Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 131 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But that's not a bad tactic to adopt if you accept that you have speed but limited racecraft.
    Ken Tyrrell used to say to his young drivers "Do your laps as fast as you can without getting into trouble with others".

tifosi12 likes this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is about half a grid of drivers who do just that. I don't get the hate people have for Stroll.

Lance is a Patrese or an Irvine by another name. Oh wait, I like those guys. :)

william likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Irvine was entertaining in and out of the car.

Of course you don't get the hate for Stroll, you always like the person that's not well liked here...right until that person is!

Stroll's driving is boring, he seems confused when his car is obviously (and I mean visibly, even from his own perspective and of course after he clatters into something) damaged....outside of the car he has the personality of a gold fish.

I again present Lando Norris, he comes from a very wealthy family (ok not as wealthy as Stroll, but at £250 million still extremely comfortable), has a great personality, is a great driver...yet he is loved by most anyone.

Stroll isn't "hated" because his dad is loaded. He's "hated" because the way he came into F1, mediocre performances, zero personality, and the list goes on.

Flavio_C likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    :D:D

Bas likes this.
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Interviewer: "So Lance, now that you have a fast car, but are obviously lacking in racecraft, do you feel that you might someday get a win by just being safe out there"
    Lance: "uh"

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Points is all his team expect. Podium or win......simply bonus. No one watching this sport with any serious angle see's exceptional ability. His move on Ricci in race 2 at Austria was a penalty that didnt happen. FIA knows it and it was not taken seriously as a 'move' by Ricci. Ricci made fun of it almost.

Lance can drive - his racing skills are not as good as others and without his funding he doesnt enter the F1 arena. With the new clone he might make more of an impact but his skill will rise slowly if at all. His baseline skill is below others. Certainly more to follow and he may yet surprise all of us.

7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Did Patrese's or Irvine's father bought F4 teams, F3 teams, and then F1 teams to force their children into F1? I don't think so....

furoni, Bas and 375+ like this.
  8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    And Lando won on previous categories on merit alone, not because his father bought the best team on the grid.

furoni and Bas like this.
  9. DF1

Skill matters........... :)

375+ likes this.
  10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Outside the car Michael Schumacher had "the personality of a gold fish," as does Max Verstappen.

tifosi12 and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I can't see that as a bad thing to have a different view than the majority of people.

tifosi12 and Isobel like this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003

I think it is closer to a "Blue Molly" than it is to a "Gold Fish".

13. DF1

I developed my own view based on what he does on the track - Stroll. I continue to explain how I feel based on what I see on the track/radio etc. Others fully support him. Fine. I support good racing with skill and capability. Others simply have more than he does and are there based on that. His advantage is just his family. Without his own family owned team he probably never see's the grid, or has a paid seat at Williams.

On skill alone who would hire Stroll? Ive asked that many times. ZERO. He doesnt rate a seat compared to many others or his he notable at all for his skill. Others have wealth in their family. They have also have more apparent skill. A defining quality. The video posted here about Lance and his racing history said it best. He has 'glimpses' of talent. Not robust in total. He will remain on the grid as long as his father controls the entire team he races for. So be it. My opinion of him will remain until he shows more than a 'glimpse'.

furoni, stavura, Bas and 2 others like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol, really? On Both?

Max is VERY outspoken, and doesn't hold back (in or out the car). Whether you like that or not is another thing, but to say he doesn't have a personality is beyond me. Did you watch any F1 when Schumacher was racing 1991-2006? No personality? Come on!

jpalmito, stavura and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Of course not, just an observation. I just find it odd to say the least to go from supporting driver X because he's not liked, to then not support him, because Driver X suddenly is liked.

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Me too, but I tend to think of him more as a Rothengatter, Diniz, Belmondo or Rebaque with better machinery and sponsorship...
    ;).

furoni and 375+ like this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The only question now is when ,not if, Lance appears on the podium again.Silverstone?

tifosi12 likes this.
  18. DF1

The weather in UK could factor in the race. Sunny day I can see a Clone on podium or Red Bull or Ferrari possibly. The race seems to be less than optimal for the Clone.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh my, you beat me with Rothengatter. Dunno who that is.

The rest I'm familiar with. Including Belmondo whom I considered a total waste of time and a seat. Hector I even saw in my first live GP.

How about Slim Borgudd?

Isobel likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I remember him doing truck racing, and he wasn't bad then.

Former ABBA drummer, right ? Only drove private cars.

Isobel and DF1 like this.
  21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Former ABBA drummer AND drove for ATS in F1. Thanks to ABBA money. I watched him in Hockenheim. ABBA logo was on the car.

<cue in "Money, money, money" by ABBA>

Isobel and william like this.
  22. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Did any of the above win F3 or F4 championship, score an F1 podium, qualify 3rd and start on the front row of an F1 race as the youngest driver ever?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tifosi12 and Nuvolari like this.
  23. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Was always fascinated with those who’d pay to hang precariously on the bottom rung of the gangway just to be on the ship. ;)

DeCesaris had financial help wherever he went, so technically he was a pay driver too, albeit a ‘bloody quick’ one, according to our late friend, Fast Ian, who worked with him.

Since this thread has a Canadian theme ;), might as well mention Allen Berg and his one year tenure at Osella.

Not sure if he had backing or not, but Al certainly delivered on displaying Osella’s sponsor’s names.

He managed to complete most races (a rarity throughout Osella/Fondmetal’s history) and often had the attention of spectators all to himself as he frequently lost the pack after the first lap. ;) ;).

william and tifosi12 like this.
  24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Nope. Must be pure talent then, ayyy ;)

furoni, stavura and 375+ like this.
  25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I love your post if for no other reason that mentioning Fast Ian. He is missed.

375+ and Isobel like this.