RPM FACE COLOR CHANGES--the whole process--LOTS of pics | Page 6 | FerrariChat

RPM FACE COLOR CHANGES--the whole process--LOTS of pics

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, Nov 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fatty

Fatty Karting

Jun 5, 2010
    Australia
    #126 Fatty, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is for Jim94-348 (if you haven't already removed your dash cluster). I've tried looking for Craig's original posting but can't find it too, but I've taken the jump and followed the instructions by brokenarrow (thanks heaps!! you've saved me from a very annoying headache!).

First, make sure you remove *both* the top and bottom steering column plastic covers (fiddly, but I found that setting the turn-right signal stalk downwards help to remove the top cover). Once done, you'll see two metal bits sticking out, which will block you from removing the dash cluster (pic 2).

Picture 3 shows the bar which stops the column from dropping lower.

In picture 4, remove the bolt at the front, but only loosen the rear bolt (DON'T remove.. otherwise you will have one helluva time putting it back together). You can now slide the steering column downwards even more, and it's relatively simple to remove the dash cluster.

As for the reason why I took my dash apart, it's because the speedo-face dropped downwards after living in sports mode on the car 99% of the time (pic 1 - AARGH!!!!). In theory, this shouldn't happen, but the place who did the compliancing on my car (for the previous owner) did a lousy job replacing the speedo-face from mph to kmh (one of many dodgy crap, when I went over the car over my time of ownership). When I opened the dash cluster up, it was missing two screws (left and right of the cluster!!), and the speedo-face was just hanging from the notch on the right side.

Anyway, I 'fixed' it up with electrical tape, and replaced the missing screws as well, and it should stay in position from now onwards.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    #127 Chupee, Dec 30, 2011
    SO, after reading this thread for about 8 months I take the plunge and get the yellow face from Daniel , drop off my car at the dealer to have a few things done > Oil change ,skid pads, carbon fiber cover, shifter busing etc I did ask the shop to do what I had read with the Red model paint on the bottom of the needles! BUMMER!!! Shop did awesome switch but when I turned on the lights I got NO illumination EXCEPT for a 1" light on each needle ! Yes I see they did not paint the WHOLE needle What the hell is that ?.. Why didnt I realize red paint will never illuminate .. Kool part is there is a AQUA color band that wraps around the gauge! Does everyone have that ? Very kool , but I will have to pay the price for not thinking this thru and have the shop R&R the face down the road ..Just checking nobody has needles shining if they used RED non Flourescent paint correct? So during the day I got beautiful red needles and a sweet yellow tach At night I got some CHinese looking stubs shining on all my gauges Sad but true.. Here a few pics

3. Greegzar

Greegzar Rookie

Apr 11, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Full Name:
    Greg Patterson
    I have just got to the stage of doing this to my new member of the family ! and it looks great except the needles don't light up too well at night, I used red translusant model paint but I think i will use this paint that you used, how many coats did you put on ?

4. Spider360Matt

Spider360Matt Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    #129 Spider360Matt, Jul 30, 2012
    I found the ultimate dash upgrade was to change out all of the gauges and backlighting to the Challenge Stradale style. Special thanks to Dan (F1Rossa)

First, you obtain the set of gauge faces from Rob Flenley at
    Scuderia Systems (www.scuderiasystems.com). He appears to be the only one that provides a complete set; printed correctly for a full backlit capable; printed with the Cavalino on the tach - for those on the metric system, he offers a metric only speedo faceplate.

Second comes the technical part. Rod over at FAI in Costa Mesa Ca. replaces all of the lighting and backlighting to updated versions of the dash. It comes back with the complete backlight capabilities (the standard 360 gives the look of pacman) and all of the lighting is switched out with brighter and more crisp looking LEDs.

The only part you will have to manage is removing the white reflective surface on the back of your gauge needles and then resurfacing them with a luminescent red. I saw by the thread that someone actually painted the entire needle - DO NOT DO THIS. If you do, none of the lighting will shine through the needle and they will not light up.

I think the results speak for themselves. To me, its a GREAT upgrade that's more expensive that the tach swap but cheap compared to most upgrades/mods that people take on.

5. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    That looks fantastic! Yes, that's the right way of doing things. Just changing the dials is kinda a letdown when night falls. During the day it is fine. But when it gets dark, mannn....thos yellow dials look fantastic when lit up.

Good job!

6. bmw tuning

bmw tuning Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    Donny
    Hey guys as you might have seen (in my other thread) I just did this mod as well and painted my needles w/ transluscent paint after scrapping off the white but it doesnt glow at night I did about 4 nice thick coats to get coverage is that my issue? Anyone that has successfully done this mod and got glowing red needles did I just do to many coats? I figured it didnt matter since I only painted the bottom but something is not right... I dont wanna pull it all apart and re do the needles with only one or two coats if its still not gonna glow. Ideas? TIA

7. Spider360Matt

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    if you painted too far back on the needle, even if its the bottom you effectively stop the back light from coming through. You need to make sure that you only painted back as far as the white that you scraped off was positioned. You can tell how far by seeing from the front what will be visible (some of the needle hides under the plastic cover) - keep everything hidden unpainted...if that doesnt help, your back lights arent working.

8. bmw tuning

bmw tuning Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    Donny
    I figured that out actually and scraped the paint again and fixed it. They still won'y glow? I checked by hooking the gauges up without the needles on and all the LEDs are lighting up as should... I can't figure out the issue... I even used a red sharpie instead of translucent paint just in case, this is making no sense, only thing I can think of is the area that should have been clear is diverting light after I scraped the excess paint off but its still clear enough that it should light up a little, WTF?

9. Spider360Matt

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    if you feel OK about playing with those needles a little bit you may want to go to a local parts store and pick up some 800 or 1000 grit to clean up the plastic backing. Be sure to use water to lubricate and take your time - this will take a bit..

Im pretty sure that something isnt right with your lighting; however, if in scraping your paint off the plastic has become quite cloudly, it may prevent light through.

10. bmw tuning

bmw tuning Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    Donny
    Great minds think alike I tried that as well, I can see the light coming from the back but still not enough to illuminate the needles well enough to see them really good like in others pics. Im about to throw in the towel and just re do them 1 last time in white again but the red looks so good! LOL Im wondering did you push the needles all the way down? I wondering if lifting them a lil off the gauges would allow the light to come thru? It just doesn't make since? Everything is as should...

11. Spider360Matt

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    Did you upgrade the lighting to the LEDs? Mine, and I believe the other examples have upgraded the lighting to this. If you use the standard lighting its probably not going to be bright enough.

I refer to the company that did mine - FAI in Costa Mesa CA.

12. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Has anyone put a Scuderia style tach dial on a 360? Would like to see a pic of that.

This company sells them as well: http://www.dynamtechgroup.com/ferrari-dial-faces.php .

I think I like the updated bold style of the scud dial, but I think I'd prefer it to be yellow instead of orange. Anyone know of any other sellers of Scud style tach dial for the 360?

13. Spider360Matt

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    the Cavalino on these looks terrible! Like a modern impression artistic version...done by a Disney artist that got fired.

14. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My guess is that they do that on the website to avoid any legal... unpleasantness, and the actual items have the correct horsey on them.

15. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Perhaps, that is a good speculation and I hope true. I might give them a call to ask.

I really do like the bold and modern numbering on the Scuderia style. Just wish I could get it in the CS yellow. Wish there was a pic of it installed against a carbon 360 guage cluster.

16. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well, if you have a look at the photo at the bottom, "360 Ferrari Full Dash Set In Standard Style-Yellow", it certainly appears to have an authentic looking horse on it!

17. bmw tuning

bmw tuning Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    Donny
    Spider matt no I didn't touch the LEDs that has to be the difference why i can't get the bright glow you have going on there, as I am going to be selling soon I doubt its worth the time or $ for me to do so. I think i will just go back to white needle and enjoy the yellow face and carbonfiber surround thanx! Now I just hope white will glow like original? Anyone used white or anything else to get the factory look?

18. Spider360Matt

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    can you post a pic of what you have and the pics of your needles? Just to make sure that we are talking about the same mod? The thread has two types of updates. The yellow face only replacement (should be under $200 from Ricambi) and my upgrade, which involves about $1200 in modifications.

If you just did the less expensive upgrade, stick with the white needles. And, if you need another set because yours arent white anymore, reach out to Rod at FAI in Costa Mesa, CA. I beleive he has sets for sale (likely pretty cheap).

good luck!

19. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #144 spiderscott, Dec 12, 2012
  20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #145 spiderscott, Dec 12, 2012
    MarioVU1 likes this.
  21. F1rossa

F1rossa Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Matt.. I agree, do it right and get the facts.. I had the fortunate opportunity to speak to Ferrari, magnetti and the china distributor in this process. It's not replicated its the real deal. Only difference is less 5k of cost in comparison to buying it from Ferrari.

22. F1rossa

F1rossa Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    #147 F1rossa, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Getting oem needles with the right translucent back light is key! In addition replacement of green led lighting with red led replacement. It's a noticeable difference when the needles light up oem red.

23. F1rossa

F1rossa Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    #148 F1rossa, Dec 12, 2012
    Included 2 pics of a board change and final product

24. F1rossa

F1rossa Karting

Nov 26, 2011