Robert Kubica Is Back in F1 | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Robert Kubica Is Back in F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Jun 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It is probably the rally crash in 2011, it ended his F1 career--maybe not?

Bas likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    you are correct.

"However, that does not appear likely after it has emerged that it would trigger a reimbursement of a substantial lifetime insurance payout Kubica received for being permanently unable to race in F1 following his horrific rally accident."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/kubica-return-hindered-by-insurance-issue/

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Thanks for this article - it says however that whereas a one-off return was not likely because of this, a "permanent" return could be possible (I guess in that case there might be a financial agreement, which would not make sense for one single race).

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How is Lance going to feel after he's beaten by an old one armed man from Poland?

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    good question ,if it happens .Right now he is 4 points ahead of the vastly experienced Massa....in his rookie year.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He’ll ask Massa back once again

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Massa has been faster than Stroll on just about every session this season. Massa was ahead of Stroll in Baku when he had a mechanical problem. People tend to forget that.

Bas, Flavio_C and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Agreed, F1 is a funny old world .

Any chance of Nicole shocking the world again ..with a return to Williams? (cough)

9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 14, 2017

Kubica strong option for Williams test says Lowe

Paddy Lowe says Robert Kubica is "definitely a strong option" to get the green light for a test in Abu Dhabi.

For several days, it has been rumoured that the former Renault and BMW driver will get a chance to prove himself in Williams' 2017 car in the post-race Abu Dhabi test following the forthcoming season finale.

"We are considering what the best options are for the two days of tyre testing, and he (Kubica) is definitely a strong option," team boss Lowe told the Finnish broadcaster C More.

With Felipe Massa retiring, there are other candidates to replace the Brazilian veteran as well, including Paul di Resta, Pascal Wehrlein and Daniil Kvyat.

"We're open minded," Lowe said.

"The important thing is that we have the best lineup next year in terms of performance."

It is rumoured that Toro Rosso refugee Kvyat would bring Russian sponsors to Williams, but Russian motor racing chief Igor Yermilin thinks Kubica has the best chance.

"In purely sporting terms, they are approximately equal, but from the point of view of PR, probably the Kubica story is preferable," he told Sportbox.

10. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    The only reason to replace Massa with the aforementioned drivers is to lower costs (salaries). No technical justification whatsoever.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Massa is probably not as quick as he used to be. It is difficult to say when we have only his teammate for comparison. Hard to say how fast or slow Stroll is but he does seem to be out of his depth.

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If you could magically slot Lewis/Vettel/Alonso/Max into that Williams,you would see what it could really do ,with the Merc donkey in the back.

13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I think a test for Kubica at Abu Dhabi is the logical next step. And if he is chosen for 2018, the press it would bring to Williams would have sponsors signing up to be part of the story...and at a good price. Comparing Kubica to Massa in terms of desire and ambition, I think Kubica would bring a needed hunger to the team. Remember he has already proven to be fast in the Renault test day with a 2017 car. And that was a one day test with no prior experience in the car. I think all the other candidates for the seat have none of the energy and freshness that Kubica can deliver. They are already has-beens. Kubica is a fast driver who's career was interrupted. Now he has fought his way back and I think the F1 fans would love to see what he can do given some real seat time...and I think a lot of them would be cheering for him to succeed. It would be far more interesting than the annual Mercedes/Ferrari soap opera.

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 16, 2017

Villeneuve, Montoya, question Kubica comeback

Two former F1 drivers have cast doubt on Robert Kubica's ability to successfully return to formula one next year.

More authoritative sources are now joining French broadcaster Canal Plus in claiming that after a test for the Pole in Abu Dhabi, Kubica will be announced as Lance Stroll's teammate at Williams for 2018.

Williams co-founder and former technical boss Patrick Head backed the team's decision to give Kubica a test after the forthcoming F1 finale.

"Robert was one of the best drivers in F1 of recent years," he is quoted by Finland's Turun Sanomat.

"Only he knows how ready he is for the challenge. He was seriously injured, and Williams wants to find out what his situation is.

"If he is able to perform from a physical point of view, he is a very good choice," Head added.

Brazil's Globo claims that while other drivers were considered to replace Felipe Massa next year, Kubica's talent and a reported EUR 8 million in sponsorship collated in part by co-manager Nico Rosberg clinched the deal.

But not everyone is convinced.

1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve thinks Kubica's permanently injured right arm means the 32-year-old is a safety risk.

"It's not just about the test where he has to get out of a stationary car with the Halo, which is already quite hard," the Canadian told Germany's Auto Bild.

"What about a start where he has to abruptly dodge an object? I doubt you can do that with one hand. From my own experience I know you cannot," Villeneuve said.

"I think the FIA needs to think carefully about how they can be 100 per cent sure that Robert is able to avoid accidents. Kubica himself should also think carefully about whether he wants to.

"This is not about laptimes, he also has a responsibility to his colleagues. The same is true of Williams. If there is a serious accident, the responsibility will be great," Villeneuve added.

Another former Williams driver, Juan Pablo Montoya, agrees.

"Honestly, it's a joke," said the Colombian.

"I'm sure Robert is no longer 100 per cent capable of pushing a formula one car to the limit."

The media report claims current F1 drivers may raise the issue of Kubica's apparent F1 return in the FIA briefing in Abu Dhabi next Friday.

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Two has-beens that no one in F1 would hire today, giving their (jealous) opinions on a man who has worked his ass off to be given a chance to race in F1 again. Jack is a poser and a one trick pony whose ego is bigger than his talent. He makes Hamilton seem like Fangio. As for Montoya, he is still a good racer...but I smell envy on his breath. He never had the emotional maturity to survive in F1, and now he puts down Kubica because Montoya will never be made the same offer..

daytona355, E60 M5 and BMWairhead like this.
  16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Jacque Villeneuve saying this in context of how many wrecks in NASCAR he "didn't avoid", and caused/was the cause is pretty funny.

"I think the FIA needs to think carefully about how they can be 100 per cent sure that Robert is able to avoid accidents

daytona355 likes this.
  17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Montoya kept on racing even with a broken head. He can't even dodge a camera.

(NSFW)

18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I have to say though, I think I'm too negative on Jacque, there are moments where he did some very impressive driving.

But then there are other moments that are what I remember him by most, and those are embarrassing.

BMWairhead likes this.
  19. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Kubica represents a youth movement for Williams. He is 4 years younger than Massa and 6 years younger than Kimi. Williams' drivers average would be 26. The average at Ferrari is 34 and at Mercedes, it is 30. Even Red Bull has an average age of 24.

20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I never considered that, it's pretty interesting, although i just want to check, is it down to stroll's racing age (12 years old by the look of it)? Hehehehe

21. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Average age in a group of two is totally irrelevant.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Dutch are claiming Kubica back, 2 year contract.

Personally don't buy it as a) they want to further test him and b) why give him 2 years if he's now ''unproven''?

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is no way I am hiring Kubica if I don't feel he is faster than Stroll. There's a lot of people out there they can choose from if all they wanted was someone to follow Stroll's slipstream.

Stroll is paying for his driver's seat. With Kubica they are paying for. He better be faster or there's no point to it.

Bas likes this.
  24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I guess until there's an official statement, it's still a rumor.
    Given the way Williams seems to be selecting their drivers currently, it's only depending on financial arrangements (i.e. linked sponsorships); regarding 2-year contract, it's not really meaningful since there could be exit clauses.
    And my bet is that Williams will not actually pay Kubica, he'll have to provide funding with his sponsors.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hmmm..... doesn't explain a 2 year contract then. If his sponsors back out they are still obligated.