Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Robb, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #126 Robb, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #127 308 GTB, Mar 23, 2015
    Chromostereopsis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    My eyes!... :)

I think Blu Pozzi is the winner without the red.

Robb

4. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Those Montreal pics bring back *A LOT* of memories. Here's one:

In '99 (I think) I was supporting Jim Place's car. Jim wound up finishing third and after parking the car in the pit lane, went up to the podium (where someone like Jean Todt or Michael Schumacher handed out the trophies!). I stayed with the car. After a few minutes, the marshalls were telling me to move the car out of pit lane. Me: "Uh, but I'm waiting for my driver..." Marshall: "Get it out of here!" Me: "Okaaaay...." So I hopped in, fired that bad boy up, made a U-turn at the end of pit lane (this was before the reconfiguration that we see now), and drove back up the main straight in the counter-race direction to the track exit along the long back straight. Along that front straight, people in the stands were cheering like *I* was the driver! Talk about feeling like a rock-star! heh heh.... :)

5. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What an amazing score! You've got me thinking I should try and find the mechanic that worked on my car. At least I should contact Ferrari of Beverly Hills, who were the car sponsors, to see if they have anything. Any chance you could convert the VHS to DVD? If so, would you be willing to share with other Challenge car guys? Of course I would be willing to share in the cost to do so.

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'm happy to upload the tape to youtube and email copies for easy download.

I'm taking it to the shop for the conversion today. :)

Robb

7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Now that is a great memory.

Robb

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Just dropped off the Montreal tape. The video technician should have it ready for lunchtime Tuesdsy on a thumbnail drive for me in AVI and MP4 formats.

Hope everyone is looking forward to great stuff from 1998... :)

Robb

9. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Bill Story Sr. He was the team manager for us then. In thread #123 in the red jacket is Bill Story Jr.

Robb...Looks like Tom sent you some nice items there.

My driver got disqualified for pulling a NASCAR "maneuver" on another driver. LOL

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Tom Jones!

Great to see you on board this thread. I'm very appreciative of your help as well as Tom Jackson's. I am trying to get all the facts right for the books. Great history of the team and all those involved. I'm looking forward to seeing you all in May in NC for more great stories over food and drinks. And I will be sure to bring the cameras.

Please feel free to add as much as you can and of course send me a copy for the book! :)

Robb

11. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    #136 360gtracer, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Yep, that's what I thought! Bill Story was a GREAT guy to work with - I can't even begin to say how much I learned from him. Some little tips/tricks that I still use to this day (and probably painfully obvious to you pros!).

Bill Jr. was a good guy too - gave me a signed tech sticker (after the season was over, of course) for my scrapbook in '96.

Haven't heard from Bill Sr. in years - is he still in FL? Went to see his garage there once, was rebuilding brakes on his C4.

Thanks!

gp

p.s. - I think that's also Bill Sr. in the background of post #83 photo.... :)

12. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    #137 ferrarioldman, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    I visited with Bill Sr. in Florida many years ago also. We would usually talk at least once a year but it has been a couple of years since we spoke. I need to try and reach him soon just to see how he is doing. I'm heading down to Florida in October for a vacation so maybe we can visit again.He and I got along well but some of the guys didn't like his "military style" of doing things.

In post 83, that is me with #43 and Greg Dickson with #32. That picture looks more like Homestead than Texas but I could be wrong.

13. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    If you talk to Bill, please tell him George from FoW sends his regards. He and wife Jan were such super nice people - a couple of my very favorites from those days. I didn't mind his "military style" at all - kept me on my toes! :)

I'm not sure if it's Homestead (though I agree, it does look like it), but I am pretty sure it's NOT TWS. As I recall (and I could check my own photos to confirm) even the grandstands at TWS were concrete. And I think the front "straight" banking was steeper than in that photo....

Thanks again!

gp

14. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    TWS has grass on both sides of the wall that separates hot pit from the track, so pretty sure it is NOT TWS.

15. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    #140 ferrarioldman, Mar 26, 2015
    I spoke to Bill yesterday. He is still in Florida. 83 years young and still going strong. He has a Porsche 916 that he was working on at the time I called. Traded the C4 for a 575 six speed. Still sounds like the Bill I remember. The next time I talk to him, I will give him your regards George.

Robb: Bill said he may still have some things from the FCI Challenge days and was going to look and see what he can find.

Attached picture, Left to right, Jay Smith, Bill Story, Me, Tom Jackson.

16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Tom,

Great to hear about Bill and a great photo. I still have so many photos to post that you and Tom Jackson have shared. Exciting times.

Robb

17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I know many of you all have already seen my other thread on the great VHS tape I received from Tom Jackson. I've turned it into a digital copy and put it on YouTube.

Really great stuff from the Montreal Race in 1998.

https://youtu.be/vFzlHAE30CQ

Robb

18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #143 Robb, Mar 26, 2015
    Picked up a vintage SpeedVision suit from ebay thanks to the quick notice of 308GTB (a main sponsor in 1998 and 1999.). Thanks Barry.

I know the teammate to our driver in 1999 wore this suit - he was the founder of SpeedVision.

Not sure if it will fit me or my brother yet.... But excited just to put it on the wall none the less.

Robb

19. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #144 Robb, Mar 26, 2015
    And also thanks to 308GTB's link - also picked up a couple of IMSA PSCR patches of different sizes.

More cool stuff to search for with the challenge car... For those that love their history. :)

Robb

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #145 308 GTB, Mar 27, 2015
    You're welcome, Robb. If you hadn't texted me that evening while I was at my computer, you might have missed that suit. I did a quick search for a SpeedVision Nomex racing suit and there it was!

Race Image USA is another good place to find a professional driver's suit. Although they sell race-worn NASCAR suits with tons of patches on them, I found this suit worn by Bobby Labonte in the 2006 Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona race. His suit fits me perfectly and is pretty low-key. It's perfect for track events. It will make its return to Daytona at a two-day event April 9th and 10th...

21. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Hey, great to hear from/about Bill, even remotely. Not too surprised about the 575, like an updated C4, right? :)

Another funny note - when I visited him, they had a first gen silver Miata. Bill found that a 348 grille (complete w/ prancing horse badge) fit in the mouth of the Miata, so there it was! I confess I stole the idea and put a prancing horse on the grille of my Spitfire! :)

gp

22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Heading to NC today for work through the week. Will be meeting with Tom Jones, Steve Barney and Tom Jackson among other team members for my car back in the day.

Excited to hear the stories and finding new pieces of its history.

Robb

23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #148 Robb, Apr 27, 2015
  24. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Now that is seriously cool. Going on the race suit?

25. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    Incredible. This is one of the top 5 threads in the whole house.