Roof Failure! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Roof Failure!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by scrowe, May 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scrowe

scrowe Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve Crowe
    #26 scrowe, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Once again thank you folks for the info and suggestions - especially the techie stuff from 4th_gear and mp3_e46 - interesting and, for the future, useful stuff.

I took a quick pic of the dent in the right side of the roof just before I left to get the car fixed. Not a great picture but I was in a hurry - sorry. Not an insignificant ding!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have my roof down and the roof failure light just came FIRST TIME EVER , I drive the car every day so I did not charge it but I now have it plugged into the charger and will try to full charge the battery .. However mine is different in that I cannot get the roof to raise at all any body else have this problem ... THe dealer is over 200 miles away so I really want to try to at least get the roof up .... IS there a manual way to raise it.??????HELP
    LarryH

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    FOR INFORMATION after having the car say roof failure with the top down and it prevented me from raising the top at all I charged the car for a couple of hours still not fully charged but I started the car raised and lowered the windows and opened the door then turned car off. After sitting for about 10 seconds i started the car up and then the roof raised the roof failure light went away and all seems fine .. I will let it charge over night. THis is on a car that I drive virtually every day yet I had not charged it .. I guess i will need to charge it occasionally over night ..
    LarryH

4. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    How old is your battery? If you are driving several miles each day, you shouldn't need to recharge each night. Maybe your battery is getting worn out. Or else the alternator isn't fully recharging it.

Also, do you leave the engine running while you raise/lower the top? I was advised to do so, since the motors draw a lot of power.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Actually the car is only 8 weeks old I do drive it every day but sometimes for only 15 miles or so, my guess is it is not fully recharging . and yes I do leave the engine running when putting the top down..

LarryH

6. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Hmmm ... I don't have any better ideas, other than you might want to have a local shop test the battery before sending the car to the dealer if the charger doesn't help. I would have thought 15 miles would be enough to recharge after starting the engine. Please keep us posted on the diagnosis. Good luck.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually, if you just drive it at city speeds for 15 minutes a day, it will definitely kill the battery in a few months. Idling does not generate much current, it just runs the spark plugs, the AC and radio. I guess you haven't been reading my posts on this topic.

My experience has been that car batteries do not recharge unless you do at least 30-40 minutes of uninterrupted fast highway driving. I learned that lesson over 20 years ago with my BMWs.

If you use the roof quite often, that will definitely quicken drainage of the battery. To be safe, you must plug the battery tender in EVERY DAY. Hopefully, your battery tender will fully recharge the battery. You can test with a voltmeter if you are familiar with doing an open-circuit voltage test. I posted instructions on doing that as well. If your battery is in good condition it should read 12.4V and above.

In case you have a problem with the hydraulic pump for the roof, make sure you check that as well.

8. davidisgood

davidisgood Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    USA
    Full Name:
    David
    How much did it cost to fix the roof closing issue (outside of the dent/paint fix)? Just curious because if I have the same problem wanted to know how much I have to save up for that?

Thanks much

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The Ferrari engineers are not so good with basic math and electricity.

Otherwise, they would design the electrical system with an alternator and a battery (located in a better cooler place away from engine and exhaust heat) and circuitry with an efficiency which could meet the needs of a DD.

Ferrari needs to improve in this area!

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Since the work was done under warranty and involved an (outside) Ferrari-certified bodyshop I don't think you will get a straight answer on this.

Steve's car apparently had defective hydraulic strut(s) that leaked as well as the dented roof panel so the work would have included troubleshooting to determine the cause of the dent, as well as cleaning up the hydraulic fluid spill(s), replacement of the strut(s), testing as well as repairs to the roof panel and repainting.

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Luxury cars tend to have more problems with batteries, probably because of the amount of electronics stuffed into them. Not sure if we can avoid the use of battery tenders but I think Ferrari can make the charging ports a little friendlier to use. It would also be more convenient if the chargers could be located inside the car and just provide a power socket on the outside of the car so all you need is to attach an extension cord to an outlet.

