Ruined Mini?? | FerrariChat

Ruined Mini??

Discussion in 'British' started by fanatic1, Jun 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Okay, Last night I was driving my '03 Mini 20,000 miles and it was raining. HARD. I was going approximately 20 mph in 2nd gear. I went through a puddle. The car smoked, then died. I figured I may have sucked in a little water, so I let it sit for a few minutes and tried to start it. When I tried to start it, it sounded like there were 20 ball bearings in a coffee can being shaken around. Of course it wouldn't start, and when I was out looking around it, there was a TON of oil spilling out from under the car. Thank god the car is still under warranty, and roadside assistance came out and towed me to the dealer for free. But, I'm wondering what could have happend? Anyone think my block is cracked...........that's what someone said here at work. Dealer opens in 2 hours..........ideas?

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    This reminds me of those Click and Clack radio show stump questions. I can't figure how running through the puddle water and oil spilling out would be related but it does seem to be too much of a coincidence. UNLESS it was a very deep puddle and the water forced something loose, oil filter maybe, or oil pressure sending unit which in turn caused oil to pour out.

3. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    As a MINI owner with plenty of problems, Ill tell u what happend. u took in water, and the engine is shot. my tech told me this happens all the time chronic problem, theres now a hole in your engine. call ur insurance company, report flood damage. My guy said that last time it happend it "blew a hole right out the back of the engine".

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    also, they will NOT warranty it; its not what they consider a flaw, just unfortunate circumstances. hope ur insurance is in good shape, let me know if i can be of any more help.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sounds like a hydrolock to me, the late model 300ZX is also vulnerable to this due to a low-mounted air intake

6. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    that is what it's sounding like................but I'm hoping warranty will cover it..........any chances, my dealer has been really helpful in the past. I do have good insurance, and of course all up to date........but how do I report "flood damage" if there really wasn't a "flood" per se?

thanks for the comments.

7. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Yep,

Hydro lock, Warranty won't cover it. I'm going through insurance now, I'll keep you guys posted. THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!!! I'm kind of hoping ins. will just total the car.............it's worth about 10G's. Damage is around 7500. Anyone???

8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    fanatic1,

Sorry to hear about your mini. I haven't heard about this problem occuring on Mini's before. Please keep us updated. This doesn't sound like you are the first person to have this problem. I wonder how frequently this happens? If you dont mind me asking, how deep was the puddle you drove over? It does sound like a design problem Mini should address. Good luck.

9. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Damn, that sucks!!! Just picked up my "S" last week, so far i love it!! I guess when it rains i will have to keep it in the garage and drive the Stradale. (NOT!!!)

10. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I've been online doing a bunch of research. Apparently, with Mini's this isn't uncommon. The puddle was approximately 6 - 8 inches deep. I was in 2nd gear approx20 - 25 mph. The puddle was only 5 - 6 ft long. I still think it should be warranty, but as someone else pointed out here, no way. I haven't heard much back from insurance company, you know now-a-days it's virtually impossible to reach a real live person. I'm kind of just sick to my stomach. New Mini, not paid off, and a blown engine, sucks..........

11. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
  12. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    That sucks! Sorry to hear about your troubles. But the same thing happened to my late model 300ZXTT, as mentioned above.

My fiance is going to get an "S" soon. This is vital info for her.

Good luck

13. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Woah, this sucks! I hope the ins. company will give you what is deserved and such. Is this problem just with the new minis? is there certain years that are more prone to this problem?

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    my business partner trashed his maser spider motor same way past summer. warantee not cover it but auto ins did. has the plan through being previous army officer. think its called AA ins co. was about 40 grand for motor swap.

ps my mini is one of first ones as a 2002 and is now going off lease this summer. zero service issues since new.

15. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    USAA. Great insurance company. However, IIRC, to get it you or a family member must have been active duty military.