Rumor: Todt being fired at Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rumor: Todt being fired at Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Cavallino Motors, Feb 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Usually very reliable source.
    He told me also a few years ago that MS was going to retire. Though that was pushed back for another year but after that I heard that MS had really planned then to retire a year earlier and changed his mind. So it was true yet not :)

I am with you, I so hope this is wrong. JT is the face behind the revival of the Scuderia. I would hate to see this tarnished. That in itself makes it so much harder to believe.

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    nope, that had to do with the racing department, specifically the engine support/sales department for racing engines (yet not F1 related).

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Just read this . .

Ferrari: Todt on the way out ?
    Rumors again?

F1i.com

With Ferrari presenting its 2008 car today in Fiorano, rumours that President Luca di Montezemolo and CEO Jean Todt are increasingly at odds with each other appear to be gaining momentum. As the Scuderia's sporting management has now been entrusted to Stefano Domenicali, one must wonder what role - if any - Todt will assume this season at the races... But the French manager's CEO status and overall implication with Ferrari may also be called into question in the near future.
    Apparently, the Montezemolo-Todt relationship recently took a turn for the worse when several severe conflicts of interest involving the Todt family, and relating to Ferrari brand management, were recently brought to the Ferrari President's attention.
    In the Middle-East, it is rumoured that Jean Todt is associated with an offshore company set up by businessman Luciano Secchi and linked to the Abu Dhabi Ferrari theme park currently under construction for an estimated $ 900 million !
    On a second front, according to an article just published in the reputed french monthly F1 Magazine, a subsidiary of ART Grand Prix (the GP2 team partly owned by Ferrari CEO's son Nicolas Todt) tried to position itself as a de facto intermediary to co-ordinate the recently signed partnership between Ferrari and A1 GP, but without Luca di Montezemolo's consent...
    No comments have yet emerged out of Maranello, but difficult times may lie ahead for Jean Todt in the coming months, or indeed the coming weeks...

Carol

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Seems Martin's sources were correct. Not good news, not at all...

5. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Was not Todt rumored to replace Mosley at FIA?

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It'd really be a shame if true. Sounds like LdM found the excuse to clean house if there is fact to this rumor.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If true, then where does that leave Nicolas Todt? Massa has a contract until 2010, but without protection...

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Depends on if he's clean or not, which I doubt. Maybe they'd insist Massa get a new agent??

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Performance. Actual performance is all that counts at Ferrari. Irrespective of contracts.

And Massa has performed and endeared himself at the Scuderia. He is not going ahywhere.

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

If the Todt-name is tainted within Ferrari, Massa will drop Nicolas like a hot potato.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sounds like he is a perfect money is everything rat to replace Bernie NOT Mosley.

What a pity ;) ... still think he over played the McLaren scandle to the detriment of motorsport, so please close the door on the way out.
    Pete

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Nobody gets a job as a F1 driver on only their performance ... it's all about deals ... and thus $'s.

Pete

13. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Must be big. Posts are being removed.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Martin thanks for the heads up. This will be something.

15. GINO ROSSI

GINO ROSSI Rookie

Apr 21, 2006
    I just watched the Italian news, which is about six hours old, and called relatives in Italy, and so far, not a word has been said.
    Tomorrow, i'll call a freind of mine, and see what he has to say.

16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You guys hear the moon is made of cheese?

Best,
    Jon

17. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    haven't heard the slight rumour here in Italy.I will watch the news and if I see anything will post!

18. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes I did,and its parmigiano reggiano.

19. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    Pass the Wheat Thins...

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Tell that to Alain Prost.

21. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I find the calls for patience until the facts are known to be slightly ridiculous around here. Substitue the name Ron Dennis for Jean Todt and see how many folks here wouldn't rush to judgement. :rolleyes:

I don't know if any of this is true but I suspect this could be a move by LdM to push Todt out. I seriously doubt Todt was actually involved in anything underhanded. It is no secret that the two did not see eye to eye and Luca is probably using this as an excuse, assuming Todt does get fired. If so, then LdM made a foolish move by not signing Ross Brawn, I can think of no one better to lead Ferrari.

The loser in all of this is Massa. If Todt goes, Massa will go shortly thereafter (taking his "3 year" contract with him).

22. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Yes, the Italian press never publishes false reports... :rolleyes:

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Where do you get these ideas? Let's see, Ross Brawn was chief engineer when Ferrari produced two of its worst cars in 10 years, 2005 and 2006. Seems in 2007 Ferrari did just fine without Brawn. It also appears that Ferrari will even better in 2008 without Brawn. Ferrari's current Italian leadership is exactly what the doctor ordered. Brawn outlived his usefulness, let's see if he can do something, anything, with Honda. I am guessing his result there will be mediocre. At best.

As for Massa, get over this, he is not driving a Ferrari strictly because of Todt. He earned his seat. Besides, who would replace him? Alonso? Stop being so funny. Oh, I know, you somehow have forgotten the consequences of what having two drivers that think they are #1 on the same team can do to team morale. All this talk about easy going Kimi not caring who his teammate is amounts to a hill of rubbish. If he were to find himself feeling in second place on the team he would be gone by the end of the season, he is not stupid nor without an ego.

If Todt goes, nothing on the Ferrari F1 team changes. Somebody new will run the factory. And hopefully I know them and they will put me on "the list".

24. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Ahem...they won 5 WORLD DRIVING CHAMPIONSHIPS AND 6 WORLD CONSTRUCTORS TITLES IN A ROW with Brawn at the helm. :rolleyes:

In 2005, as so many like to point out, tire regulations were changed to reduce Ferrari's competitiveness.

In 2006, the team hired Massa...case closed on that year.

In 2007, it took a miracle (i.e. stupidity at McLaren both within the team management and between its two drivers) for Ferrari to win either title.

By the way, Stepneygate would NEVER have happened under Brawn's leadership.

And, for the record, Schumacher was #1 driver during those 2005 and 2006 seasons, are you suggesting that he must have sucked as adriver since the team's performance declined so markedly?!?

Ahem...I thought Ferrari had two #1 drivers this season?

Or are you finally coming to your senses enough to acknowledge what the rest of us already know, that Massa is (and will always be) #2 wherever he drives.

25. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    He EARNED his seat? How'd he do that? By finishing behind his teammate his entire career?!? Sounds to me like Ferrari would have been better served by signing his teammates, don't you think?

Oh, right. None of them were represented by Todt, Jr. :rolleyes: