Rob's Thursday morning Hunting & Fishing log | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Rob's Thursday morning Hunting & Fishing log

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rob lay, Apr 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #301 rob lay, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Report #: 101

Date & Time: December 9th, 2010 (6:57 AM to 5:35 PM)

What & Where: Deer Hunting - Fredonia, KS

Results: 0

Lies & Lessons Learned: Day #2 in Kansas was a little better. I saw 2 Deer instead of 1! :D The view was much better too, I could see farther out and made the 11 hours go quicker. The nubbin walked from behind only 20 feet to side of the ground blind, that's the closest I have been to a wild Deer. He never even blinked or knew I was there. Nothing all day and then 45 minutes before end of shooting this 7 point came in for about 20 minutes of eating (smooth brow tine). Tomorrow will be in yet another blind and then weather moving in Saturday hopefully helps things. 6 hunters x 2 days x 11 hours hunting = 132 hours and no Deer yet. :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #302 FarmerDave, Dec 9, 2010
    Keep at it Rob... if everybody got a deer everytime they got into the blind, it wouldn't be any fun... For what it's worth, there was very little activity this weekend at our place either. Some great pictures of awesome bucks on my game camera from two weeks ago... then nothing. Big Boys are definitely making themselves scarce lately, which is all part of the fun.

Looks like we hunt out of the same type of blind. A tip: only have a couple windows open at a time, facing the most likely place for a deer. It's not like a tower blind... on the ground, especially, if you have all four sides open, you kinda might as well just sit in a lawn chair without the blind.

If you don't get one in Kansas, my offer still stands to put you on a doe in Topsey. Will probably be there the weekend of the 17th-18th

The name of the game in deer hunting is really scouting your hunting grounds and knowing movement patterns... this only comes with time. I am no expert in this but I only have about 200 acres to cover, and have been going there for years, and with the camera I have out there, I at least have confidence that they are out there.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that deer is mooning you, Dave! :eek: :p

4. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Some nice ones out there Dave

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #305 FarmerDave, Dec 10, 2010
  6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #307 rob lay, Dec 10, 2010
    Report #: 102

Date & Time: December 10th, 2010 (6:57 AM to 5:35 PM)

Lies & Lessons Learned: Day #3 was alot more exciting. Saw no less than 20 different Deer. Mostly young bucks in the morning and then does in evening. Best buck was a half rack, had a nice 4 on one side and then a split spike on other. With full rack he might have gone 120, which still would have been smaller than we're going after. Had a doe literally walk by the ground blind looking in not flinching or noticing me at all, I had blinds behind me closed. So today was much more fun with Deer activity all day long, just no shooter bucks.

Beyond the Deer saw Geese, Turkey, and Coyote. I requested this same spot tomorrow, looks like the cold front is delayed a day, so not too bad until Sunday.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Found out this morning one of the guys in camp shot a beautiful 8 point yesterday morning, scored about 145. He was first guy to go into deep woods on traditional archery stand. You think after 200 hours of seat time from this camp that hunting open rifle areas wasn't working would have been figured out quicker.
    One more guy is trying that today, I'm same spot.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Report #: 103

Date & Time: December 11th, 2010 (6:58 AM to 5:35 PM)

Lies & Lessons Learned: Day #4 was tough, cold front moving in tonight caused high winds today which shut the Deer down. I was in exact same blind as yesterday where I saw 20 different Deer, many of them 3-4 times through the day. Today didn't see a single thing until 5:20 PM when the 6 point, a couple fawns, and a couple does came out.

Tomorrow 18 degrees and 20 mph winds, so wind chill close to 0. Tomorrow is last day for me and last day of Kansas rifle season. Will try some deep woods late morning and then afternoon everyone may get together for a Deer drive.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hmmph. Hick Deer!

