ROYAL PURPLE GEARBOX 75/90 | FerrariChat

ROYAL PURPLE GEARBOX 75/90

Discussion in '348/355' started by 002LM, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Hello ferrarichat,

Today a gear oil change was performed on a 355 to the royal purple 75/90 GL-5 specification. Immediately the gear shifter was smoother with no more hesitation, even when stone cold. Runs strong and smooth. It seems owners/techs here recommend REDLINE MTL for problematic gearboxes, but its good to know we have options for gear oil.

The idea to use royal purple came after hearing of other ferrari owners using it in older models. Its always good to see recommendations from other owners!

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    What was in the gearbox before the oil was changed and what other oils have you tried?

3. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    The gearbox had Valvoline 75/90 gl5 which I believe was a blend previously. In the past I have experienced valvoline, pennzoil, mobil 1, lucas, and shell in these gearboxs. Never had a chance to try the redline out yet.

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the info. I'm very pleased with the improvement Redline NS made in my car but I might try Amsoil next since the best shifting 348 I've ever driven had it in the gearbox.

BTW, do you have an LM002? Never even driven one, but I still love them.

5. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Your welcome. I will try the Redline NS next opportunity as I have only heard great things.. Royal purple seems to have mixed reviews on the internet; I did not expect magic, I think it was replacing tired fluid, hence the drastic improvement. I am a big ferrari fan and find the LM002 to be interesting/unique for Lamborghini as only around 328 were produced!

6. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Agreed. The PO of my car was a stickler for running factory recommended fluids, so pretty much anything was going to be an upgrade. Seems like every gearbox has its own favorite fluid so I will probably continue to experiment, but so far I'm loving the improvement provided by the NS.

Right with you on the Lambo-- those things are just insane. Sure wish I'd had the foresight to pick one up when they were cheap.

7. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Redline in the gearbox is the best that I have used. I use 5W40 Royal Purple in the crankcase and the car seems to like it best. Incidentally, I put it in my 550s as well and they like it too.

8. 002LM

002LM Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    I agree, seems that everybody has their own preference regarding fluids. Factory fluids are tried and tested when the cars were new,but if something could stand improvement, I like to keep an open mind and try a new brand. We have to remember that what was available in the mid 1990's as cutting edge might be improved upon by different manufacturers today! Sure, a large degree could be marketing with certain fluids but if it works for the owner, the proof is in the pudding.

There are so many cars I would love to experience, but not enough space for all! Like the lm002, another unique Lambo is the Jalpa, perhaps odd looking but a great sounding v8 predecessor to the gallardo, they are through the roof now as well!

9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Love the looks of the Jalpa. They were cheap for so long and then suddenly values skyrocketed. I was always worried that parts would be difficult to find due to the limited production numbers, but it seems like Lamborghini might be doing a better job of servicing older cars than Ferrari is.

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #10 WATSON, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Here are the basic properties for the Redline 75/90:

Can someone post the specifications for the Royal Purple 75/90?

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #11 m.stojanovic, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Interesting. Thank you.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thanks, I'll just keep using Mobil 1 in my gear box.

14. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have Royal Purple gear and Motor oil in both my 355 and 328 for the past 2+ years. Had no issues with either car.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No chance ;)

16. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    :p :D ;)

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Royal Purple gives very little information about their products.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In the case of Ferrari factory fluids it is more a matter of what is on the shelf that will prevent destruction. Shell has been paying Ferrari very large sums of money for a very long time and to think the products are used because they are the best available for the job is just ludicrous. They are used because they are waving the biggest check.

We have an LM002. I'd be happy to sell it but it has proven too good an investment. It has become something serious exotic collectors need to check off a box.

19. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #19 Arvid, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    I believe the RP can help some troublesome boxes but it sure did nothing for my 6-speed Getrag. I gave it a chance for about 4000km but eventually decided to change it. In my case the only remidy against hard and somewhat grinding shifts was the Redline MTL. Good stuff :)

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    This makes it a deal breaker for me. I don't like secrets.

21. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    +1

It's why I asked for specs. Every time I do nothing materializes.

m.stajonvic post showing the performance of the various gear oils speaks volumes about RP's ability to hold up under stress.

I won't put Royal Purple in my lawnmower until I at least know what it is.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #22 Rifledriver, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    If you dig deep enough there is a lot of interesting information about the differences in GL4 and GL5 oils and what they are really designed for and the long term effect of GL5 in transmissions with brass syncros. There is also a lot of obfuscation about the chemistry and brass on the part of many oil companies.
    FWIW all of the trans repairs I have been doing in the last few years replacing syncros match the photos and descriptions of the negative effect of GL5 chemistry on brass. Ferrari did not use brass in transaxles until the 355/456/550 so our experiences prior were meaningless in this particular matter. Some manufacturers are very adamant about no GL5 in their transmissions while Ferrari specs it. Asking an oil company what oil to use they will always go with the spec assigned by the manufacturer to avoid any liabilities, completely understandable but understanding why these transmissions are having the problems they have might lead one in another direction.

23. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    You really think the GL5 is causing issues in the 355 gearbox?

Is there a physical disadvantage in running a GL4 gear oil in the 355 instead of the GL5?

I ask because I do not really understand the differences & effects between the GL4 & GL5 oils.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  25. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI