Rob's Thursday morning Hunting & Fishing log | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Rob's Thursday morning Hunting & Fishing log

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rob lay, Apr 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Makes perfect sense. And not to mention an Axis isn't a very big target to begin with.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, bigger than a Whitetail, but I will stick to story it was a small target. :D

3. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    I always thought they were smaller than whitetail (but with much larger antlers).

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    now that may be true, not sure weight wise, maybe about same to Texas Deer, smaller than Kansas and northern Deer. :) They do have longer beams 30-35", but overall I think only 110-130 inches.

5. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    #405 jmiff348, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    When I was a kid spending my summers in the Hill Country, they always looked like fawns with huge racks. Maybe it was the spots, and not their actual size, that stuck with me...

Of course, that was 30+ years ago, their genetics may have changed some since then... :)

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #406 rob lay, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    they all have spots like fawns. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Exactly. I was just saying that could be the reason why I had always thought they were small (spots = fawns = small deer). I was just a kid, you know. :)

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #408 rob lay, Jul 16, 2011
    Report #: 147

Date & Time: July 12-13th, 2011

What & Where: Blackbuck & Axis Hunt - Leakey, TX

Results: Axis Buck (32"+ right beam and 130"+ total)

Lies & Lessons Learned: Just got back from Leakey, Texas where I shot my first Axis buck. After 3 days in Brady last month with no success and this trip a day and half before I got the shot it has been tough hunting. Ranch is 5000 acres free range. He is a mature 5.5 year old over 200 pounds, thick neck, and good mass. Evidently a fighter too with several tines broken and some gouges in his side. He should be at least 10 inches over qualifying for the Record Book of Exotics.

We’ll see, but Axis have reputation of tasting much better than Whitetail. Fun hunt in the beautiful hill country of Texas. I also stuck a Blackbuck with arrow, but unfortunately after tracking blood for 800 yards, bringing bloodhound in, and spending day and half we didn't find it. Because no buzzards got on it we think it made it, must have been a non-lethal hit too far back.

As a bonus I caught my first Indigo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUp6S2_DGF0[/ame]

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice work Rob :)

and that's a big-ass snake. :eek:

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Leaky is awesome. Frio River for the win. Axis deer EVERYwhere!

Nice one Rob!

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'm not much of a deer hunter because I don't like the taste but that deer is nice! Are you going to save the rack? It would look pretty good mounted I think.

I really want to go pig hunting. There are a variety of places to go down here and you can use your choice of weapons. Some guys have .357's with scopes on them, others use AR's but most use 12 gauge shotguns with slugs. I don't remember if you've done that. If youhave experience I'd be interested in any advice you have on that subject.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I really like Venison and the Axis has reputation of being the best tasting Deer, even compared to Whitetail, Red, and Fallow.

yes, I am getting it mounted.

Pig hunting is great. You can hunt them any day of the year 24 hours a day with any weapon. They are a great challenge, often less predictable and more leery than Deer.

Here are some pig hunts I've had in last year. I also have 4-5 reports where I was pig hunting, but didn't get a shot or didn't see anything.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139814704&postcount=207

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140168760&postcount=320

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140581083&postcount=385

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Report #: 148

Date & Time: August 5th, 2011

What & Where: Blackbuck Hunt - Leakey, TX

Results: 0

Lies & Lessons Learned: I went back to Leakey trying to track down that Blackbuck I stuck. We never got a shot on him, but did see him at distance. Good news is he's recovered and will make it 100% again, just sorry I couldn't get him.

Trip was still fun seeing all the wildlife. We saw Whitetail Deer, Axis Deer, Blackbucks, Turkey, and Dove. Here is video of Whitetail Does & Fawns in a road, young 8-point Whitetail, and another Blackbuck.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cse-hDeqbM0[/ame]

14. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Hey Rob,
    What rifle and set-up did you use to take that buck??
    I need a dedicated hunting rifle and advice...

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Seems like the good all around Texas rifle is 30-06. Maybe slightly much for Whitetail, just about right for Axis, Muley, and Antelope being able to reach out there 300 yards if needed, then able to handle an Elk on high end. Great hog gun too although AR10 more specialized for hogs.

Invest more in the glass than the gun. I just have cheap Savage which is a very accurate cold shot gun. I think Tikka has one of best reputations for quality value right now. You know I'm a Browning person and love the X-bolt, but my Savage hasn't done me wrong yet.

16. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Being a Beretta guy, the Sako/Tikka T3 has my eye.

I have heard very good things about the Savage, too.

My dealer friend/enabler has suggested the Nightforce scopes and my Beretta gunsmith swears by Schmidt+Bender.

My dad has a few real nice Leupolds from the late '80s that would be over $2k now for the same quality, maybe I can wrestle one of those away...

As for the caliber, I think you are right that 30-06 is the way to go.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just got notified tonight the rancher found my Blackbuck. Because of the distance will just have it mounted down there and shipped up here or pick it up next year. No more hunts planned down there this year.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #418 rob lay, Aug 12, 2011
    Report #: 149

Date & Time: August 11th, 2011

What & Where: Bass Fishing - Lake Grapevine, TX (7:00 PM - 1:00 AM)

Results: 20-25 Bass for Boat

Lies & Lessons Learned: It is hot here and Bass are slow. We started at 7 PM and until 11 PM Gary caught 5 fish, 3-4 of them being pretty nice. I didn't catch a single one until after 11 PM, but both of us caught about 20 between then and 1 AM. My largest fish were a 2-03 and 2-13.

