Rob: Is it me, or is the site less active? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rob: Is it me, or is the site less active?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ART360, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I've been on less for two reasons:

1) It irritates my wife. It shouldn't, but it does. 'nuff said.

2) Mr. Squid put it in a "nutshell", so to speak. Too many people on FChat apparently hang around for the privilege of being first to respond to a stupid post. And why do they respond to stupid posts in the first place? It sure as hell beats me......

I think FChat is great, I enjoy it a great deal, it took me a while to get used to the new format, but I'm not a computer nut. Many, many thanks to Rob!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree with this a little. I wish the quality of posts was a little higher and even the posting of irrelevant images we've already seen a hundred times. Each one of those is taking up bandwidth and hard drive space forever!

3. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    But that's difficult for anyone to find out...if you, and all the other longtime members, have already seen a picture...
    For many of us it would be the first time to see a picture.

But, for if it's worth something, I think this is a great Forum. One of the two forums I visit daily! I find here lot's of funny pics, nice stories etc. And sometimes I hope to contribute to it too :)

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Not really as much what you mention, but the Maranello Man type images.

5. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    okay... :) think I know what you mean

6. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Rob, I agree. I should have said the flaming was bad a while ago. The site is certainly MUCH more enjoyable when not having to read all that garbage. And as you said, other sites are much worse than it ever was here. I just have a better visit experience when everyone is on good behavior.

Anyway...please update my post count as I look like a real rookie.

Man this site sucks!! :)

(one day I'll learn how to use the smile function. and while I'm at it, can someone please explain to me what the 'post subject' option is?)

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Submit the form please. Link under Temp Links & Bugs section.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    4,420 Unique visits yesterday!

210 more than last Monday.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Squid,

You mean you WOULDN'T LIKE being called a "stooge" by someone with the catchy name of Peter Gozinya, legendary Fredericksburg Enzo owner?

Just my .02. I think Rob has done a pretty good job with the policing effort, and with the new software.

This site has great value for tech support, hard to find parts and general info for newbies, as I once was myself. It wouldn't hurt if we could all talk as if we were face to face. I don't think Nika will be back. FWIW

Speedy for President

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks Speedy, I think we do pretty good in the long run for this many users.

How does everyone like my "Welcome Email"? Any suggestions? I try to stop things before they start. :)

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL - I have it figured out!

Because I'm defaulting post order to Top-Bottom everything has gone to heck. Everyone complained and didn't believe me that my method of Bottom-Top was far superior. Now all the user peons are sitting helpless in a pool of drool trying to figure out what went amiss. But I know! :D

How is your carpel tunnel syndrome? My decreased scrolling and page number clicking has mine only in a mildly advanced stage.

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Curious who else has kept it as bottom-top....I have.

--Dan

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    nope. i went back to "normal" :)

since you can jump right to the first unread post, there's no benefit anymore. either way you have to scroll the exact same distance (statistically speaking) up or down.

doody.

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Did anybody mention the fact that we now have "buddy" lists and "ignore" lists? Seems to me that if everybody starts cultivating an extensive IGNORE list, then as far as each individual user goes, their view of the board will be one of quiet, non-desenting, parallel viewpoints that are devoid of any controversy, and in general, the board will have the tranquility of a Soviet prison or a Nazi concentration camp. From their individual viewpoint, all opinions will march in one direction in one Orwellian fashion. I prefer open discussion and multiple viewpoints. It is certainly more interesting than a giant list of self censored postings.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, b(r)other. Commentary elsewhere indicates only the bottom-feeders get ignored by those who use that feature which has been mentioned time and time again. Like the bulk of free-thinking members, I don't ignore anybody. Though not a soul on this board marches to the same beat, we came to the show to see Ferrari play and critique afterwards.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree, I wouldn't ignore anyone, even if I wasn't the admin, but it's there for the few that do want it. You don't know how many emails I've gotten telling me to ban our block someone, well, now you can do it yourself.

This software has timeouts too, pretty funny, I can put people on a certain probation and it automatically takes them off at the end. :)

17. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon

Rob- I just quoted a 3PB (that's "PetaByte" or 1,000 Terrabytes, or 1,000,000 Gigabytes) system for a client. It's not as big as you'd think actually, with Apple and others pushing 2+TB in 4U.

Dan- I too set the perference back to the 'old FC way'. I've gotten used to that way, and I just like it. Not because it's nessicarily any easier, or better, but because it's not like other stuff out there. It's, dare I say it, kind of exotic.

Best!
    Ben.

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. I have 200 GB at home for my regular PC (I do digital videos). 500 GB would be just adding another hard drive.

Anyway, wanted to publicly thank Doody for showing me some tricks (subscribe to Forums and access via the User CP) and have to say this is a lot more efficient now than even the old board was. From a whiner to a believer.
    :)

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL, the world has come to an end! Andreas is on board now! :D

20. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't like it but I'm sure to some extent thats just familiarity. My post number is like I'm all new and virginal, Rob, when you get a spare minute I'd appreciate that fixed.

Have to say on two other forums I used to frequent, they changed the software and the sites died real quick after that (one high end hifi, one high end Italian motorcycle) I'm sure that wont happen to this site though. Shame we live in a world where everyone seems to want to change things but I guess sometimes its unavaoidable for technical reasons tec

21. ART360

ART360 Guest

It looks like the new board is finally picking up some steam. There are more topics, and that does seem like the board is spread out. Less political thought also.

Art

22. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    and that is a good thing??

23. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Less political thought also."

No fault of mine. Can't believe my posting on Howard Deans's shenanigans didn't even dredge up one reply on the Off Topic board.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

25. ART360

ART360 Guest

I never saw it. I'm sure I've have responded, but I didn't see it. Still working to get the 360 before the end of the year.

Art