Roma spider | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Roma spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gianfranco341, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Interesting point of view and explanation of their strategy and the positioning of both models. Thanks for sharing!

SilverLeaf likes this.
  2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    That is marketing speak to justify the over lap of the Roma coupe with the Portofino convertible. The Portofino M is the 4th generation of the California platform so following the normal Ferrari life cycle it would be the last version of this particular platform. If a Roma spider is announced in late 2021, and the normal delay from official launch to first customer deliveries again follows the usual pattern, that would see Roma spiders not delivered in any significant numbers until early 2023. That gives the Portofino M around two years worth of production which is probably sufficient to satisfy demand for it before it is replaced. A further twist could be if Ferrari decide that a Roma spider is a two seat model only which is aimed at a different customer from the coupe. Losing the small rear seats would allow them to fit a soft top, preserve decent trunk space and offer a more classically styled front mid engined sports car for customers not attracted to the more extrovert looks of the traditional mid engined models.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think that is there way of saying that the back seats in the Roma are even more useless than those of the Porto. ;)

My recollection from the Roma thread was that the target audience was younger, urban hipsters, thus the upgrade in interior tech.
    So, maybe that leaves the Porto for us older, suburban non-hipsters?!?

I just got an email from Miller Motorcars that seems to indicate that Roma test drives are in the offing. That will be exciting.
    Roma Spider? I would be happy w/ a sunroof, but a Roma spider would, I think, be awesome, especially if it looks like some of the designs in this thread...T

drkita, Gianfranco341 and SilverLeaf like this.
  4. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  6. Patricia2020

Patricia2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Outstanding!

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nice but rims aren’t right....

SV

8. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Still I don’t like the rear spoiler but it is really beautiful . I think if a spoiler will be there it will be like the one already installed on a Roma coupe’ . I’m going to have a one hour test with a Ferrari Roma next Saturday just to check the feeling because I have the 812SF and I’m happy with it as a coupe’ but due to I’m in love with Roma I would consider the spider version in case

9. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
  10. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I don’t like Portofino mainly because interior is an old generation . Roma is next step . Even the rear part , if you see it from the back is not really nice , nothing to be compared with Roma . I think due to some rumors inside the factory and due to Portofino M is already a face lifting , there will be a Roma spider 2-3 years time and I hope

vcappp and Patricia2020 like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Gianfranco341 and Patricia2020 like this.
  12. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I'm just relaying what I was told, 2-3 years from now, they'll be talking about what's replacing the Roma. I could care less either way.

13. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Do you like to bet ? A Roma spider will come sooner than you think

vcappp and Patricia2020 like this.
  14. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Gianfranco341 likes this.
  15. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Sure, what do you want to bet? A Like? As I said before, just relaying what I was told. I have no way to confirm/deny it and could care less because I'd never buy it..

Patricia2020 likes this.
  16. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    You were saying firmly there will not be a Roma spider and as far as I know from inside the factory I say there will be a Roma spider and sooner as expected . Portofino will end then .

vcappp, uhn2000 and Patricia2020 like this.
  17. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Why is the Portafino M coming then? It'll be available for atleast a year or two

18. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    For two years otherwise thy don’t have anything similar in the mean time . Everybody knows a restyling is living for a short time . Think about my 812SF I got 5 months ago and after 2,5 years of production is already out of production even if it was not a restyling bit a new model

19. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    It makes sense that there would be a Roma Spider. Btw, great renderings, they look amazing.

I believe the Porto M is just a stopgap refresh intended to boost sales during the final years when the GPF was required to be introduced (not trying to hijack this into a GPF thread). They couldn’t just add GPF and suffer the 5-10% power decrease over the earlier production so they decided to take the engine and gearbox they had already developed for the Roma, make some minor styling adjustments and call it a day. This has the added benefit of selling a “new version” of the car without having to invest much at all into R&D. I do not believe the Porto M will have the standard 4 year lifespan and I would bet that the Roma and Roma Spider are slotted to replace the Cali/Porto model line altogether in the next couple years.

Just connecting the dots based on the available information. I could be totally wrong.

20. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
  21. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Agreed!

Anyone know of a us based mods firm that can do this level of work??

SV

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly. Quite the pleasant little conundrum to have.
    T

23. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    https://www.prefix.com/

SVCalifornia likes this.
  24. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    You could just buy a Boxster Spyder ;-).

25. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nowhere near as fast, emotional or as pretty!

SV