Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 79 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    $80M ? Is it what Papa Stroll pays Williams every year ? That's sounds incredible.

It sounds like a huge waste of money to me, whatever Stroll Sr's worth is.

2. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I think the $ 80 million Stroll's dad was investment in the team around the same time they went public.

3. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I'll do you one better. As I find this going back and forth with you to be rather tiresome, I'll just utilize the "ignore" feature on here, which I should have done a while ago.

No hard feelings, and I wish you the best.

4. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Sports trash talk is sports trash talk. The rules here are to discuss F1 and not get personal with each other. Otherwise, state your opinions. Where's the problem?

BMWairhead and william like this.
  5. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Errr... Sorry guys but you are both ignoring facts.

Senna was from a wealthy family? Yes, but he was the most disciplined, applied, persevering, etc., driver since he started in karting. He always put the maximum effort and showed his talent since day one in any category that he took part. Being wealthy didn't make him believe he could just show up, sit, and drive. Senna earned respect way way before arriving in F1...

As I wrote some pages ago, I could witnessed first hand both Stroll and Verstappen in the same racing team during their karting years. The attitude and talent were in complete different planets. Max is not a poor kid either but he had no interest other than win races and would do everything in his hands to improve, learn more, and help the team. Stroll on the other hand acted like a spoiled kid, simple as that. And he simply could not follow Verstappen's technical elonquency when talking to the team manager after each session and race, much like his lack of quality feedback to the Williams today.

People are talking about "how wealthy Stroll is" simply because there is nothing else to talk about him: he hasn't shown a simple hint of talent up to now. Have you guys heard anyone saying how wealthy Rosberg, Massa, Leclerc, Gasly, Sainz,etc., were/are?

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think I can make a difference between people who received a helping hand on the first steps in motor racing, and those who reach F1 just because they are able to buy their seat through family or sponsors .

Nothing is fair in motor racing, and it's a shame that drivers like Stroll can be in F1 when Vergne, Glock, Kovaleinen, or Wehrlein couldn't keep their seat

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Stroll is the king at sucking...he's whiping thye floor with hamilton at it!!!

subirg and Bas like this.
  8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    You're quite right.

Whilst it is also right to say Stroll isn't the first guy to have his F1 seat paid for I cannot recall anyone before him having it paid for so extravagantly with private test sessions and so on. I also get the impression that everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault and when anything goes right it is down to him. That all helps to add up to more people wanting him to fail.

VPX likes this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Forget his wealth. He’s been a drag on Williams since day one!

“Old man” Massa drove rings around him.

rdefabri and VPX like this.
  10. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I'm baffled to see people coming to Stroll's defense here. In Practice, was it 2?, they asked what are the areas you are struggling and his reply was, "I don't know." ARE YOU KIDDING??!! Even the commentators were at a loss for words. That's what people are running to defend? We all know he absolutely sucks. To make it humorous people talk about money, etc, etc but I cannot for the life of me see what anyone would say is a positive other than funding.

And is his post qualy interview they asked about the performance and he says that they were 8/10's(maybe 6/10s I forget) off so it didn't really matter did it. Shocking.

TheMayor and Bas like this.
  11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #1961 kizdan, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    No one can deny his results haven't been there so far this year, however I think it is too early to declare that he sucks. I am not saying he is better than he is - results do speak for themselves. He had some decent results last year. Anyone thinking that he should have somehow been able to wipe the floor over Massa, a vastly more experienced driver, both with the Williams team and F1 in general, are placing unreal expectations on him. Besides, he was only 3 points behind Massa by the end of the 2017 season (43 - 40). I don't think that is too bad at all.

He is ahead of his teammate in the WDC standings so far this year - we'll see how it shakes out.

You call it defending? I call it not jumping to conclusions. There's a big difference.

Nuvolari and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  12. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    #1962 trumpet77, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Stroll is driving probably the worst car of the year, Williams gave him the seat, so good luck to him. I don't think he's a great driver, so who knows. If Williams lets him go, some other team would probably like his money.

13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    sorry, I honestly don't understand your question "why".

I was trying to not be too serious about the back and forth negative posting about whether or not Stroll is a good driver. We all have our opinions, and my post was an attempt to say that posts like Hamilton Sucks, Stroll Sucks, Massa Sucks, etc, are all just in fun for everyone to express their own opinions. Certainly not everyone always agrees with everyone else, and thats OK, but the negativity and towards other people posting on the forum gets old. If that's not what you're asking "why" about then I don't know.

