Rough start/running/stalling issue. Tests to run to diagnose it? | FerrariChat

Rough start/running/stalling issue. Tests to run to diagnose it?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ketel, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gang,

My '03 360 Spider has had a persistent rough start and running issue which has gotten worse. I've had the vehicle a month. It starts up poorly - usually taking 2-3 times - and then the idle is low and rough, sounding like it's about to stall at any moment. In the past, it might clear and run ok but not today. Today was different.

Today, it took a while to start, the idle was rough, and it stalled after a few seconds. I tried a few more times unsuccessfully to fire the engine. It fired up on the fifth time and, after a minute or so, I drove off.

The idle was low and jumping a bit. I drove three blocks and came to a red light, then the vehicle stalled. In the middle of a busy throughway. It wouldn't start. I pushed it out of the main street into a side alley and tried another 20 times to get the engine to fire. When it finally fired, the engine wouldn't go above 1000-1500rpm. I had to feather the throttle very carefully to keep it from stalling again.

I carefully selected 1st gear and limped all the way home at about 3mph, hazards on.

A few days ago I cleaned the MAF sensors, so I don't think that's it. I also charged up the battery recently so I don't think it's a battery issue. A knowledgeable Fchatter suggested it might be a bad fuel pump. I have had a bunch CELs since I bought the vehicle but after I clear them and drive cycle to vehicle to see what comes back, when the CEL does returns the codes are entirely different. I think many of these might be ghost codes from when the battery was dead. I just don't know.

What do you guys think this poor starting, running and stalling issue might be, and what tests can I run over the next few days to narrow down the problem? I can't get the vehicle into anyone for a few weeks so I want to do some tests while it's just sitting here, undriveable, to eliminate a few things.

Thanks in advance.

ketel

2. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail see what pressure each side is running at.
    I allways start with the basics. Air ,fuel ,spark.
    What tools do you have.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Any of those phantom codes relating to throttle control/position or (accelerator) pedal position?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What are the new error codes

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Check codes.
    Check fuel pressure each side.
    Check ltft’s. Long term fuel trims.
    Check voltage from battery.
    Are battery terminals clean and tight?
    Hopefully no one jump started this car.

I’ve cleaned mass air sensors and then had them completely fail afterwards. I’ve found cleaning buys you time before you need new ones sometimes. Try another set of mass air meters if you have some handy or have a friend w them.

ketel and Qavion like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Try disconnecting one of the MAF sensors. If the car runs better, then that's a clue.

RANDY6005, ketel and one4torque like this.
  7. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You've had the car a month? Where was it prior to your ownership? How long was it sitting? How old is the gas?

/

one4torque likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You are just paying the used Ferrari sweat equity tax…. I promise this will get better once sorted… then drive enjoy.

ketel likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    From what I've been told, a rough running engine can cause the cats in the headers to break up with little parts of the ceramic matrix being sucked into the engine, potentially causing catastrophic damage.

It's suggested to not drive a 360 when it's misfiring.

If the car won't start after the second try, you should consider your drive over.

10. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I have most DIY'er hand tools and a few gauges, but willing to pick up whatever is reasonable.

11. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    It doesn't appear so. My initial batch of DTCs were misfire codes (the P0300 variety; i.e. P0301, P0302 et al). I cleared then and drive cycled the car; they didn't come back. The latest batch were evap related or 02 sensor related for the most part. Again, not sure how many of these are ghost codes.

ketel

12. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    P1269
    P1199
    P0141
    P0031
    P0102
    P0448
    P0414
    P1594
    P0661
    P0037
    P0445

13. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    The vehicle was in Florida. It sat. The last owner barely drove it the past 6 years. It got a new battery and I've since driven the vehicle a few hundreds miles, so any bad gas would be gone by now.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Two silly questions

Did you do a relearn after battery install and additionally do you wait for the "ok" before starting

Also check for ground cables ..make sure clean and tight in frame etc

Also could be dirt/gum get stuck on screens on fuel pumps

Try mixing BG44 in fresh fuel and let sit overnight and see if that changes anything

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dirty/clogged fuel injectors or injector seals eaten by alcohol can also give those symptoms.

one4torque likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #16 Qavion, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    I wasn't able to find all of your codes, but.....

P1269 Safety fuel cutoff (bank 2)

P1199 Ambient pressure Adaptation (Bank 2)

P0141 ? Not listed

P0031 ? Not listed

P0102 MAF

P0448 Evap system vent valve shorted

P0414 ? Not listed

P1594 Intake Manifold Switching Valve #2 shorting to ground

P0661 ? Not listed

P0037 ? Not listed

P0445 ? Not listed, but amongst the evap system codes

P1269 Safety fuel cutoff (bank 2) sounds interesting. Did you see this symbol on your digital fault display?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The inertia switch is in the driver's footwell (outboard)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

There are no relays directly wired to this, unlike some Ferraris. The switch sends a signal to both engine ECUs which shut down the fuel pumps after an accident. I guess you could try jiggling the reset button to see if anything happens. However, as far as I know, there is only one output wire on this switch (which goes to a splice and then to both ECUs), so you would expect both banks to shut down if the inertia switch had developed a problem. I know these switches cause problems on the 550 Maranello.

The shorted wiring codes also sound interesting, but finding them could take a bit of effort. Anyway, I have wiring diagrams if you need them.

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I did read someone had same issue and ended up being the inertia sensor

Qavion likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. I know on the 550 you can short out the switch as a temporary fix, but I don't know if the 360 is wired up the same. Also, access to the 550 switch is a lot easier.

19. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Like the previous poster said. Air, fuel and spark. Go through your checklists one at a time and the answer will come and it will be incredibly satisfying and you will know your car just a little more.

flash32 and one4torque like this.
  20. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Did a mouse chew some wiring? If it sat a lot it's very possible.

Qavion likes this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I did find one fault thread that turned out to be the wiring for the inertia switch going to one ECU. How badly does a 360 engine run with one bank shut down?

22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I'd replace the MAF's. Get the bosch ones with the same part#. approx $100 each I think. I don't have a lot of confidence in cleaning the MAF's. How many miles does the car have?

brookliner7 and one4torque like this.
  23. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Yes to both

Not familiar with BG44. Is that a fuel additive?

ketel

24. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    So clean the fuel injectors as a next step? Or check/replace spark plugs?

ketel

25. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I never got the gas-tank-with-a-line-through-it light, so I doubt this inertia switch is the issue. Seems if this problem was triggered by some accident it would cut off the fuel immediately, not over time. This running issue has been progressive. In other words, it drove "ok" when I purchased it by has deteriorated substantially the last few days to where the vehicle is not undriveable.

ketel