360 - RMR Intake installed | FerrariChat

360 RMR Intake installed

Discussion in '360/430' started by Performify, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Performify, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2020
    I've always been a big fan of the 360 CS and have decided to undertake an initiative to CS-ize my car. More on that soon.

One of the pieces that always struck me on the design of the CS was the functional air intake and i was excited to see that RMR offered a replica CS Intake.

I installed it last week along with the CS TCU tune and wanted to share both driving video (short, will have a better video with some better intake noise). Initial driving impressions -- in car with the Tubi exhaust it's not immediately noticeable sound, but windows down you can definitely hear a noticeable difference. I have not dyno'd the car so i can't comment on performance, but i love the design and enhancing the sound and it was worth it to me.

Not affiliated, but I know @RANDY6005 is a member here.

Getting installed:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

outside view:

closer: gasket was included

Finished product, up close:

Entire engine bay:

2. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I did mine also

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Performify likes this.
  3. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I did mine on my 360 Spider. A little tougher to mount, but worth it! Love the sound and the look!

Performify likes this.
  4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Okay, forgive my ignorance, but what about the CS intake makes it "functional" implying that the standard Modena is not? I'm confused....

Also, what is the purpose of the three small holes in the duct work where it bolts up to the quarter panel? I have the carbon fiber duct from a Challenge car and it is completely open, same size as the opening on the panel. Confused and tired....

5. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sorry i guess i should say "improved air intake" instead, because you're right of course, the scoop is "functional" regardless if there's a box behind it -- it's just something i personally appreciate about the design, the "ram air" concept of the air scoop feeding right into the intakes -- it's just one of the things that personally struck me when i was first dreaming of this car and reading about the CS design.

My understanding - the stock 360 air intake system has a hole about the size of a silver dollar that allows water to exit from washing and rain water. At the of bottom of the air box two small holes to drain water as well , The challenge carbon fiber air intake has a small hole as well, less than the size of a dime. I am not the designer but i would presume these are for drainage as well.

KC360 FL likes this.
  6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    J3586 and Performify like this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Helmholze Resonator—/ buh bye!

Performify likes this.
  8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #9 Ghostdiver, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Function wise, all three versions (Modena/Spider/Challenge Stradale) are the same. All three use an aluminum base that is painted either black or silver depending on the model, with the CS having the carbon fiber lids. All three of them have the hard pipe with the Helmholtz resonator which is slightly different for each of the models. The 360 Challenge (actual race car) is the only one with the flex tube, since intake noise really wasn't a factor in the full on race car. Several people, me included have just removed the Helmholtz resonator and filled/plugged the holes either by taping over them or sealing the up somehow. Just a different way to do things.

There are drain ports in all of them, with the drain in the Modena being rectangular shaped just past the opening if I recall. I can't speak to the Spider or Challenge Stradale as they each have different P/N's for the intake tube/Helmholtz resonator tube. The Challenge inlet is about a 1/2" hole and I would presume it was for water as well. Just my opinion, it looks a little strange to have the three holes facing the front instead of opening up the entire structure. Really, for water to be sucked into the engine, through there, would take a deliberate act, since the airbox has such a large volume, and the box itself has drain holes as well. Not to mention, the water would have to make it's way past the filters as well.

I don't have any test data showing this, but it's been claimed that adding just the Challenge style intake will increase power by given the car a "ram air" type setup. I have some issues with this. The first being, to increase the pressure of the airbox, thus creating a ram air system, it would have to be sealed, which it is not. Also, it is a very large system, that moves and flexes which does not help when trying to create a ram air effect. Also, it's been stated up to 20hp can be gained by this. I'm not doubting that some gains might be realized. However, it's been stated by several sources that the mirror stalks are the limiting factor as they disrupt the air flow going into the intake duct. This is why the CS has the uber expensive carbon fiber stalks and why the 430 has the dual stalks. Also, this limiting factor is relevant only at track speeds or those speeds that will get your car impounded and you a trip to the gray bar motel.

Need4Spd, RANDY6005 and Performify like this.
  9. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    This is the CS intake system above picture

11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Above picture is the 360 Challenge the air intake tube is wider than the CS

13. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  14. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Above standard 360 Modena

15. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    RMR looks like they copied the 360 Challenge care not CS IMHO the in take tube the RMR uses should not have that gap, less air that can make it in the air box just make sense. I had to have cut the front of the air box back so the opening can match the bigger air intake tube from 360 Challenge and weld in aluminum ring.

Performify likes this.
  16. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    RANDY6005 likes this.
  17. Rob Chiang

Rob Chiang Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 1, 2019
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Chiang

18. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I am not sure that device is in fact an actual Helmholtz resonator.

I have designed loudspeakers with a Helmholtz resonator concept, and there are two (2) separate chambers within the box tuned an octave apart based upon the free air resonance of the driver.

This appears is more of a wave interrupter then an actual Helmholtz as was found on many foreign car exhaust systems before the main exhaust muffler

I believe this device operates to attempt to stabilize the incoming air resonance

I do believe that a free air flow such as demonstrated with the flex pipe is going to offer better intake air flow however

So I think an uninterrupted tube is the best choice.

Sj_engr and Need4Spd like this.
  19. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Can someone tell.me what size hose is needed to modify the factory Modena intake. Basically cut off the original resonator.

20. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    5 inch check with clean512 to make sure let me know.
    I am 99.9 percent sure

21. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Let me get this straight for those who did it
    5 inch Neoprene Single-Ply Air Duct Hose
    2x 5 inch adjustable clamps
    Cut off the original air duct attached

Vegas CS and clean512 like this.
  22. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Yes

Vegas CS and toussi1 like this.
  23. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    You can find on Amazon or just google aluminum turbo 5inch tube elbow fit it up and us a 10inch chop saw and cut it to fit. hand held metal saw blade.
    HPS sales 5inch silicone sleeves buy two, one goes airbox to tube and one from intake to tube and paint it satin black or pouter coat.
    Let me know if you want me to take pictures of mine to help you ?