Rock music dying? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rock music dying?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F1tommy, Dec 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Just before and during the war, the big bands were the epitome of this nation's soul. Excellent writers, outstanding composers , highly talented musicians, and beautiful "songbirds". Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, Charley Barnett, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Hellen O'Connell (Green Eyes), Martha Tilton, Spike Jones....I haven't recalled all of them, but They carried us through the war.

Texas Forever and F1tommy like this.
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    How could I forget Artie Shaw and Harry James and Gene Krupa. These musicians could play their instruments with dedicated skill and the vocalists could actually sing the music without screaming or growling to show their "creative skills". I can always bring up memories of the Andrew Sisters, I saw them several times. And then there was Woody Herman. I saw and listened to some great stuff in some tough times and today there are some really great bands and performers. Right now I keep going back to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of the Moon" (that I think is a timeless classic), and Dire Straights stuff .

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

I want to go see this. It is local to me. https://www.pinkfloydexhibition.com/

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was thinking about " Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and still can't believe the sax solo at the end by a girl. Absolutely inspired. I haven't been able to find out who she is but she did an uncanny job.

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I think part of what is contributing to the demise is the fact that rock has lost a lot of it's core goodness via modern production. Time correcting, pitch correcting, sampling instead of spending time getting a good sound through a great mic/pre/EQ (or even just "in the box")...all of these things strip the swagger and danger that made rock raucous, dangerous, and charming - it's most calculating practitioners included. You simply cannot take the humanity out of a genre built on piss and vinegar and expect it to really resonate. I have not heard a song on modern rock radio that was not sampled, compressed, and corrected into a sterile mass of trite noise in probably twenty years.

The other issue with this is that it makes it far too easy for record companies to pull less than talented groups with mediocre songs into the studio to produce quick hits that stand a chance in the charts for a minute but that lack the qualities that produce lasting statements. People do in fact respond to well-crafted and thoughtful statements, but it has to grow on and with them. Right now the broad audience is more distracted by the superficial gloss than ever before, and that's saying something.

It's also difficult for good stuff to cut through anymore. Seriously anyone can make a record that sounds at least halfway decent and it's easy to get lost in the shuffle without serious dough (which isn't there because practically no one makes money off of songs anymore) behind your effort.

Porcupine Tree are a great band. There are others. Truly, having always been primarily focused on prog, fusion, and jazz...I'm not too upset to see some of the dreck dying out...but there are still some great straight ahead rock groups in the vein of Brother Cain, Cry Of Love, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots (whose music is far more thoughtful compositionally speaking than many realize) who record honestly, put on great shows, have no pretense, and deserve to be heard.

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    First 45 I ever bought. I think it was around 1976? I still have it.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That good time Rock 'N' Roll will never die. TURN IT UP.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    To me there is nothing like Aerosmith's music from the 70's, loved it when it first came out when I was a kid and still listen to it today.

JCR and F1tommy like this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Ok here is one from a group that is considered hard rock, not for the meek of heart. This I think is their best song, but it was not even written by them and has some amazing guitar playing almost at the end. Menard is a weirdo no doubt but he hooks up with some really talented musicians His best effort was the group A Perfect Circle, my favorite prog group. This is you lied, written by the British group Peach and performed by Tool. This is a live show recording, at wich Menard wore a dress to the concert. Again not for everyone......

Tool - You Lied [HD] - YouTube

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sitting 4th row center at the Greek in Sept! Beyond stoked!

F1tommy likes this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes it's amazing their back!! I plan on going to the Chicago show in September. Only one song released from the new album, the rest in June.

darth550 likes this.
  17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    He still hasn't announced his guitar player.

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #43 F1tommy, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I always liked Edison's Medicine (man out of time) too.

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I can see why hair bands appealed to men and women. Listen to this Tesla song and you will understand. Easy but still pretty hard rock. That was the late 1980's and 1990's rock.

Changes - YouTube

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. I remember an interview with Springsteen where he talked about how he kept retaking Born to Run until he thought it was the greatest rock tune ever recorded. - swagger in the extreme. This was in 1975 or thereabouts, and you can tell when you listen to the entire album that he left everything in that studio. It all sounds authentic, even autobiographical. I don't know that we have another Bruce.

Texas Forever and Chupacabra like this.
  23. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I think "authentic" is the key word. So true...and of course the more formulaic and derivative endeavors existed, but I think they tended to die out a bit faster due to a more discriminating, sophisticated audience. What was available on FM radio was so much more varied back then. Sorry I missed it! :)

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  25. mx1

mx1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2022
    CT