As you identified, the battery location is not good for the battery. Given that rear weight bias is preferred, I also think they could have moved it to the back. BMWs have batteries in the trunk where they stay clean and are easy to service as well as provide effective ballast.

12. scrowe

scrowe Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve Crowe
    #37 scrowe, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Good question - I don't have a very good answer.

The car is under warranty so none of the repairs cost me anything (whew!). As 4th_gear indicated there was plumbing to be repaired (pipes and clamps and pumps) and some clean-up to do. Also there was the collateral damage (the roof dents and paint). All covered. Now I did ask how much the roof damage would have cost to repair and, keeping in mind that the body shop is owned by the dealership (Ferrari of Beverly Hills), the answer was "about $3-$4K". I don't know if that's just the dents and the paint or the whole job. Sounds like a bunch, and it is, but not as much as I expected and they did an OUTSTANDING job.

The interesting thing is that Ferrari is trying to sell me an extended warranty for $10.5K and I have to decide in the next week or two. While I am inclined to go for it, I am waffling at the moment. If they had told me that the roof repair would have been a significantly larger number (as I had expected) I would have bought the extended warranty on the spot.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #38 tazandjan, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO, the dent repair and paintjob should not cost $3-$4K because at that price you can just about do an entire car. I would run a quick price check with other bodyshops that repairs Ferraris and Lamborghinis. Replacing the defective strut(s) should be less than $500.

I think the most expensive item that would benefit from extended warranty is the DCT transmission because it pretty well has to come from Ferrari so you don't have a price competing option.

15. scrowe

scrowe Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Steve Crowe
    A few random thoughts:

I LOVE my car and have had a very pleasant "Ferrari experience" so far.

I am having a very hard time figuring out what to expect to pay for repairs for anything on this car. With the huge (rumoured) mark-up on parts that have a Ferrari label on them and the labour rates that I expect Ferrari to charge, I am constantly expecting everything to cost a gazillion bucks (and am pleasantly surprised when it doesn't).

$3K-$4K for a whole car paint job sounds, maybe, a tad high ("I'll paint any car any colour for $69.95" - Earl Sheib) except that:
    a) This is a Ferrari
    b) When I bought the car the colour I wanted turned out to be a $10K option - I guess I should have bought a "no-cost colour" and had the car repainted as soon as I got it
    c) For what people are paying to "wrap" a car it seems to me that a better option (or equally good option) would be to respray once in a while if the cost is really much south of $3.5K
    Then again (honestly and sincerely) what the heck do I know :)

With respect to the extended warranty and the DCT:
    a) how often do these things really fail? Sure you hear a lot of justifiable noise from the people who have had problems but just how common is it?
    b) one of the cost uppers is/was that Getrag would not let anyone repair them. A failure meant a full swap and the unopened failed box is shipped back to them. This makes some sense when the trans was new and Getrag, looking for design problems, wanted to diagnose the failure before anyone tried to fix it. But this trans has been out for several years now and been used in several different cars. I heard somewhere (and I don't remember where) recently that Getrag is loosening up on the "no repair" policy.
    c) I was told recently, by someone who may know a bit about this, that many of the failures in this box are NOT mechanical. The problem is that some of the wires for the electronics in the box react badly to being constantly bathed in hot, moving transmission oil. If that is the only problem then insisting on swapping the whole box for such a failure seems a little inefficient.
    Now given that the extended warranty is being pushed at me with "what if the DCT fails?" and given the above, I would wonder whether an unlikely failure is going to continue to cost what it used to, and whether the extended warranty is worth it. But, again, I just don't know what to expect for repair costs for this thing.

16. Franklambo

Franklambo Rookie

Jun 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Frank Consoli
    Hi
    I am new to Ferrari chat
    I have just purchased a 2010 California and also have a roof issue.
    On closing the roof the rear glass and roof crashed in to the closed position and dented the roof panel.
    I have checked for fluid leakages and there dosn't seem to be any.
    Is there a recognised repair for this common problem ?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Frank