Roma spider | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Roma spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gianfranco341, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A retractable hardtop Roma would essentially be a Porto M, the soft top Roma makes another excellent option with the benefits below"

perrinnation and 456-boy like this.
  2. vcappp

vcappp Rookie

Aug 25, 2021
    Do you mean that there will be both hardtop and softtop Roma convetible? 2 versions?

3. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No, I was was pointing out that a retractable hardtop Roma would be the same as a Porto M.

5. 400GT4doors

400GT4doors Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Vigo, Spain
    Hard tops make the design of the side view of the cars a bit unbalanced because of the space needed to store the top. Soft top spyders have always been much more well balanced and (IMHO) much more beautiful. Maybe that could be a reason. Maybe Ferrari wanted to keep the spyder as beautiful as the coupe.

SAT4RE and 456-boy like this.
  6. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
  7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball

Attached Files:

• 275.jpg
      275.jpg
      File size:
      126.8 KB
      Views:
    JAM1, mcimino, TheMayor and 4 others like this.
  8. Cavallino Baracca

May 11, 2020
    I was at my dealer a few days ago tweaking my Roma build and he indicated that there may be a convertible soft top and a targa option. Sort of bringing back the same 3 options they had with the 355 (coupe, spider and targa). If a targa is in the books I’ll def throw my hat in for that.

F140C, llk, technom3 and 2 others like this.
  9. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    oooooooh..... targa version would be killer.

technom3 and SkiFreak like this.
  10. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I really hope this Roma Spider will get an updated engine but I fear/suspect that Ferrari will use the exact same engine as the current PortoM/Roma engine.

Regarding design, I hope too that Ferrari introduces updated design elements, ala Roma M.

At the end there will be 3 cars with same engine but : hard top (Roma), soft top (Roma Spider), retractable hard top (PortoM). Reminds me the Porsche range…

11. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    curious why you'd fear the same engine? For what its worth there are v12 roma mules running around italy right now. Nobody seems to know if it will actually be a v12 roma or if they are just using the body to test a new drivetrain. recent spy pics make it look like there will in fact be a v12 roma. v12 roma spyder would be something wouldn't it...

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They are 812-replacement mules.

456-boy likes this.
  13. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    The mules with a stretched Roma body are testing a new V12 engine but they are not Roma, they are the 812 replacement.

I wish the Roma spider would have an updated V8 engine and an updated design too compare to the current Roma coupé, because the Roma has been released some years ago and even if it ages well it would seem logical to add a few modifications/enhancements in the car for its new version.

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That will only happen if they also update the coupe (as in an M version).

456-boy likes this.
  15. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  16. SLC4S

SLC4S Karting

Jun 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I like some of the photoshops in the youtube video a few posts back more.. has the potential to be an absolute stunner

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    This was posted on another forum back in late October by a Porsche owner who did a trip to the Nardo testing circuit in Italy -

"While I was at Nardo, I saw the upcoming Roma convertible up close and personal, and boy does it turn heads.

For those that's thinking about it, you might as well pull the trigger now. The rear deck treatment is basically perfect. Too small little hump. The top profile when up is very harmonious with the rest of the styling.

No pics, security was very tight about that, as not only VAG got cars there, but Aston, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, and others too. They had to go through all our drone footages frame by frame to see if we captured something that's not supposed to be there."

vcappp and 456-boy like this.
  18. vcappp

vcappp Rookie

Aug 25, 2021

Was it a soft top version? Or a hard top convertible? Thanks

19. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    It has a soft top. He suggested that the section above the front seats looks to likely have a hard top panel beneath the cloth surface like the Porsche 911/Boxster.

vcappp likes this.
  20. vcappp

vcappp Rookie

Aug 25, 2021
    thanks. Does the soft top version still have the rear seat?

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I believe from other threads on F Chat that it does still have the rear seats. I'd have much preferred to see a luggage shelf there, or at least the option of one as there was on the early Californias.

nickg612 likes this.
  22. stefaneinz

stefaneinz Rookie

Nov 10, 2019
    Roma Spider is very appealing - I've run my Roma now for 18 months and a good few thousand miles and love it (at least now with the updated software). A roof down version would add another dimension for sure. Hoping for launch later this year.

23. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    456-boy likes this.
  24. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    TheMayor likes this.