BMWairhead likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Why? :)

trumpet77 likes this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I love the argument that Stroll was only 3 points down on Massa....so what? he could even had more points than Felipe, truth is he was absurdly slow compared to him!!
    Massa was on average 0.702 sec faster than Stroll per qualifying...the only biggest diference that year was between Hulkenberg and Palmer, 0,703 sec!
    and this does not show the whole picture, in Australia the diference was around 2,5 sec!!, barain was 1.1 sec, spain was 1.2 sec, canadá was 1.5 sec, Spa was 1.1 sec, japan was 2.0 sec, USA was 1.7 sec, México was 1.05 sec, Brazil it was 1s!!! This is huge, a scandal, in any other team he would have been sacked imediatly!!!

Flavio_C, Etcetera and Bas like this.
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Not the first time this happened (in fact it happens in nearly all sessions). He is very far out of his depth. F3 was easy. Same chassis for everyone, 4-5 team mates driving identical cars....they run the same chassis/aero/tyres for years so gather loads of data. The car is already setup 99% before they even arrive at the track.

In F1 he doesn't even understand that after hitting the barriers, the front tyre visibly ****ed (even if you sit low down in cockpit you still see the top of the tyre, it's deformation and lack of rotation quite obviously)....his comment? "I think something is wrong with the car!" No **** genius, that's typically what happens when you **** your F1 car in a barrier! Maybe on the playstation you can hit the wall harder...

His other typical feedback is hilarious as well ''this car is just bad everywhere''. Not a hint of suggestion where a big improvement could be made. Listen to a Vettel, Kimi, Max/Ric Hulk or Sainz...they give accurate enough suggestions over the radio so that an improvement could be made.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Massa would've had nearly double the points if his car didn't break down in Baku.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't know if people come in defense of Stroll, or just manifest their distaste at the constant bashing, which becomes tiresome.

OK, the guy is bad, and got there thanks to father's wealth. We know he doesn't have a clue, and doesn't belong there, etc... .

But do we need to repeat that all the time? Claire Williams isn't listening to the detractors, and her team needs the money.

So, it's a sad situation, but personally I don't see the point of "flogging a dead horse", unless some people feel better for it.

P-Singhof call is "schadenfreude", so it must be that.

BMWairhead likes this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLOLO, you're right William, but the soul purpose of this "sucking threads" is to "flog a dead horse"....unofrtunatly for him, Stroll is still moving, so i guess we can still give him some more lashes!!

Ps: nobody talks about Palmer anymore...it will be the same when the Stroller leaves, untill then, his just a target...and he keeps on givin us plenty of amo!

subirg and DF1 like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Seriously, this situation makes me question how the FIA issues Super licences, more than the cases of people who buy their seat in F1.
    To me, the root of the problem lays there.
    I understand why some teams welcome drivers who bring money with them (personal wealth, or sponsorship), but the role of the FIA should be to make sure they are up to the job.
    There is a calculation of points acquired in lower categories to determine who can receive a super licence, but the system doesn't look bulletproof to me.
    I don't think the blame rests solely with Williams for exploiting what looks like a loophole, or with Sr for using his wealth to indulge his son.

In short, more than a case of "Stroll sucks", it's a case of "the FIA sucks" , yet again, by not administrating this sport correctly.

CSM0TION and BMWairhead like this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I agree with you, Stroll clearly wasn't up to the task of driving an f.1..he needed at least a gp2 year.....on thye other hand, Max was more than able to drive an f.1, but it's true that he didn't knew how to behave and made a lot of dangerous moves.....i think it must be a combination of age, points and an observation of the drivers behaviour. Look at Charles, he hasn't put a foot wrong, same with ocon....

375+ likes this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    What about Dad's type-A personality???? He saw an opportunity and "shoved" his son into F1. Stroll definitely needs more development in a lower series.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Maybe young drivers should be on probation for their first year, and their employer (team) have a replacement ready in case they get suspended.

I also realise that it may be tricky for teams and sponsors to sign young new drivers if they get rejected after a few races because they aren't up to the job.

The point system to obtain a super licence seems to be at fault here.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Massa knew what to tell the engineers. Stroll was upset that Massa wouldn't "help" him in car set up

WTF? You're COMPETITORS. Massa's job is not to make you look better than you are.

Bas and DF1 like this.
  25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    the thing that gets me is that Massa never uttered a bad word about Ferrari when there, when he left....ever. Or towards Alonso. Or anyone or any team.

Yet to Stroll he very quickly and publicly made some hints regarding his ''skill'' and the ''help''.

Says it all.

DF1 likes this.