Closest I've been was little more than an arm length in the City of Los Angeles, where there are Wild City Deer who don't blink even when they know you're there.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    where in LA?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    In the hoods, not the woods. sorry, I will go to bed now. :)

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #313 rob lay, Dec 12, 2010
    Report #: 104

Date & Time: December 12th, 2010 (6:58 AM to 5:35 PM)

Lies & Lessons Learned: Day #5 and a Kansas Deer will have to wait until next year for me. I had fun and learned a bunch about Deer hunting, hard not to spending 12 hours a day for 5 days.

I actually liked today's spot better than the others. Only saw a doe about noon and then a doe and fawn towards dark. It was way back in the deep woods though and they even gave me a GPS locator in case I got lost. Sitting towards top of ravine with a little creek.

Ready to get home.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #314 rob lay, Dec 14, 2010
    Report #: 105

Date & Time: December 14th, 2010 (6:50 to 9:00 AM)

What & Where: Duck Hunting - Pottsboro, TX

Results: Limit of 6 Ducks

Lies & Lessons Learned: After unsuccessful Deer hunting I had to get back to my roots of Duck hunting. Not a ton of birds down here now, but got on enough for a limit. A couple nice quality fat Mallard drakes too.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #315 rob lay, Dec 15, 2010
  16. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That's a Nice one!

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I would have been all over that one too, I would have freaked. They said that's as small as they come and usually you see several of those during the week and pass on them. You actually get fined $500 if you shoot something a little smaller than that. This was just tough year, I have reached out to about 8 Kansas outfitters to see how they did in the 12 day rifle season and most had a tough year. I will try it again next year.

18. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    This is the 1st time I've ventured into "Sports" section, but I must say, I've really enjoyed this thread! The pics are wonderful! (Sorry to hear about your dog.)

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Report #: 106

Date & Time: December 16th, 2010 (2:15 to 6:00 PM)/December 17th, 2010 (7:03 to 8:03 AM)

What & Where: Deer hunting - Deer Lease at Olney, TX

Lies & Lessons Learned: Hadn't been out to my Texas lease for awhile because of the Kansas trip. Didn't see any Deer on my lease, but the game cam pics are looking a little better. A shooter 8 point showing up almost daily, but 30 minutes after shooting time ends and then 30 minutes before shooting time starts. A few does and young bucks showing up during shooting hours. I will only be able to hunt 1 or 2 more times before end of rifle season, but I think it will continue to get better.

Driving out of the lease about a mile away looked up ahead to see a Deer with rack cross the road, happened too fast for accurate assessment, but it was a full branching rack.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #320 rob lay, Dec 29, 2010
    Report #: 107

Date & Time: December 28th, 2010 (3:06 to 6:06 PM)/December 29th, 2010 (7:08 to 8:38 AM)

What & Where: Deer hunting - Deer Lease at Olney, TX

Results: 1 Hog & 2 Ducks

Lies & Lessons Learned: This was my last Deer hunt at the lease for this season. Not much showing up on the game cams last couple weeks but young bucks and does. Last week hogs started showing up more consistently and actually in daylight. They haven't been there consistently or in daylight the 4 months I've had the lease. Sitting there last night and at 5:15 I look over shoulder and there are all of these black backs running through the thick grass. Couldn't see anything else, but there were 20+ and I immediately knew they were wild hogs. They were full trot towards my feeder and I let them settle in there a little. Most were young ones, but 4-5 larger pigs of same size, out of those I picked a unique black & white colored one. 105 yards ear shot flopped it in its tracks with the LaRue OBR 308. I remained in stand until after dark, then had to go get the truck to load it and field dress away from my stand. I spent the night in Olney and went back out this morning in thick fog and light rain, no Deer or Hogs, but I could hear the ducks talking and flying overhead. When done I snuck back to truck downwind of my only pond. Sure enough there were 3 Ringnecks on it. I quietly put my rifle up and got my shotgun out, snuck back downwind and up over the dam taking the 2 drakes with 3 shots.

