Road & Track Dino/911 Article | FerrariChat

Road & Track Dino/911 Article

Discussion in '206/246' started by vintageracer27, May 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    An interesting article worth reading is in the June, 2005 Road & Track, comparing designer Freeman Thomas' personal 246 GT and 1969 911E (modified). His passion for both cars is evident and perspective on design spot on. Of particular interest is the contrast between a German and Italian take on the same theme. Some great photos as well. I have to admit my bias, however, as I share Mr. Thomas' love of the same cars (1972 246 GT and 1970 911 S, also modified).

2. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    For the record, this car is owned by Jerry Murray. Freeman does indeed own a L series 246GT, but his friend's car, which is fully restored, was used for the photoshoot. Proper credit was not given in the article.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Tom,

Thank you, Pat Paternie, the writer and photographer had given Jerry Murray credit for his Dino but R&T for some reason edited it for copy. As soon as I saw the story I contacted Pat and Jerry. Pat has promised to do a retraction in an upcoming issue. He said it was done without his knowledge. My goal was to share the article with my good friend Jerry and Rgruppe member who also has an outrageous 3.5l twinplug slide injected street '72 911. My "L-Series" Dino *00474* is of the same model as Jerry's *00908* except Jerry's is fully restored to Platinium and is gorgeous. Jerry, Pat and I had a great time driving and photographing the cars.

Freeman

4. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    WOW! I can't believe it. Well, actually I can because both the Dino and the 911 S are fantastic cars. I used to be mildly interested in 911s because there was so little visual change from one to the next. There was respect but no real passion for them. I spent some time around my friend's beautiful 911S and it's in the back of my mind to add one to the family.

Congrats on the article and on having the 2 cars,

Manny

5. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Tom:
    Thanks for the clarification on the Dino. Always interesting to hear the story behind the story.

Freeman:
    I am certain that R&T will give your friend proper credit.
    Your Dino or not, I thoroughly enjoyed the article (read it three times on a recent flight). Enjoy your cars in good health!
    p.s. what color is YOUR Dino?

-Brian Wise

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No offense, but R&T has become rather moribund over the last ten years. Actually - just plain drab. Same old stories modified to fit the current models. No in depth coverage of anything interesting anymore. No interesting profiles, no interesting historical analysis, reduced [read as virtually none] F-1 coverage. The Roundel has a more interesting and informative technical section (my God - I just read something amusing and informative about anti-freeze and Camaros in Roundel), and the old ads that used to make R&T especially interesting have disappeared. So much of R&T and Car and Driver have become interchangeable that it is hard to justify subscribing to either. The FChat website is of much more interest [both general AND specific] than either of those two fish-wrapper magazines.

By the way, Roundel is a pretty great club mag, in part because of Satch Carlson -- and because even though partially sponsored by BMW, it critiques the heck out of many BMW practices and designs, including iDrive and the Bangle Butt 5s and 7s. On the otherhand, Star (Mercedes) and Quattro (Audi) are WAY TOO BEHOLDEN to their respective masters.

Like I said, no offense, but . . . .

Mark