Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Absolutely. Using the $140 million figure, the cost per WDC point scored so far is $70 million and those numbers should only get better. Incredible ROI.

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I think Papa Stroll has answered that question. He spends in droves no matter what any of us say.

The bottom line is he keeps his kid off the streets and his "sponsorship" of his son employs a lot of people.

I started this thread so we could have some fun at the expense of the rich kid. However, I sincerely hope the thread stays good-natured and the kid doesn't get hurt.

3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I'm thinking Lance will clean the house in lawn bowling if he moves to the sport now while he still has the possibility of receiving 40 years of coaching.

We remain kings of self deprecation. ;)

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Wow! 7th today for Lance in Baku. Ahead of Massa. Good job, kid.

5. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    The problem is, when everyone knows your daddy paid your way into most things, you have more to prove than those who earned it through winning races and gaining sponsors. That's just reality. Stroll has a long way to go before I think the investment was worthwhile. His dad can certainly spend his money any way he wants, but if he's got a place in his mansion already reserved for a WDC trophy, then I think he's dreaming.

6. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    i'm Canadian so you would think from the get go I would have Stroll's back but in all honesty I didn't.........I with held my opinion till I saw what he could bring.

I'm disguised with the amount of media hate he is receiving and think what I was like when I was 18 years old. I was in Shifter Karting but no where near the level of F1. I can only imagine if my dad thrust me into F1 using his money at that age what I would have been like.

Stroll is in F1 4 years(or 5-6) too early. His dad wants him to be a Verstappen but he isn't near Mad Max level. I have witness this many times growing up in Canada with Hockey. Many parents have ruined a child/teen pushing them too hard too soon at too high of a level.

I wish Stroll all the best but he should be doing what Mick Schumacher is doing and not rushing to F1 and instead perfecting his craft in the lower ranks. Once you hit F1, sink or swim, there is nowhere but down after that......

7. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree with most of this, best of luck Stroll!!

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Lance had just one fast lap at the end of Q3 Baku, P9 ahead of Massa.He is moving in the right direction now,after a difficult start in this rookie year.

Just has to keep it together in the race tomorrow.

9. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good job today, to be 18 years old and in P9 in a F1 race :)

Perhaps one day you will achieve your real dream and sit at home on the couch on the internet criticizing people. You know people that have achieved more in 18 years then they would have in 10 lifetimes.

Good luck tomorrow and be safe, that circuit looks tricky.

10. To all the naysayers...What racing have you done?

I don't give a sheet whether he makes it or not.

But you've all had your opinions and lookee here....he out qualified Massa.

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lance did a fine job today on a real driver's circuit. I hope that he maintains his form for the race tomorrow.

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Bought and paid for results - How many F1 nurses does it take? LOL

Lance Stroll's Baku showing helped by 2014 Williams F1 car test - F1 - Autosport

Paddy Lowe has revealed a test in a 2014 Williams between the Canadian and Azerbaijan Grands Prix helped Lance Stroll score the best qualifying result of his Formula 1 career.

Stroll qualified eighth for Sunday's Baku F1 race, out-qualifying Williams team-mate Felipe Massa for the first time and making Q3 for only the second time in eight attempts.

Massa said Stroll's maiden points finish had calmed him down and "some changes to the car, similar to the one [set-up] I use" had made his team-mate more competitive on his first visit to Baku.

Lowe explained that an exclusive day of testing in the FW36 at Austin on June 14 allowed Stroll to examine the differences between his and Massa's set-ups and find a better direction.

"He went to Austin last week driving the 2014 car," Lowe said. "They did a few experiments with set-up, looking at some of the differences between his set-up and Felipe's set-up, and some of that's been brought forward here and I think it's put him in a much better place.

Lowe explained these experiments were focused on "generic things that are common to most racing cars", which meant they could translate easily to the 2017 Williams.

Stroll engaged in a dedicated 2014 Williams test programme during his European Formula 3 championship campaign last season in order to prepare for F1 this year, and Lowe said Stroll's familiarity with the car combined with the extra track time helped accelerate his learning process between races.

"It's just tracktime," Lowe added. "They had a whole day to do some straightforward experiments with stable tyres, good sets of tyres, run a programme. And they're fairly generic set-up directions that apply equally on a 2014 car as on a 2017 car.

"The trouble on a Friday [at a grand prix] is you've got limited time, limited numbers of tyres, they're often not the same type of tyre, then the track's moving quite quickly as well. It's a great advantage to be able to go and spend a whole day on something."

STROLL: SET-UP HAD "DRIFTED AWAY"

Stroll struggled badly in qualifying in recent races, dropping out in Q1 in Spain, Monaco and Canada in a car that usually contends for Q3.

He reckoned taking a set-up direction "similar to the beginning of the year", combined with better communication with his engineers and understanding of the Pirelli tyres, came together to boost his form in Azerbaijan.