My Deer lease has turned out to be great for ducks, turkey, hogs, and bass, but Deer didn't go my way, which was mostly my fault. I then got excited about Deer hunting in the land of monster trophy bucks, but Kansas turned out to be the land of does and spikes. I'm not giving up yet! Texas rifle season ends Sunday, but I have something special lined up for next week, can't get any worse. :)

For the last picture, caption should read in duck voice "hello in there Mr. Piggy, we can see you! you cold?". :D

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #321 rob lay, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    2010 Total Results

Fish caught, kept, cleaned, and eaten...

Crappie: 154
    Catfish: 11
    Rainbow Trout: 12
    Striper: 10
    White Bass: 1

3 Largest Bass Caught & Released...

1) 5 lbs 5 oz
    2) 4 lbs 5 oz
    3) 4 lbs 3 oz

Deer: 0
    Ducks: 19
    Dove: 7
    Hogs: 2

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #322 rob lay, Jan 3, 2011
    Report #: 108

Date & Time: January 3rd, 2011 (3:45 to 6:08 PM)

What & Where: Deer hunting - Jacksboro, TX

Lies & Lessons Learned: Well this is my last hail mary at Deer hunting this season. At a 15,000 acre low fence ranch by Jacksboro. Arrived after lunch today and did first hunt this evening. Really good looking place and had 3 does come in 20 minutes before end of shooting, no bucks showed up though. I'm only Deer hunter here this week, 6 father and sons from Michigan hunting Wild Hogs. Have my own little cabin with bathroom and food tonight was awesome.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #323 rob lay, Jan 4, 2011
    Report #: 109

Date & Time: January 4th, 2011 (7:06 to 9:00 AM, 3:45 to 6:08 PM)

Lies & Lessons Learned: Nothing seen today, but still working hard at them. Will actually go to same place tomorrow that we went tonight.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Report #: 110

Date & Time: January 5th, 2011 (7:06 to 9:00 AM, 3:45 to 6:08 PM)

Lies & Lessons Learned: Morning same old nothing. Didn't see a thing. Excitement picked up for evening as 5 does and yearlings worked their way in slowly, but no bucks followed.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #325 rob lay, Jan 6, 2011
    Report #: 111

Date & Time: January 6th, 2011 (7:06 to 8:00 AM)

Results: 1 Buck

Lies & Lessons Learned: Finally! This Deer season has been grueling, over 100 hours of seat time with no Deer. We tried a new spot this morning and even walking in there were Deer around. We couldn't see, but a Doe snorted for about 15 minutes warning the entire woods we were there. She finally left and as the light came in we soon spotted a few does and a half rack. It slowed down for just a minute when I noticed a Doe way off to my left opposite of where we had seen the other activity. I then quickly spotted a young 4 (no brow tines) in pic below follow her. It was quiet again nothing in sight for another 5 minutes when the half rack reappeared, soon after the 4 following, and then this mature 9 point.

The guide looked at me and said "mature Deer". Without saying it both of us knew it wasn't the 130+ caliber Deer we knew were possible in the area, but after 3 days of getting skunked, knowing the Deer was very mature, and also knowing it was still a nicer Deer than the one I took last year I decided to pull the trigger. Only a 60 yard shot quartering away heart/lung aim. It dropped without a step! Later cleaning it we didn't find an exit wound, but the bullet went right through middle of heart (I have pics for those that want to see). Deer has 9 scorable points and 18" inside spread. Right G2 is broke and most of the tines are short for this wide and age of Deer. This has been a trying season with so many lessons learned. This isn't a wall hanger Deer, but it is a nice small improvement and has me excited about next year.

What really made my day came unexpected though. The guide is about my age and has 3 kids, a very nice good guy. He didn't mention anything all week, but after I took this Deer he told me he could now surprise his daughter for a play at school tonight. He has been guiding on the ranch 5-6 days a week not able to return home. I am back home too about ready to pick up Mia from preschool and then getting Jennie for dinner out.

Only 2 weeks of ducks left! Then the Crappie and Largemouth fishing is on!!!