Ron or Flavio? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ron or Flavio?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Who do you personally prefer as a human being?

1. Ron Dennis

2. Flavio Briatore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  2. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Ask Berger how Flav treated him the race weekend his father died...

375+ likes this.
  3. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Oh, he tried alright...

4. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    That's crazy. Flavio never made a single technical or tactical call from the pit wall or anywhere else in his entire time at Benetton. What do you think Brawn and Walkinshaw (no angel either) were there for?

crinoid likes this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What was your role Peter? What period were you there?

6. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Marketing, in his first season with the team. Sacked for refusing to co-operate in setting up a kick-back scheme. Dealt with him and his sleazy minions again in the mid-1990s when advising one of the team's sponsors (after he tried to prevent me from getting that consulting deal). Had some very good friends working at/with the team who kept me very well informed in subsequent years.

crinoid likes this.
  7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ah, so you were right there at the sharp end of his dealings then. He truly is a crafty devil, what a prick to try to stop you getting a gig like that..

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Reading Flavio Briatore's resumé on Wikipédia is interesting.
    For example his early life and his problems with the justice in Italy where he received 2 prison sentences for fraud.
    He ran away to avoid going to jail and only set foot in Italy years later when he was safe from prosecution.
    He was a refugee in the Virgin Islands where he started working for Benetton.

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s the story of almost everyone that makes money in Italy! The justice system invariably catches up, writs are issued, bribes are made and a time limit for return is negotiated..... its rare anyone of any monetary power does actual jail time, and if they do, mostly they pay to have their jail time commuted to house arrest and then pay those jailing them to turn a blind eye to let them carry on almost as normal!

10. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Thanks, Sid. There are always a few movie-grade villains in F1 at any given time, and I certainly learned a lot from my experience with Flav, albeit the hard way. It all worked out in the end, though. From your posts, it seems you are well enough acquainted with this world to understand when I say that having the right enemies in F1 can be just as helpful as having the right friends!

daytona355 likes this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Don’t I know it mate! It never ceases to amaze me how looking from the outside in, f1 and its characters seems like a fluffy soap opera, whereas actually inside the machine, there are so many things going on that no one could suspect, good and bad. A third of what the media report is correct, another third wishful thinking, and another third is simply hidden away and kept out of the light completely!

crinoid likes this.
  12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #37 Flavio_C, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Flavio Briatore was a HACK before getting into F1. In F1 the Singapore crashgate was not the only of his wrongdoings. Ron Dennis all the way, from a simple mechanic to the maestro of the Mclaren empire.

How Briatore's mother could give him such a noble first name is beyond me. :p

jgonzalesm6 and crinoid like this.
  13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Are these hotter ladies for you? Flat-butted girls full of cellulitis.

14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Please, don't refer to that scum as Flavio, use Briatore please :oops:

15. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Oh, and to not forget: Briatore didn't know a **** about motorsport, racing cars, etc.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Dennis is definitely not a saint either.

Spygate, telling Hamilton to lie, cheating on his partner while on the death bed, the stupid way he behaved upon his return at Mclaren, the failed takeover attempts, etc. etc.

And that’s just part of what we know...

daytona355 likes this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Igor Ound likes this.
  18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ron Dennis and Flavio Briatore are just like many company CEOs who will adopt borderline and unethical methods in the interest of their business, or to further their own interest.
    The newspapers are full of stories of executives caught acting outside the law. I think power goes to their head at times, and Inside them grows a sense of invincibility.
    Some of us still treat F1 as a sport, when in fact it's a cut-throat business with everything that involves, attracting individuals ready to go to any length (including breaking the law) to be very successful and very rich too.
    F1 is absolutely littered with these characters, from Chapman to Briatore, from Ecclestone to Van Royen, or from Monteverdi to Mallya, and there plenty more ...

I often ponder on one of my father's saying; "You don't become rich by staying honest".
    I don't subscribe fully to that, but to become successful, you certainly have to be ruthless.

19. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    Duly noted...

daytona355 likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Can I change my vote now please? **** Briatore. I don’t like Ron much, but at least he didn’t screw over an fchatter (as far as we know)

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    True, the ones screwed by Ron are over at Mclarenlife, in the owners section ;)

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  22. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    #47 Peter Tabmow, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Never heard about the cheating part. I know Ron and his wife split in 2008 – was it after that? I can tell you that when Briatore and Naomi Campbell broke up, she cut the crotch out of all his trousers and all his neckties in half...

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #48 Igor Ound, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    My bad, meant business partner. IIRC Dennis attempted an hostile takeover right while Mansour Ojjeh was believed to have only few days to live and tried to court his daughter while he was at it. No wonder when Ojjeh eventually survived his cancer was pretty pissed off at uncle Ron and threw him out in the end.

24. Peter Tabmow

Nov 10, 2010
    No, my bad, I should have recognised that was what you were talking about. And all that definitely happened.

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    These two guys are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.Never met Ron, did briefly meet Flavio ,with Schumi, at Hockenheim 1994. I was wearing a Ferrari jacket at the time and somehow ended up in the Benetton hospitality unit post race...long story.

Anyhow,knowing all the stories over the years regarding both of them,it is a tough call .I give the nod to Flavio as someone to have a drink and chat with,if only to get the low down on his ex's. ;)