Roma spider | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Roma spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gianfranco341, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I definitely prefer the coupe. I was waiting all day for the big reveal. I tuned in at precisely 2pm CST and was not blown away. My salesperson at Ferrari told me it would be a Roma convertible. I was hoping for something else or hoping that the Roma convertible would blow me away. If Ferrari would have announced any car that got me excited today, I would have got in line to order, just to up my profile and also so I could trade my current Ferrari before the mileage got too high.

2. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I see a few around Chicago and agree it’s a good looking machine
    But after that you have the issues I mentioned plus Jag quality and limited dealership network

sd dave likes this.
  3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very pretty car to my eyes. Dare I say it but there is a bit of 275 GTS/4 about the general elegance of the shape.

Bullfighter likes this.
  4. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think there might still be pop up hoops sitting underneath as those hoops don't look very high to me (I am just speculating). The hoops might just be stylistic. I also think that the slightly bulky rear (which is a bit disappointing to me in pics, might look good in real life but it really gives the car 911 vibes) was created to not reduce the boot space substantially due to housing for the folding top.

5. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Like its predecessors, there are probably detonation hoops which deploy in case of a rollover.

Looks bulky in the rear, as you mention. Very 911 like, so there are probably regulations to blame for the similarity. This is a departure from Portofino, where emphasis was laid on lowered the rear bulkhead, in an effort to give it a sportier stance coming from the Cali which again had a high rear bulkhead.

6. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I genuinely think that the higher bulkhead is to keep the boot space at par with Roma Coupe (255 L vs 272 L) rather than regulation but I don't have any special information to support this.

MisterMaranello and Senad like this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Love it... except for the damned rear headrests! Everything has be ruined today.

Who the hell is going to sit back there?

This would be pretty awesome as a SWB 2 seater. But no.....

Actualizer, ppg70, gt_lusso and 6 others like this.
  8. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    So true. smh

Enzo Belair likes this.
  9. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Profile looks remarkably like a DB11 (which is still the prettiest girl on the block for me). Pity it is not a hybrid like the 296. Guess I will stick with my Porto.

Alcav5 likes this.
  10. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    On a positive note, the configurator is already online, and my dealer just sent me a picture of the configurator in their showroom being live as well.

11. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    EXACTLY!!!! This is precisely what I think! How on Earth could the Ferrari designers NOT look at the shape of the Roma, see THE SAME thing we are talking about, and then design what could have been one of the most gorgeous Spiders to EVER come out of the factory?! Surely they could have made a case for it?! I'm truly shocked and disappointed. The Roma Coupe is a Heartbreaker. Unfortunately, so is this Spider...in all the wrong ways.

Actualizer, ohno, 430tdf and 2 others like this.
  12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I can't play with the configurator - it's just not working seamless w/ my desk top , when it does work the choices/options are very limited.
    Only real way to see a customized configuration is to go into the dealer , but doing so might set one back several hundred thousand...

13. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #313 Enzo Belair, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    All they needed to do is keep the back flat, like the Nart Spider and Daytona, the shape would have been retained and it would have looked like a cross between a Roma and Monza, perfect!

14. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    They did all they needed to do and the order book will be filled quickly.

Looking forward to videos of a lady with long hair and a scarf on that will billow in the wind as the car cruses down water front roads and streets lined with exclusive shops and magnificent hotels.

Actualizer likes this.
  15. Puro

Puro Karting

Sep 15, 2022
    Ciao Portofino

16. Carbon Bits

Carbon Bits Karting

Oct 26, 2021
    Ohio, USA
    This was somewhat alluded to before (e.g., long post 281 here), but the 911-like hunch back might result from aero. I wonder if they got a ton of turbulence when they started by simply lopping the top off… Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    (I also wonder if the “turbulent” reception to the car prompted somewhat today’s explanation.)

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What I would have done is make the rear headrests pop up if someone is sitting on the seats. Would have been a much cleaner design and looked more like a 2 seater. Cost more and weigh more? Yes. But I don't think people who buy these will care about either of those reasons.

A little more "muscle" in the rear hunches would have helped also. Something closer to the 296

I cannot stop looking at those rear seats. What is seen cannot be unseen.

Actualizer, ohno and gt_lusso like this.
  18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Man , I wanted to be sold on this car but I feel like the lines on the Porto seem more sexy . I don’t know maybe it looks better in person. I’m not racing over to the dealer to order this car. I really wanted to love it and order one but I can’t wrap my head around the rumble seat and the Porsche looking rear. The car from the side view just looks off to me.

19. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    The back seats in my LC500 convertible are similarly useless for people above age 5.

If we expect the rear seats to be used for passengers 0 to 2 percent of the time, why would Ferrari be looking to put more costs into that space?

I have to believe including back seats is an insurance thing. My Gen 2 NSX costs more that double the LC500 convertible to insure and my Lucid with over 1000 HP costs less to insure than the Lexus.

TheMayor likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Agree. But I bet they sell a ton of them.

I think that's the problem at Ferrari. They can sell just about anything even if its not maximized to be its best. That's kinda how I see this car and the SUV. Both should have been better given the brand and the price.

Someday maybe they will have to work harder for sales. But that day hasn't come yet.

Cigarzman likes this.
  21. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    That is a super important point. I am guessing the fully electrified Ferrari will require a product that has to be really good to be successful in the market.

The Roma will be a nice addition to the Ferrari cash generator and folks will enjoy the way they feel when driving it and how they look when being seen driving it. Bonus points on how it will complement their luxury property when left outside.

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My dealer is taking an "interested party" list. He has no idea when delivery can be had.
    I played with the configurator and the only combo that interests me is black & tan. I'm thinking...

23. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Who will go in those seats? My kids will happily cram in for the short drive to school drop off. And that's why I don't have an F8. If it can't handle school dropoff I'll hardly ever drive the car because that starts most of my days. I agree that it would look better with a lower rear deck, but my guess is with the higher back the cabin is going to be a very comfortable environment and frankly can't think of any 4 seat convertibles where I LOVE the back end. Bmw M4 probably the best I can come up with(despite the buck teeth) but I'd assume cabin feel is MUCH better in the roma
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob5819 likes this.
  24. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    The former Maserati Gran Turismo Convertible has rear seats that full size humans can sit in comfortably. Plus a Pininfarina body and Ferrari F136 engine. At 192 inches long it is a foot longer than our Portofino M (with useless rear seats) and 14 inches longer than my 458 Spider (with no rear seats): Haven't seen the new Gran Turismo in person.

View attachment 3496636
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

CETH, Caeruleus11 and kandi like this.
  25. ggencer

ggencer Karting

Aug 31, 2022
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    G.G.
    In my opinion Roma has been always a very controversial car and now it is even more controversial.

When Roma coupe was released it was a beautiful car but not in a Ferrari way. It was beautiful in an Aston Martin way in my opinion.

Now with the spider it lost another very Ferrari thing which is being hardtop convertible. In addition to an Aston Martin exterior design now it has also soft top like an Aston Martin. I love Aston Martin design but it is just not Ferrari.

All in all, as exterior design and having hardtop I think Portofino is more Ferrari. I hope it also had the tech in Roma as well…

Caeruleus11, bwelch and Cigarzman like this.