Rumormill: Honda building an F1 engine | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Rumormill: Honda building an F1 engine

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Feb 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Paul McCartney is in F-1?.... Macca????

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

I try and stay "positive"..... It's getting tight, but *if* they're already on it AND Gilles Simon is there AND they throw much money at it, it could be done for next year. Remember LdM whining when Simon to PURE was announced - If he's to be believed, he had everyone's designs in front of him at the FIA. Plus, they're working within some pretty tight guidelines - It's not like they've got a blank piece of paper.

The 'box could certainly be an issue. But with Mclaren's resources, some CAD files and a few "dummies" to work with, not that big of a problem IMO. Cooling & energy store requirements etc will all be spec'd fairly soon, if not already. The MGUK & MGUH units may also be a challenge, but I'd guess that if anyone can, Honda can.......

FWIW, exhausts are just a black art that even the guys doing 'em don't quite understand - Ever met one of those guys? ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Love it! Hope Ron never hears you refer to his (giant) baby as "second string bush league"! ;)

Truer words have never been spoken! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ron knows my sense of humor.
    He's not the prig most take him for.
    ;)

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I had the feeling that this whole deal was about rejoining with McLaren...

7. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    In 1080 this is a pretty special vid

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPONLgIrHKI]Honda F1 - 1980's Williams, Lotus, McLaren - TRACTIONS MOVIE 25 - YouTube[/ame]

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Along with Lewis..:cool:

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Holy cow it's a bunch of hooligans in a parking lot with Grand Prix cars!!!! :0

Look at how exposed the head and neck are in those cars - crazy. This was a special time for F1, as well as some tough years...those cars are beautiful IMHO.

Haven't followed the entire thread, but when I think of the resources Honda has, it would be foolish to bet against them. I believe strongly that if they wish to compete, they will become a dominant force.

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While the deal might have enticed Lewis to MB I doubt that he drew Honda into the deal.

11. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Honda turbo at the Oesterreichring 1987, the best quality video of a lap in the Turbo era. At this race the Mclarens were entering the Bosch curve at over 220 mph. No resting on this track, all out all the way. (commentator is a little off on the gear selection)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxUXpnGI648]Nakajima onboard Österreichring 1987 - YouTube[/ame]

12. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
  13. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Amazing car, amazing era. Great video.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Err, no they weren't.......

220 KPH.

Rose tinteds maybe? ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #66 Fast_ian, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Going *very* slowly too IMO........ WTF?

The first guy was on wets.

The second guy was even slower.

I gave up at that point.......... ;)

Wanna see a balls out lap? - Here ya go:

https://vimeo.com/10427952

JYS -v- Ronnie at Silverstone was another, but I can't find the film - Anyone?

Cheers,
    Ian

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Damned metric system spoils everything.
    ;)

17. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011

6th gear flat out measured by radar in the turbo era 1200+hp in qualifying.

I watched the entire race live then and recently on YT, during the coverage the analysts clearly said that the 2 Mclarens were the fastest of the field entering the Bosch curve at 220 MPH! MPH not kph. The Turbo era was the most powerful and the fastest.

I attended many races then and saw what these cars could do. Similar speeds also reached at the end of the Mistral straight and start/finish line at Monza.

From wiki:

Österreichring track was known for being very fast, as every corner was a fast sweeper and were taken in no lower than 3rd gear in a 5-speed gearbox and 4th in a 6-speed gearbox, as well as noticeable changes in elevation during the course of a lap. Like most fast circuits it was a hard circuit on engines but more difficult on tires, because of the speeds being so consistently high. Many considered the Österreichring to be dangerous, especially the "Boschkurve", a 180-degree right-hand corner with almost no run-off area which, by 1986 when turbo's pushed Formula One engine power to upwards of 1,400 bhp (1,044 kW; 1,419 PS) in qualifying, had cars approaching at well over 320km/h (200mph).

Please read carefully;

Increasing speeds were also a concern at the Österreichring; during the final Grand Prix there in 1987 pole-sitter Nelson Piquet's time for the 5.942km (3.692mi) of 1:23.357 set an average speed record for the circuit of 159.457 mph (255.756 km/h).

160 MPH AVERAGE for entire lap, entered Bosch curve at 220 MPH

Get some new glasses :) 80's turbo era still rules as the best period of F1, drivers, tracks, engines, and the beauty of the cars

18. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    "forget everything after"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWUo-IP1cec]Brundle Drives-1986 Lotus 98T - YouTube[/ame]

19. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #70 Vinny Bourne, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Just found this, wow, the ultimate candy shop

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y14eP4ClAlQ]? Jenson Lewis Senna: 2 Kids + 1 Amazing Sweet Shop! McLaren F1 2011 - Carjam Radio - YouTube[/ame]

I had been looking for this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTO8I_jPWXU]-L. Hamilton enjoy driving Ayrton Senna car. - YouTube[/ame]

don't forget in these video's whether it's the Honda Collections Hall, Brundle at Silverstone or Hamilton, these cars are irreplaceable and old, they are not turning the boost up too far as they don't want to blow an engine or see it in the wall.

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Holysh!et at all those Macs! Indeed the candy shop.

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Vinny, thank you for the excellent write ups and videos. My favorite ERA as well, you should by the book the 1,000 HP Grand Prix Cars.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair enough. I stand corrected. However;

- Only very rarely have they been allowed to reach those speeds......
    - I too (think ;)) I recall the era; While fast, the O'Ring was always the bridesmaid to Silverstone's bride when it came to *quick* laps. And I don't think they ever topped 220 at S/stone. (?)

Most powerful? OK.
    Fastest? Not so much;

Fabulous! It was indeed a great era. I particularly recall Ayrton touching 180 (mph ;)) on the *pit* straight at Brands! Not the long straight out into the country, the little (blind) one heading into Paddock...... Awe inspiring. Not so much the top speed, but the speed at which he got there! :)

:) New glasses installed.

"Best", "Beauty", etc remains in the eye of the beholder of course.

Cheers,
    Ian
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_records#Race_records

23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Ian, you are one cool guy! Great Post!

24. NürScud