Roof rack options? | FerrariChat

Roof rack options?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tantumaude, Jan 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Call me crazy...planning a road trip for the early summer, and I fear the 456 can't handle carrying everything needed for my daughter, my wife and myself. So, I thought about a roof rack. Yes, I know shipping, using other cars, etc would all be easier, but I think there'd be something to be said about the sight of a 456 with luggage on the roof!

A quick search shows me an abortive attempt at finding a ski rack, and not much else. I'd be open to pretty much any variation--high-load, mid-load or low-load (although the first two seem better). I realise I may need to go custom, but if anyone has any recommendations, it's to be found here!
    Thanks!

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I've seen some interesting car / roof-rack combos in my time, even on a Ferrari (F40!) - if you do find one for your 456, please post a photo.

I spotted this one at Silverstone a few years ago - I think this guy may have had the same problem as you, just more wives / children:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Though in all honesty, I have to spoil the story - the owner is actually an undertaker

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I would considder to fit it on the trunk instead. Because at speeds the top roof rack will not be ideal... It will look better too. Just my opinion.

4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Road trips in Ferraris are awesome! Seasucker makes suction cup racks. I've used them on my Jag for a 1200km ski trip in temps ranging from from -20 C to +5 C with no issues travelling at about 120 km/h. I have never used them on my 550, but I have mounted them just to see how it looks. My Jag has a glass roof so I was not concerned with marking the paint. Just google seasucker.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Laserguru likes this.
  5. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Yes, that would be the mid-mount option.

6. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Yes, that would be me. :) I used a few times a vintage (1960's Swedish Thule) ski rack on my S1 E-type 2+2 and I was thinking of using a magnetic one on the 456 GT but a bit worried about paint scuffs. Yes, that suction cup version should also work well on a 456 GT, the trunk slopes even better than the 575 shown in the photo. Would of course need to unmount the skis before opening the trunk, but it was also the case with the E-type (if you know how the rear door opens sideways, very high). Well lets see, I like those and the idea a lot. But no winter tires yet either... :)

7. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I have the single bike rack that they make and it's fantastic.

8. ntlr

ntlr Karting

Jan 25, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick T
  9. luffy

luffy Rookie

Apr 22, 2006
    You could use a couple of seasucker bars to provide "mounts" on the roof, then either use a small, hard shell cargo box, or one of the thule soft cargo bags. If using the soft bag, in between the bars, having some 3m protective film applied to the roof would be worth your time / expense.

The soft bags from Thule are waterproof and work well, they come up on sale at CDN tire every few months for $39.99. Easily stored and removed once you are at your destination. I've got one if you want to mock-up the installation

10. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I bought the bars. Next step is to find a hard box, but failing that I'll go with the bag. Thanks for the advice!

11. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Call me crazy, as most on this site do. I have carried 210 size skis in both my 575 and 911 Porsche. Got to open the windows.

Never carried a bike. I did fit 6 people in a 911. I am all for roof racks