Running | FerrariChat

Running

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Emil, Aug 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Emil

Emil Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Solihull
    Full Name:
    Emil Ahmed
    Now i know it's good to do long distance runs for fat burn etc,but what is classed as a long enough run?
    ie,i can run 3 miles easily,at a nice jog,taking me 27 minutes on average
    now,would it be better if your wanting to tone up etc by trying to do that run quicker therefore working the body harder,or just run for longer at an easier pace?

i know i've answered my own question,i guess what i'm trying to say,is it more beneficial to run a distance of time in X amount of minutes,or run X amount of miles in however many minutes?

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    On average, you probably burn about 10 cal/min doing any moderate excercise. I think running faster, etc may burn a little more, but probably not that much in the scope of things. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less. Total Caloric Intake should be less than the total amount of calories burned.

Dom

3. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    If you're looking to burn fat from running you should either be doing interval training for a shorter amount of time or aim for runs that are longer than 30 minutes to keep the heart rate above 60% maximum for fat burning.

4. Emil

Emil Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Solihull
    Full Name:
    Emil Ahmed
    what if your looking at building stamina then?

what i do that tends to get me out of breath is get onto a basketball court,and do lay-up's one side to the other for 10/20 times in a row

5. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    If stamina and endurance is your goal you need to eat right, rest well, keep your heart rate at 75% of your max for at least 30 minutes and create demand by anaerobic activity i.e. weights.

For running your feet actually swell so finding the right show is key to avoid blisters. I recommend if possible finding shoes that are not to fit or "true" for long distance. To increase your distance interval training is great, sprinting followed by steady 2-3 mile runs then sprint in the end is good strategy

Good luck

6. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i'd say doing HIIT is much better, cos u gain stamina, at the same time, u burn higher amount of calories compared to average jogging.

7. veyron407

veyron407 Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    canada
    yes, try running at you're max for like a min, then recover a while & go again.

8. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    If you want to tone up, I do NOT recommend running long distances (6+mi 5-6 days a week). If you want to actually build stamina, by all means, run away. If you want to play basketball, it will be good to go on some long runs (approximately an hour) but it will be best to alternate those with days where you do interval workouts or tempo running (say running 3-4 miles but much faster than usual).

I used to run an average of 8-14 miles a day, 6 days a week; I ended up with an unreal stamina and a resting heart rate in the 40s. It won't make you any quicker on fast breaks, but in the fourth quarter of a game, you'll be pulling away every time. Plus, your girlfriend will definitely approve of your new hobby :p.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ever run Hurdles?

10. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I ran Cross Country in high school, it was a 3 mile race. We trained 3x per week running a mix of 3 to 9 mile courses. The longer your endurance is, the faster you can run the 3 miles. Why do you think Michael Phelps won 8 Golds? He swims 50 miles per week.

I'm currently running 3 miles 3x per week and working out on Nautilus equipment afterwards. Working towards a 5 mile run 3 or 4x per week. Anyway, if all you're doing is running, you're not going to tone up properly. Fpassion had it right--eat clean, keep the heart rate up and hit weights or Nautilus after your run and you'll see results quickly.

I was thinking about posting my own thread on this subject. I am doing the above workout and eating clean. I've never taken a supplement and I am curious if there is anything out there that will help me. I'm interested in Creatine as it supposedly aids in recovery time. Anybody have any advice?

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    If you want to tone up, hit the weights, eat clean, and limit cardio to inclined walks (10 degrees incline for 1 hour at a 4mph pace). The more muscle you build, the more fat you will burn. Resting muscle burns fat so the more you have, the more you will burn. Walking instead of running will prevent you from tearing down all the muscle you're putting on, but still burns calories. As well as saves your knees and hips later in life. If you want that really thin emaciated look, then by all means go running 10 miles a day. :)