Rossi is going F1 racing in 07 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rossi is going F1 racing in 07

Discussion in 'F1' started by 2000YELLOW360, Sep 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, yes agree.

All in all putting Rossi in a F1 seat is bad for Rossi, bad for Italy and bad for Ferrari. The only plus is for the general public as he is a character.

Ferrari stated ages ago that it is simply to much pressure on an Italian to drive for Ferrari ... and on top of that Rossi has no car racing experience. We do not need another fast (er, slow?) lapper we need racers.

I do hope this is another one of the press/internet lies.
    Pete

2. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Rossi has shown a new driving style to Ferrari during testing...

[​IMG]

3. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, I guess in that case it won't happen then.
    :)

5. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    I cite the same fact everytime this comes up, but once again:

Senna was a full second FASTER than the previous years World Champion, Rosberg, after only an afternoon of lapping Donington Park. While I hope Rossi does well, and I'll definitely be going to at least one MotoGP race in 2006 to catch the living legend before he moves on, 99% of this "testing" is hype to this point IMO.

6. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    not for the other MotoGP riders!! :)

7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  8. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
  9. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    All i can say is it's happened before. Mike Hailwood is a good example. Racing Bikes to Racing cars can be done.

10. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    It is my opinion that it takes much more skill to race a bike than a car. The reason that you don't see more ex-bike racers at the top of the car racing field, is that they do not attempt to make the change until they have passed their peak.
    Since Rossi has not peaked, he will do well.

11. GERRA456gt

GERRA456gt Formula 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Australia, Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    i reallly dont think that Rossi will end up in F1, but it would not cross my mind, i mean what else does he have to achieve? he has already Conquered two wheelers, why not step into 4?

12. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    From the info I've read, Rossi's best lap is a 58.3. He has only had two test sessions, one in April (14 laps), and one just recently (80 laps). So he's slower than Michael, what'd you expect? Ferrari will let Rossi test every four weeks. I would assume this will increase if Ferrari's interest increases in Vale. However, Rossi has a championship to fight for next year, and he's helping develope the new bike for next season. Ferrari also wants to get him on other tracks besides Fiorano. Lap times at Fiorano are in no way a standard for comparing a driver's ability to others, but they can be a useful guage.

Give the man some time behind the wheel. Maybe he'll develope a competitive driving style in the next year. Sounds kinda silly, to become competitive in a year's time. I wouldn't expect Rossi to be a top ten drive for some time. I'm sure that some of natural talent will carry over, but will it be enough?

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Who the hell is Valentino Rossi?
    Wasn't he designing Men's suits last week for the upcoming Fall Fashion shows?

14. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Rossi will be the next big thing to hit F1. Much to the dismay of car guys, he has worked his way to the top by racing on 2 wheels.

In car guy terms, he would have been world champion in Formula V, Formula Mazda, GP2 and Formula 1. Dominiating F1 was not enough, so he moved to a SLOWER TEAM, and did it again.

You can see the next Ferrari driver you will be cheering for by watching him now on 2 wheels. Catch him while you still have a chance at:

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/22/

If you have not seem a moto GP race, it would be a nice change from the follow the leader, pass in the pits, F1 races that you have grown familiar with.

15. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Guy:

Short of something extraordinary, it's a done deal. Yamaha is going to get sued by Galouies (sp?) over what they've done, i.e., set up a straw company to "sponor" Rossi to avoid the contract agreement with Galouies, which requires them to have Galouies sponsor Rossi if he rides for the Yamaha factory next year. This little bit of manuevering was done to keep him, since his deal with Ferrari isn't going to start until 07. I can't imagine that happening without a firm committment.

As to the comments about speed: The skills necessary to go fast on a bike are the same, but the technical manner is different. While the lines are similar, the entrance and exit techniques are very different. I've done both, raced AMA and a Shifter, and I had a heck of a time with the shifter because of those differences.

Rossi is a workaholic. Anyone who knows him, knows that he spends huge amounts of time testing, and getting ready. He'll do the same in F1.

BTW, Stephen, if you were within 1 second of Bayless or Corser, I can't imagine why someone didn't pick you up. My question is: could you ran at that speed the entire race? When I was getting old, I could always get at least one quick lap, but if I tried to run at that speed for any distance, I'd crash.

Art

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I just read this yesterday. My parents returned from Europe and in their British newspaper (London Times, I think) Martin Brundle wrote exactly that in his article.

17. T.O. Dino

T.O. Dino Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2004
    Toronto Canada

well put

18. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    alexpapas, You can see many of Rossi's MotoGP races over the last five years at:http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/index.htm It will cost you about $45.00/year to get member privileges, but if you really want to see how talented a two wheel racer Rossi is, than this is least expensive way I know. As for me, once I saw Rossi racing MotoGP, I lost almost all interest in every other racer and racing series. He is that good.

19. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Just thought I should post this although it is completely ambiguous!

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Art
    If you couldn't lap within a second or so of either guy on the same equipment, that you were well practiced on at a 50sec lap track, you wouldn't even be considered a competitive club racer, let alone a potential world champion. Club races are also only 5-8 laps Ask Troy next time you see him, how badly Steve Martin used to kick his @ss in club and Aust superbike. Actually, better to ask Steve. Amazing how one ride, at the Aust GP on the 250GP Suzuki changed a moderately successful Aussie club racers life.
    Your argument validates my point entirely, I am no champion, never will be, don't aspire to. Your post pours scorn on me for being able to lap WITHIN a second of these guys, yet Rossi is 3 secs slower and according to you, he's got it in him to move to F1 and be a champion.

21. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I don't want to get too off-track here, but are you saying Martin has always been a better racer then Corser?

22. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    We have a fair amount of "One Track Wonders" over here too.
    What makes a good racer is going fast at all the tracks they race on, not just their home track.

23. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Fred2
    Again, I agree entirely. I'm not a bike racers @sshole, but at such short tracks, times are very close to one another, good racers and bad.
    sbj509
    I was referring to Troy Bayliss, always a bridesmaid to Steve, but look where fate has taken each of them...

24. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Whoops, my misunderstanding. I know very little about Bayliss' career prior to his BSB championship.

I wasn't disparaging Martin, in fact I always root for the underdog and anyone on the Foggy Petronas will always be that.

25. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    #50 ferrari4evr1, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This picture was found in the most recent issue of Autoweek magazine...
    Seems Rossi is going to be doing more testing for Ferrari according to the article.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.................
    Image Unavailable, Please Login