Rocket Racer...would you fly it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rocket Racer...would you fly it?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by JoeRad, May 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeRad

JoeRad Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe Radosky
    The 1st Rocket Racer was powered by X-Cor, and was an on/off rocket (pulse) situation.
    The 2nd Rocket Racer is now powered by Armadillo Aerospace (TX) and I hear will have 50%-75%-100%-OFF power settings.

The Airframe is actually built from the Velocity Aircraft Co. in Sebastian, FL and will have modifications to include a wider airframe, plexiglass canopy, retractable gear and only one seat....developing into a racer rather than a proof of concept aircraft.

The power is around 2500 lbs of thrust from the Armadillo Aerospace powerplant...which takes Liquid Oxygen and Ethanol and mixes it in a chamber for fuel. The interesting point is there are no pumps for this fuel....it is pressured by Helium to boost the fuel through the system. I believe the racer will be at Oshkosh and Reno Air Races this year. I believe there was a Press Release a few months ago stating there were to be 24 of the Racers produced.

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Wow -
    So the newer version will have 1000 lbs more thrust than the first - more speed but I imagine more fuel burn. Wouldn't you rather use kerosene for the more visible plume? I think ethanol flames may be harder to see.
    I imagine the original Velocity airframe had to really get beefed up!

3. JoeRad

JoeRad Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe Radosky
    #28 JoeRad, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    Salt pellets are injected into the exhaust to show plume....and can create different colors.
    ...red, white, or green plume from what I have heard, and depends upon the team colors or request.

Yes....a lot of modifications are taking place at Velocity Aircraft in support of the Rocket Racer.
    I try to get updates weekly on the progress....love pushing onto a new frontier

4. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #29 jk0001, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss