RPM FACE COLOR CHANGES--the whole process--LOTS of pics | Page 7 | FerrariChat

RPM FACE COLOR CHANGES--the whole process--LOTS of pics

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, Nov 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ebaeza

Ebaeza Karting

May 14, 2007
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Eduardo
    Hello and thanks for this great post!

I followed the instructions but I obviously did something wrong... the rev dial is not properly aligned. It was aligned when I placed the cluster back into its place, but I then started the car and it moved back for aproximately 1 cm.

I have to open it all up again this wekeend and set it right, but please Brokenarrow let me know how to make the rev dial stay a 0. thanks!

2. Spider360Matt

Spider360Matt Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    California
    Dan you got the last set of 430 needles on the planet I think...would love to find me a set of those. FCA didnt have them and when I ping they dont respond now...must be busy. It really does the finish right!

3. F1rossa

F1rossa Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Let me see what i can do for you..I'll keep you posted.
    D

4. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
  5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #155 bisel, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I obtained my tach face from Ricambi ... they gave a 10% discount for FerrariChat members. The instructions on this forum are excellent and I was able to perform the mod without any drama. Painted the underside of the needles using Model Master Fluorescent red enamel model paint. Results are good.

Some points I experienced:

1. Follow instructions in this forum. Take your time and be meticulous.

2. If painting your needles, I found the paint I used (enamel) is a bit translucent. Had to put three coats on for coverage. One might want to see if they can get an acrylic paint as will likely provide better coverage and will dry faster. When you apply paint to back of needle, it is difficult to keep the paint off the sides of the needle, but no worries ... if you get a bit of paint on side of needle (as I did), just gently scrape the paint with your finger nail as that will not scratch the needle and you can get the paint off very easily. When you insert the needle back into the hub, I was in too big hurry inserting the needles into the hub piece and messed up the finish. Had to scrape paint off and re-do it. I found with enamel had to let dry at least 24 hours.

3. Also with painting the needles ... when you scrape off the old white paint, take your time and use a magnifying glass to ensure you get every last bit of white paint off. I did not try to use fine grit wet and dry, but you might try that as well. If you leave any bit of white paint on the back of the needle, it will make appear as streaks in the red paint that you apply.

4. The Ricambi tach face is opaque and numerals glow at night. I think there a couple of other sources for the tach face and I think at least one of these the entire tach face is illuminated using back lighting. I am not sure, but I would be concerned if you source one of those you might experience the "pac-man" appearance using the standard 360 back lighting. Do your research.

Lastly, if any 360 owners in the Phoenix area want to undertake this, PM me. I can offer additional advice and assistance if you like. No charge.

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Can't get any of the links to open. Can anyone tell me how much the Yellow 360 Tach face with the horsie is???? Where to get???? Thanks!

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi Rob,

Try this ... Clock Faces

They have both the metric and English version. You have to get the entire kit for £175 ($262). In some respects I like their version, but I prefer the Ricambi (but sans the horse) for night time view

Steve

8. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks Steve! I couldn't get my Internet Explorer to open any links last night. Works fine now...go figure!

9. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
  10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    That looks severely overpriced. ProSport Ferrari in the UK has the full set on their website for $262.

Here is the URL link to their site ...
    Clock Faces

That listing on eBay would not be bargain.

Steve

11. calsito

calsito Rookie

Jun 8, 2005
    I just finished and had one problem! The RPM needle won't move, the new yellow face guages is to thick. I had to leave the window framing out, otherwise it was to thick?
    Or did I had to glue around the needle???
    Thanks, greetings Paul

12. Jackattack

Jackattack Rookie

Nov 29, 2012
    Hi Guys,

I'm the proud new owner of a beautiful 2001 F360 Siper here in Melbourne Australia.

I want to change the tach from standard black to the 430 style yellow tach - but I'm confused - and here's why:

Many have spoken about the part from Ricambi "that includes the Ferrari Horse logo" (Cavallino) on the tach, but the picture on Ricambi's site does NOT contain the horse on the tach.

Call me obsessive but if I'm going to change the tach to yellow it's just got to have the Ferrari logo on the tach. GOTTA!!!

Any suggestions or information would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Jackattack

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I wonder if you correctly aligned the needle when you reinstalled the needle? I had no problem with mine.

Steve

14. calsito

calsito Rookie

Jun 8, 2005
    Oke, I’ll try to reinstall it. So you don't glue it?

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Ricambi does not do the horse, but you can purchase a little horse on eBay in chrome and wih a bit of glue, you have the horse. Some people have done this with success.

ProSport in UK has gauge faces with the horse, but they are the Stradale style not the 430.

Steve

16. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    No glue. There are two small protrusions on the back of the small rubber center cup. The needle has matching holes and the protrusions embed in the holes. They then embed in the small holes in the top of the gauge actuator and when you gently press it down should kind of snap in place. This assures that the needle is correctly aligned and you should have clearance to allow free movement.

Steve

17. calsito

calsito Rookie

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks Steve, I'll try it again.
    Greatings from Holland :)

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#168 Ricambi America, Mar 12, 2013
    A fellow Fchatter sent me a handful of these little tiny horses that he uses for model building. They look pretty cool on the tachometer face, and I suspect a wee blob of adhesive would hold them nicely in place.

I don't have a way (or desire) to inventory or sell the horses, but I'll include them at no charge with tach panels. Use them however you like.

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
  20. datatelcabling@aol.com

Apr 11, 2013
    I know this was posted awhile ago but I was wondering were you bought your Yellow/Red Faces? Thank you for taking so much time and documenting your Dash Removal and Tach replacment procedure. A shop in So Cal wants $3,200.00 to remove my dash and recover it...OOucchhh! According to your Post it should only take half a day to remove it and probably half a day to install it. With your info, I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks, Larry

21. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Hi Larry

They sell the faces on ebay or if not go directly to Prosport ferrari here in the UK

Time wise ive now removed and installed mine so many times i reckon i could have the dash out, faces changed and bolted back in place in around 1 hour, its a fairly easy job.

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

23. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    What size led bulbs do you use to replace in the dash ?
    How many led's are there to replace ??

Just to make sure I get this right, scrap off the white underside of each needle and repaint with translucent red ??
    Do not paint the top part ?
    I want the needles to be in red during day and glow red at night/
    How does it show red if you do not paint the top part red
    Thanks for this great write up

24. Pwcpro785

Pwcpro785 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2011
    New York/Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #174 Pwcpro785, Aug 13, 2013
    When scraping the needles be sure not to gouge or scratch the underside. Any defects on the back side of the needles are amplified, after painting, when seen through the front.

I polished the back of my needles with a dremel polishing wheel before painting them. This got rid of small scratches or anything else that would be amplified after install.

I used this paint someone here recommended and love the way it came out.

Also: I placed a dab of 'Shoe Goo' under the faces to hold them in place. It's great for this application because it remains flexible and is removable.

25. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I picked up my yellow face from Daniel at Ricambi yesterday and intend to install it this week. In the instructions at the start of this thread, you are told to remove the plastic lenses. Why is that necessary as it seems as if the complete plastic shroud and lenses are attached to the gauge cluster with four screws?
    Thanks
    Alan