for Ordering: Intrigued by the performance (only performance information available at the time was 0-60 time of 3.0 seconds). I have daily driven a truck for the last 25 years, so wanted to consider this, and placed a $1,000 refundable deposit on 11/28/18, two days after it was introduced at the LA Auto show
    - First time EV owner

- Overall: very happy with it so far, good first vehicle from a new manufacturer. It is literally several vehicles in one: truck, sports car, drag racer, tow rig. Much more fun to drive than any other truck I have owned (1st generation Raptor was the nearest on the fun scale)
    - Performance: incredible for a 7,000 lb vehicle, truck or not. Every bit a quick as my F12 (hits much harder from a dig due to the instant torque). Excellent handling even compared to a sports car, would destroy all other stock trucks on a road course.
    - Build Quality: So far, good for a first attempt. Fit and finish does not compare to world class manufacturers, however, all who have the Rivian and Tesla all say the Rivian is better. Panel gaps are not terrible, but general panel alignment could be better (I believe their panel stampings will need redesign to accomplish this)
    -Styling: this is subjective, so I will not address this. I will say it looks "sportier" in person versus the pictures, there is more styling there than I thought.
    - Bugs: yes, there are some. The UI will need updating over time (which will be done via OTA updates), nothing severe enough to prevent driving or using it. Some owners have had worse problems, however.
    - Towing: I have not towed yet, but it is rated at 12,000 lbs max
    - Electricity / Gas usage: seems to be on par with EPA estimates for my usage, I am using between 40-45 KW over 100 miles driven. At around 10 cents per KW, it is costing me $4-4.50 per charge at home for 100 miles driven. Same 100 miles in my 2020 Ram Limited Hemi 4x4 uses 6 gallons of regular gasoline. Assuming $4 a gallon for regular gas, that is $24 per 100 miles driven.

- If you want one, I believe there are about 80k preorders right now. They are only building 15K R1T/R1S this year, so your wait will be a while unless you buy preowned. Additionally, base prices went up about 20% on 03/01/22, so a truck like mine is pushing $90k now before tax credit.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

Bullfighter, 375+, Cigarzman and 8 others like this.
  2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Congrats!

What is the rated range and real world that you are getting on one charge? What happens when you tow with the range calc, does it know your towing and adjust. Tesla has superchargers, how long does it take to level-2 charge at home, and have you tried anything faster via third party charge stalls and/or the Tesla supercharger now that they allow other cars to charge there.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  3. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    EPA rated at 314 miles. I am only charging to 70% (suggested for daily use by Rivian), but the math supports that range is obtainable. Yes, it automatically adjusts range for the given mode and how you are using it. I am charging on a 50A circuit at home (so pulling 40A), it charges at 9-10 KW per hour, so it usually takes 5ish hours to gain 100 miles of range. I have not used a DC fast charger yet.

KKSBA and Davesvt2000 like this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I am very excited for mine. Thanks for this write up.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Congrats!

Only some European Tesla superchargers allow 3rd party cars to charge at them. In the US Rivian's can charge at the Electrify America network, which is pretty extensive.

KKSBA likes this.
  6. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I placed a R1S pre-orded in December of last year. Seems like it'll be a while. Of course there is also a chance that Rivian stumbles badly in ramping production up and never makes it but hopefully with Amazon on board that's not a significant risk.

technom3, Davesvt2000 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t think the company is going anywhere.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  8. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
  9. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    About 1,400 miles now, gets lots of attention, fast as stink, corners really well (the McLaren suspension engineers they hired did a great job with ride quality and handling dynamics). Thought about flipping it, decided to keep it.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. Thanks for the info and write up. What kind of range do you get between charges?

T

11. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm only charging to 70% (best for battery life) since I am charging daily (drive about 100 miles a day), gets me between 200-225 miles depending on the drive mode used. Full charge would get me over 300 miles.

tomc and TexasF355F1 like this.
  12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Are you able to set the amount the battery charges to?

13. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, either 70% (max battery life), 85%, or 100%. I charge daily, so use 70%.

TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    God the truck looks great. What an amazing product.

tomc and blkfxstc like this.
  15. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    tomc likes this.
  16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Saw our first Rivian out in the wild while we were on a trip to Oregon. Have to say it was pretty snazzy looking.

T

17. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sure, no problem.

Still really happy with the truck. Have about 7k miles on it now. My truck was part of the passenger seat recall, they sent a tech to my house at did it at my convenience, very easy. The software updates have been easy and each one has made improvements. Screens have become less glitchy with software updates. No real issues to report with my particular truck.

KKSBA, msdesignltd and tomc like this.