Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 106 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

De Cesaris had a long F1 career, driving for many teams, with an incredible number of crashes.

Let's hope Stroll don't emulate that !!!

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Andrea had 5 podium finishes, 2 of them for 2nd place. He was leading Monaco until running out of fuel and finished 3rd. I believe that his career was promoted by a close relative with ties to Phillip Morris. IIRC Gerard Ducarouge held him in high regard.

Bas likes this.
  3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, Andrea de Cesaris had his good sides, certainly, but on the whole he was a very erratic driver, to put it mildly.
    Guy Ligier sacked him after several high speed shunts destroying the cars completely: "I cannot afford to employ this man anymore" he said.
    De Cesaris was the first driver Eddie Jordan selected when he started in F1, and he didn't do too bad.
    I don't think Stroll will be as bad, and as good, but probably he won't last so long either..

LVP488 and 375+ like this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Rumors were that Andrea's eyes occasionally rolled away to the back of head and he lost vision for a moment.

Si non e vero, e bon trovato. :0

5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    AFAIK his father was the owner of the Marlboro distributor in Italy.

william and 375+ like this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fast but crashprone.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It seemed to me, at the time, that most of his crashes looked alike.
    De Cesaris would carry too much speed in a corner, then run out of track at the exit, put one or two wheels on the grass and then lose control completely.
    His car would start spinning, hit the scenery (wall, or guardral) before bouncing on the other side of the track.
    Most of his crashes carried the same initial mistake, and I would be surprised if he never received advice to improve his racecraft.
    Murray Walker (!!) commented on that similarity, and also Eddie Jordan once.

Probably that with today's tracks and their largely tarmaced run-off areas, De Cesaris would get away with his mistakes, and just receive a slap on the wrist from the stewarts maybe.
    Times have changed.

Bas and Nuvolari like this.
  8. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    His nickname was Decrasheris , thoroughly deserved in my opinion . He was a better racer than Stroll

Bas and william like this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..that much is clear..even with his eyes closed!!!

10. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    So I guess the team boss is paid to say this.. from gandprix.com:

Lance Stroll 'damn fast' - Szafnauer
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Lance Stroll, Azerbaijan GP 2018
    © RV Press
    Lance Stroll, an often maligned Formula 1 driver, is actually "damn fast".

That is the view of his boss at Racing Point, the former Force India team that is now owned by Stroll's billionaire father Lawrence Stroll.

Since leaving Williams, 20-year-old Stroll has scored just four of the team's points in 2019, compared to teammate Sergio Perez's 13.

But boss Otmar Szafnauer said: "In terms of race speed, they are very close together.

"It's only about qualifying. And that's a matter of him getting used to the team and experience.

"Checo has been with us forever," he added. "And he is 10 years older than Lance. But I think Lance will quickly get on the same level.

"He is a smart guy. And he is damn fast," Szafnauer insisted.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    What people will say - and do - for money...

Bas likes this.
  12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Damn fast, maybe. F'n fast? no.

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    But what Szafnauer really meant was..."His damn slow!"

stavura and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If Stroll is ''F'in fast'' what does that make Checo? Amazed he hasn't won a championship yet because f'in fast surely means not many are much faster than you....and given the gap between their drivers checo must be on a different level than anyone entirely.

Only logic.

DF1 likes this.
  15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    They have all the data ...so lets see if Lance can improve his starting position going forward.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #2641 william, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Let's say Lance Stroll wasn't a billionaire's son driving for his father, nobody would comment on him.
    After all, who paid any attention to Chilton, Ericson, Chandhok or Wehrlein when they were in F1?

Nuvolari, DF1 and 375+ like this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Plenty...Look through any race thread over the years when they participated. Comments are not flattering.

The reason Stroll has a thread is his arrogance, whatever team he drives for talking him up (and subsequently talking him down the moment he leaves) and so on...and how many times have heard other drivers clattering into a wall, wheel visibly ****ed, and then the driver coming on the radio asking if something is wrong with his car. One in a million:D

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Father or son ?

Isobel and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    If I want to know how well I’d be doing if I was racing in F1, Lance is my only connection. Every other driver on the grid got there by having actual talent, Lance doesn’t have any. He’s my perfect drone. ;).

DF1, LVP488, stavura and 2 others like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'm currently racing with pretty poor results (not in F1 obviously) - what amazed me is how hard other people are trying ( well, at least they're in front of me ;) ) while my goal was to only to do it for fun.
    I wonder how much Stroll is really trying - I would actually more like it if he would say that he does not care and just enjoys it because he's rich enough, that would have some panache.

stavura, bmwracer, DF1 and 3 others like this.
  22. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Lance is not a real racer, he is there because he can or maybe because he has to be . His comments have been abysmal at times i remember a specific comment where he is asking his team why they are racing , pathetic . A real racer would take the seat time and try and learn more about what it takes to be a race car driver and a winner . It is likes he wants an arrive and drive car ,and that will not get you anywhere

Bas and william like this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I had the same reaction in my youth years ago when I tried rallying.
    I didn't like it one bit: even at amateur level everybody was so serious about results.
    I only wanted to soak up the atmosphere, have a good time and enjoy myself.
    Years later, I enjoyed track days because there was no pressure.

24. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    What always spoils the fun is when people get caught up in their own self importance . Racing as a hobby is fun , professionally , it is work so a lot of the fun goes out of the window . I have done both , i race in vintage now and i cant' say i enjoy it any less

william likes this.
  25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    If he wasn't a billionarire's son he wouldn't be in f.1 for starters...so nobody would comment on him anyway!

LVP488 likes this.