Here is pic of Gary's big fish, only 4 pounds something, but body was long 21"! Totally small body for how long and look how big its head is. Fish needs to eat!

19. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    [Like]

20. Gonzalo92

Gonzalo92 Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Houston
    I just got back from a 21 day hunting safari in Africa with my dad, anyone else been hunting in Africa?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    awesome, you should check out a new community I created for hunters and post the safari trip. one FChat user has already posted his plains game trip from Africa.

www.freerangehunter.com

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Fish--128700963.html

GRAPEVINE — Thousands of fish were found dead in Grapevine Lake on Tuesday. It's a major fish kill, with its victims lining the banks of the popular lake.

Fish kills are something we have been seeing in lakes across North Texas this year. Along with Lake Grapevine, similar problems have been reported at Lake Lavon, Lake Ray Hubbard and Lake Worth.

And Lake Texoma is now dealing with an algae bloom that's dangerous to both aquatic life and humans.

Texas Parks and Wildlife dispatched its "Kills and Spills" team to investigate the lifeless fish on the shore of Grapevine Lake, something boaters and fishermen haven't seen recently.

"Ten years I've been out here; I haven't seen anything like it and I don't understand it," said boat owner Robert Russell.
    "It's kind of sad and kind of shocking," said David Kanally, another boater. "Come out and see all these dead fish and you suspect there's gotta be something wrong."

The primary cause of a fish kill is low oxygen levels in the water.
    "I don't know if its the heat, oxygen, lack of oxygen has just stressed them," said fisherman Bobby Soohoo. Heat can stress fish, but low levels of oxygen cause fish to swim near the surface to gulp air.

State wildlife experts believe this fish kill may be the result of Monday's rainfall. Rain can stir up a lake, displacing the oxygen-rich water where fish live and starving them out.
    Large fish generally die first, followed by smaller ones.

"You wonder if it's safe to be out here in the water and swimming and lot of boating activity in the water," said boater Robert Russell.

Unlike Lake Texoma, which is closed to recreation because of algae bloom, Grapevine and Lavon both remain open.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #423 rob lay, Sep 16, 2011
    Report #: 150

Date & Time: September 15-16th, 2011

What & Where: Dove Hunting - Crowell, TX

Results: 22 Dove (day and half)

Lies & Lessons Learned: Landman and I went out to Crowell for 2 days of Dove hunting. Flew into old old airport that is pretty much abandoned. Guide was awesome, hunting was pretty good, and had a great time. I grew up hunting Dove in Kansas where it is unusual if you don't get a limit. Well, Texas Dove hunting has been frustrating for me, a bunch of hard work to take 3-6 birds. This is the first time I have ever shot a limit of Doves in Texas! Several good memories of trip, best may be getting my dad's 35 year old A5 out after 10 years and shooting Dove with it. Maybe it should be my usual gun, never jams unlike the modern Brownings! :) Made up my bacong wrapped jalapeno cheese dove and guide made up a great steak.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #424 rob lay, Oct 4, 2011
    Report #: 151

Date & Time: September 19-23rd, 2011

What & Where: Deer Hunting - Pittsburg, KS

Lies & Lessons Learned: Haven't had time to write-up my Kansas trip yet. I did post all the details at www.freerangehunter.com.

http://www.freerangehunter.com/forum/free-range-hunting/69-kansas-muzzleloader-2011-a.html

Last year I hunted Kansas rifle in December, after being unsuccessful outfitter recommended I come back for muzzleloader as bucks usually out in open more. There were tons of deer all week, just not huge shooter bucks. I did see much more deer and much larger bucks than December, but still not a shooter. Out of 3 guys in camp only one person tagged out. He got lucky watching where a buck bedded down at first light and keeping eye on him he nailed him 2 hours later when the buck stood up to stretch. A 260 yard muzzleloader shot! The really big bucks just weren't moving with any light.

Below are pics of some views I had, the high 140's large buck other guy took in camp, and then short video of some deer I saw.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D9aWd5lJxY[/ame]

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #425 rob lay, Oct 4, 2011
    Report #: 152

Date & Time: October 1-2nd, 2011

What & Where: Deer Hunting - Orr, OK

Lies & Lessons Learned: Opening of bow season in Oklahoma on my new lease. I only got the lease 6 weeks ago and being out of town was a little behind getting it setup. I only had 1 ladder stand ready, so had to hunt that Saturday morning. Had a mature doe walking in and the dang feeder went off spooking the deer, 3 minutes before or after would have been fine. During day I got a 2nd ladder stand installed, still hunted the 1st one Saturday evening because I made so much noise. Only a young 4 point came in, but it was cool as right below me for 20 minutes. Sunday morning hunted the new ladder stand, no deer, I did have a group of wild hogs working in from 70 yards, but they went straight downwind and busted me.

Optimistic as I checked another location I have and first time I've setup a game cam. In just a day of pictures with me less than mile away hunting the other stands a couple nice bucks were showing up, one of them appears mature enough to shoot (one to right). I'm headed back tomorrow and Thursday.