Rob's 2021 Timing Belt Adventure | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rob's 2021 Timing Belt Adventure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Jul 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have not done a 308 in a while but on many you cannot slide the belt pasy damper. So just rattlegun off the nut and slide back damper and put belt on.

The one turn is not an issue. I always keep turning until all 5 marks come back. I always want to verify reference points. I still set tension by hand so cannot help you there.

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The last time I did a belt swap I think it took 16 revolutions to get all the marks lined up again, if I remember correctly.
    That's a lot of work for an old guy!!!!!

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Rob, you are kinda right. One turn gets you TDC but on a different engine stroke. It does allow the cam loading to be different and belt tension is different as regards to the pulley next to the tensioner. Blah Blah Blah. Two turns gets all the marks lines up and again is TDC.
    I usually turn the crank a few times and recheck the belt tension. For me it is usually just a feel thing. I do have an electronic tension tester and I have used it and I am trying to log the results and have an idea of what it needs to be. Something for the next Gen to have when I move on maybe. Or maybe I'll just take it to the grave with me, who knows, I have to find some younguns that want to know first.

brian.s likes this.
  4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

Thanks for all your input! The belts are on, and I felt pretty confident on how that all went. It has been a while but as I was doing it my memories flooded back! Here are some pics.

I use the wood block on my press because even though I bought one made in the United States the table was never parallel to the ram. Taking the bearings off an hour with the easiest part of this whole service! When I was pressing those bearings on they were lined up better, I just set it up to take some photos!

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #30 robertgarven, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Friends,

Thanks to all of you that I follow this thread or commented. I finally got everything back together after my major service. I charged the battery and I went to turn the car over and all the electrics went out at once. I've never had this happen before and electronics is not my real strong suit so I'm asking for some suggestions.

The only thing I did was replace the alternator with a rebuilt one from Dino parts but those guys are really good so I can't imagine it's that. I hooked it up exactly like the other one was.

None of the fuses are blown, the ground strap is tight and I'm just looking for suggestions on where to start. When I turned the key to the accessory notch the fuel pump was working but when I turned it to start, all the lights went out, and now when I turn it nothing happens and all electrics are off like someone threw a major switch which my car does not have. I'm hoping there's a simple solution to this.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions

Rob

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well that sux! Recheck your wiring to the alt. Also starter relay?

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I always rebuild the alternator as it's Bosch but not a common number. I have no idea what special about it but of course, it is!!

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry...late with that comment...

Has your battery lost charge while you worked?

Not much required to rattle the fuel pump but going out when loaded would mean a dead battery, to me.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    All the lights are SUPPOSED to go out when you are starting your car. It sends all the juice to the starter. If you starter is not spinning at all, start there.

Measure the battery voltage to see if it's good.

Put a volt meter (On V dc mode) red probe to the starter solenoid, black probe to chassis ground (any point on the body). Have your wife turn over the key to start (DAMN sure the gearbox is in NEUTRAL or she will kill you), and see if you get 10V or more at the solenoid. IF not, it's your ignition switch.

10. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It could be the actual electrical switch on the back of the ignition lock. These tend to oxidize and the contacts can be pitted from arcing. I noticed that things look good in the on position, but when turned to the start position (all the way to the right) everything goes dead. Try going back and forth several times to "exercise" the contacts.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Sounds like battery or bad connection to the battery. Check the battery charge and terminals (if loose), clean?

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I am an idiot, it was this. I will probably put another one on as I work on the car so much but wish they were better made although it did last 15+ years...

Rob

BTW everything went out, like a master breaker was thrown. Once I took this off, the Ferrari started right up and purred. I let it warm up and topped off the coolant when it cam out the bleed screw!
    I unhooked the coils and ran the car for 20 seconds just to get a bit off the old flowing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yep, I never use those. Had one break on me and no voltage.

14. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I just work on the car so much plus when I go on vacation I would unscrew it and hide it just another layer of security....

Rob

afterburner likes this.