Rough idle after start when cold. Help???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rough idle after start when cold. Help????

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ronfrohock, Oct 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Only if you pass test #2 (can you be 100% sure that the protection relay is bad).

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    At the socket. I believe we are all set. Now I just need to fine a new relay.
    Honestly Steve, I can't thank you enough. I'm the sort of guy that typically sends the car in if there is any reason for concern. You took the time to walk me thru the diagnostics and I really appreciate it. Plus this sequence of events is now avaialbe for others to learn from going forward.

Again, thanks a bunch.

- Ron

Il Steeg and moysiuan like this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad to lend a hand Ron -- hopefully, we've saved a skilled F mechanic from having to replace your protection relay AND undo a bunch of needless mechanical fuel injection tweaks done by an unskilled mechanic in a fruitless quest to "fix" the problem ;)

The "old" Stribel number for that relay is 92861512400, but I believe that it's been superceeded to 92861512402. Both AFP and RA have it at a non-crazy price, but the best price I found online was from Pelican Parts ($91) -- or you might try another Porsche source if you have one more local to you.

4. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Steve, you are the best! Way to help out Ron. Great great job there.

Il Steeg likes this.
  5. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can confirm the part number is 92861512402. My car, also an 88, needed one. It should be about $90 from a Porsche supplier or $140 for the same part from a Ferrari supplier.

It made a night and day difference to how the car ran. Thanks to Brett from Gran Turismo (a.k.a. brettski here) who diagnosed it for me. He checked my car by replacing the relay with one he had from a Testarossa, which uses the same part.

6. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hey Steve,

You are great, thanks from all of us and good luck Ron, I hope car runs perfect soon.

Lino

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Daniel at Ricambi.
    I think he said the cost was $140.00.
    He is mailing it out and I will have it by Thursday.
    I look forward to installing it and moving on.......
    I will post back with the results.
    - Ron

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I went down to the garage to install it.

The engine started, idled and ran perfectly. I almost wonder if the relay had been on its way out for a while as it the engine idles much better now then in the past. Its raining now so I cant road test it, but I let it run for about 15 minutes without failure.

Is it possible that a relay goes bad over time? I thought they either work or they don't......

I cant thank Steve Magnusson enough for his help.

He clearly knows these cars and their systems intimately. He is also very generous with this time and advice.

I sincerely appreciate your help Steve.

I hope this post provides guidance to others going forward to those who have cars that exhibit the same problem that I experienced.

Go F-Chat!

Thanks
    - Ron Frohock

Il Steeg and moysiuan like this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad that you've got it sorted and working well Ron.

I'd agree with you that usually a relay (switch) problem is a yes-no kind of thing, and it either works, or it doesn't. One exception could be if the relay contacts still make a connection, but a poor connection with a fairly high resistance -- so, for example, instead of 12~14V reaching the injection ECU, maybe only 7~8V reaches the injection ECU, and it sort of works weirdly/poorly rather than being totally dead. Don't know if that's what really what happened, or even if that's what would happen, but just use it as a possible example. If things are working well, just enjoy where you are now and don't worry about where you were! ;)

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Bump....
    - Ron

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I am having this issue right now. I started my car last week and I noticed some slight hesitation at low RPM. I drove the car and it felt down on power but was running okay. The next day I went out to start the car and it was running very poorly. I noticed that the car no longer went through the typical warm up cycle either. It went right to a rough 1k RPM idle. It I give it gas, it stalls, or nearly stalls.

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I'll add that prior to it running poorly it was idling high at about 1400-1600 RPM.

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    It would take a lot to start and it wouldn't idel on its own without giving it gas.
    The test is easy enough, give it a try.....
    If nothing else you will know if the relay is good.
    - Ron

14. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    My car seems to fire easily but it is hard to keep running at first without feathering the throttle. If I give it too much throttle at first it stalls. Also, the WUR doesn't appear to be working now.

15. RDT

RDT Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    Newton, Ma.
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    Steve,
    I also have an 88.5 3.2 and had experienced all the similar issues described. I pulled the right rear trunk cover and pulled up plate to access the notorious relay, performed your bridge wire test, engine went back back to firing right up and no cold start coughing any longer! Yay!!!
    Thanks so much for your input a couple of decades ago and thank the stars (admins) for keeping this thread alive!

Il Steeg likes this.
  16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad that you found it useful, and got the problem sorted Ralph. It's kind of a shame that Bosch didn't put a little red indicator LED on the injection ECU itself to confirm when it has +12V power coming from the Protection Relay. We've had way too many cases of the Protection Relay failing and an (unknowledgeable) Mechanic (wrongly) turning every adjustment screw in the CIS system trying to "fix" the problem. Every F Owner with a K-Jet with Lambda model should "calibrate" themself by touching the frequency valve when the engine is running to learn how it vibrates/buzzes when it is working correctly (so they can know when it isn't working correctly). You don't even need to be skilled Mechanic or DIYer -- and you can do it while dressed in a tuxedo and not get dirty ;).

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Steve,
    We appreciate your continued guidance and support. You are tremendously helpful and generous with your time. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Congratulations on getting things solved! Make sure your antenna rubber seal is good, you can get water leaking down there into the electrical items. Maybe tighten up the nut from underneath and make sure it is snug.

19. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I'm going to add my thank to Steve and all those who keep this thread and forum going. My car has been running poorly for a while, but it has hardly been driven while getting a rebuilt steering rack installed. I know there are problems with the injectors as well, so...

I did decide to go check the frequency valve after looking through this thread, and found that it wasn't buzzing. I went to go see if jiggling the relay would help, and darn it, it wasn't there! A bot of fishing around found it way down in a crevice where it had fallen out. I plugged it back in, and the idle instantly smoothed out. Took it for a drive, and it didn't stall when cold. Yay!

Thanks again!

Il Steeg and ronfrohock like this.