Rowing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rowing

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I hear you. I'm working from home today and my six year-old is off school... so no long jogs for me outside. Instead it's a workout in the downstairs gym, and then I'll take cell phone to the nearby soccer field and play some softball and soccer with the kidlet. No wind so perhaps the RC plane... not any workout for me but I'll land on other side of field and she runs like a maniac to go retrieve.

Have to find ways to be active despite life conspiring to prevent it...

Having dedicated home gym helps. No laundry hung on the equipment... no putting stuff hidden away and taking it out... The Concept rower was a nice addition.

2. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I row most every day. Did 5x500m last night with 1:00 rest between. I did all of them under 2:00 which is terrible but an improvement for me.

Sure, I'll do 2x2000m this evening. Thanks!

GT

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Just got done with the 2x2000m. Did a 3 minute rest in between. First time was 8:23 and the second was 8:33. I'm going to work at breaking 8:00 as well. I think I'm a lot of work from doing that but it's a good goal.

Thanks for the suggestion and motivation!

GT

4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Those are great times!

5. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    #30 GTHill, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just finished rowing with the goal of getting under 8:00 for 2000m and I did it! 7:59.3!

GT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    great Bloody job! Next open gym ,I will have the chance to see what my time is. Last time I did it, time was 7:31. I try to keep my 500m between 1:45:1:50, my goal is under 1:40

7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    When I was 18 and still living at home with my parents, they had a family gym membership. My folks would go every day, I went 3 or 4 times a week, and my sister went once. :)

I hated using the treadmills, so the gym staff suggested the rowing machine as a good alternative. I'd set it up for 2000m and then would try to beat my previous best time - I used to keep a notebook with all the dates and previous times. Then I went home and plotted them on my computer to see a nice trend line (and accompanying equation) of progress! :D

It'd be need to find my old notebook (might be with my stuff at my parents house) and my Excel file (on an old computer, possibly thrown away) - as I can't remember exactly what my times were. If I was going to buy any home cardiovascular exercise equipment, I'd probably go for a rower.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have one too. Bad news - it's never fun. No matter your skill level the concept 2 just sucks it out if you. It never ever gets easy, ever.

The plus? It kicks the **** out of running :)

9. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I did some 500m sprints and one 2000m today. I did a 1:45 500m. I still had some gas in the tank. I think I could do 1:40 soon.

GT

10. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I agree with that. I really can't stand running.

GT

11. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I just did crossfit last night where we ran 1 mile sprint, then Dead Lift for one minute straight. Take a 3 min rest and then 1600 meter row and Kettle Ball swing for 1 minute. I was pretty pleased with my row time of 6 min for 1600 meters.

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm reviving this because I just purchased a Concept 2 model B. Price was right . So for those rowing one year ago who's still doing it , GT ? For those who are, how do you keep it interesting ?

It's a great workout. I do a quick tabata of 1m on 30s rest in morning before work .

13. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I don't do it nearly as much as I should. However, I do recommend intervals. Google HIIT.

I got an interval timer for my iPhone so I listen to music while rowing. The interval timer tells you when to go into slow pace vs. high pace. When I can, I set the rower in front of the TV. Helps to calm the boredom.

GT

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Very familiar with HIIT and I use it to row and other exercises. On my cross fit days I start and end the WOD with rowing ....

I'm very interested to see how much it improves my cardio.

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    GT. how has iy benefited you when you were using it regularly?

16. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Well, I'm a fat ass so I don't do it as much as I should. Well, since I am, I suppose I should do it more often.

I love it for a cardio workout because I know I won't have achy joints in the morning. Muscles yes, but not joints.

GT

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Let me know if you start back ...