"I'm starting to figure it out with the car, taking directions similar to the beginning of the year," Stroll said. "We drifted away from that direction, we came back, and I feel a lot more confident with that balance and set-up.

"The set-up gives you confidence and then you can drive the car the way you want.

"I think it's a combination of everyone working together, the engineers giving me different information, better information, and just gaining experience with the tyres."

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The kid surprised me!!!

14. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Impressed. Also watched Montreal live where he did an outstanding job for a rookie during the race. If he finishes top 5 tomorrow, we should all be in awe.

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In what way is that relevant? It's the same as saying guys who put on chrome 22'' wheels on their Ferrari, paint the car lime gree with full red interior and get upset when you say it doesn't look very appealing and retort ''what Ferrari do you own!?'' It's irrelevant, I can still have an opinion on the matter.

If we could only judge other drivers here after being F1 (or Ex F1 drivers) drivers ourselves only, this place would be DEAD.
    Isn't he that retired bloke with injuries?

Granted, he did a good job today. Lets see if he can actually continue this as at the very least he should be matching Massa.

Already debated here but only reason he was in the points was because of retirement of faster cars in front. Not exactly anything to write home about.

16. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    There you go again, Bas, bringing logic into F1 discussions...:)

17. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Whatever... Bas against stroll is little different to Toil for Hamilton. Reason is thrown out of the window and whatever comes in useful to suit their agenda is made use of.

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Except that Bas is an educated person with a background IN racing, something most here don't have. Toil was a troll and has probably never seen a track or even owned a car that did beyond 80 mph. You might not see a difference, but I see night and day.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well done Stroll!

Pete

20. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #821 ASK328, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Basically sums up internet trolls, and how I picture most people bashing people online.

All the "stroll is terrible" stuff reminds me of this guy.

You guys are all bashing a kid, yes a kid .......simply due to his dad being ridiculously successful and getting him into F1.

Who cares / F1 has always been a rich man's game, u want to bash rich guys get on a sailing forum! - jealousy towards a kid is lame.

Good luck Stroll.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Ah, the jealousy card. Because no one on this forum has money.

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :) thank you
    So I should be fake positive? He's had an awful season so far, and lucked into points (yes yes, first you have to finish and all that...but you can't deny that Massa being torpedoed and Verstappens car dying out of nowhere has anything to do with either of them?).

And if you read my post, I simply said he did well today, and that he should be performing like this. But facts are also, Massa is aging, already retired, and he's never been that quick since his 2009 accident.

:) Though I'm not an active (car) racer, I have been around racing my entire life so even at risk of blowing my own trumpet, I think I can make pretty reasonably educated calls on certain things.
    Again with this. A lot of F1 guys come from money. Ricciardo's dad isn't exactly poor. Verstappen's dad whilst not a billionaire, he's comfortable. There's plenty of guys in F1 with rich dads. No one cares how rich or poor their parents are.

Bashing a kid? Are you for real? Some words said by a man on the internet, boo ****ing hoo. He's entered the big league, he should be able to deal with some bad press. If he can't he's not ripe for F1, simple as that.

Perez is another pay driver, he's backed by Carlos Slim, I think at the moment the richest man on the planet (usually he's in the top 5, anyways!). No one hates him, because he is in fact in F1 on merit.

Maldonado was a high profile pay driver, no one hated him for it because when he wasn't busy crashing, he was pretty quick. He never got his head sorted out and did become a laughing stock...BUT, he was damn quick, as long as he stayed out of the barriers! And for me, and many others, Stroll hasn't shown anyone he's actually quick. THAT is the issue!

Stroll came into F1 and many felt he was not qualified enough, even though he's done far more races than the other youngster Verstappen, and actually won the F3 title in his second year (Verstappen just missed out in the first year to Ocon, but largely due to engine failures and the penalties that come with them). Verstappen and Stroll are directly compared because of their age. When Verstappen got into the car for the first time aged 17 (it was a birthday present to him from Red Bull more or less), he immediately showed skill and able to keep up with seasoned guys. When he started racing F1 he started impressing immediately...I remind you again, after having done FAR less races than Stroll did when he started in F1. Those following Verstappen during his F3 days saw the talent, especially in wet races where he was sensational. Stroll on the other hand, his first season in F3 was a myriad of crashes.

Right, we shouldn't compare Stroll to Verstappen, but it's reasonably to expect a guy that's in F1 to get up to speed quickly and be up there with his teammate. Everyone can have his good or bad days, and up until today it's only been bad days. Today was the first time he's actually kept up with his teammate, and more than that, even beat him! Well done to him but I'm not sitting here cheering him on, it's the first time this has happened that he's even been in the same time zone as Massa. Up until now Stroll has shown to be consistently slow.

If he wished to have avoided that, he should've have gone to F1 so quickly.

Exactly! We're on a Ferrari forum, really the wrong place to start moaning about people with too much money! :D

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ditto