Runoffs | FerrariChat

Runoffs

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by fatbillybob, Oct 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The Runoffs at SCCA.com are good to watch and on right now. Lots of drama so far. T3 had some good battles but lots of carnage.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Is Formula Ford still a class where the ambitious race? Is it still an SCCA class?

I watched GT3.....if there's rubbing going on, Tony Ave is in the middle of things!

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes/maybe and Yes and Yes. But I'm not sure what today's pro ladder is since I have no interest in it. I just like club racing at the highest amateur level. Maybe one day I'll do some trans-am low level pro racing just to say I have done it. For some reason there is appeal for some low level active pro racers like Ave and Francis to come back and race with amateurs. I'm not sure what the appeal would be especially when AVE and Francis race amateur SCCA GT1 in current competitive trans am cars and a 10x National Champion (past low level pro) Mike Lewis who is the #1 GT1 guy in the nation in SCCA is running an old late 90's trans am car and can only qualify after the new cars. Same thing happened at the Indy Runoffs when Lewis in his old car lost to Pintaric also a pro in a new car.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the appeal is ego stroking.

did you consider building a TA2/GT2 car instead of that Mustang?

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No. I'm not into an arms race. I like touring car classes because you cannot change as much stuff. The slower the touring class the more stock the car is. That makes for oem reliability and more driver focus than machine. Everything is a tradeoff. Even with a stockish touring car (T2) I'll go through 3 sets of dry hoosiers at $1700/set and a dry 4th set isn't unreasonable at all. My 4th set are 3 year old rain tires we just don't use much. The winners use stacks of new tires dry and wet. It costs money to win.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So I haven't really caught up with SCCA or Runoffs in 10 years. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Some classes really strong and others barely hanging on. A couple of the same names, but 95% are different from when I did Runoffs 12+ years ago. Scotty White, Aquilante's, Drago, and Hines still there. Such a high turnover of drivers though in the top level of amateur racing. I know when I got to the Runoffs for 2 years it was great, but I didn't have the desire to do it forever. The costs, politics, and fun just weren't there like when I started with Regional grassroots stuff. Honestly the smartest thing would have been to stick with Regional Spec racing, many of my buddies from 20 years ago are still doing it, they never burned out. Wow, just so many talented young drivers in the 2000's that kicked butt and don't even race anymore.

Looking at the classes, who knows where I would best fit in now. I always liked the Spec racing and Spec Miata is as popular and competitive as ever. Although at my age maybe go for the SRF. :D The Touring and GT classes don't seem as interesting anymore as 2000's, but GT2 would be the most attractive. Could a 360 or 430 qualify for GT2?

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, trying to figure out Ferraris that qualify.

All the old T-1 Ferraris like 360 are out, but a 550 qualifies. WTF!?!

GT-2/ST 360 and 430

GT-1/ST 430 and 458

8. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Rob SRF on now at scca.com.

rob lay likes this.
  9. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Good race in SRF. Meserindino races with Calclub and runs a bunch of SRF's out of his Buttonwillow shop.. I'm a calcluber too. I have considered renting a ride from Meserindino and giving SRF a try. I just can't bring myself to so SM. I started doing Runoffs because they were moving around the country and I like to race non-regional tracks out of boredom. About every other year I race out of my area for the year. I hope to do that for 2021 covid depending. I'm now racing a paddle shift mustang in T2. No one is doing that except Scotty B...a good racer but his Runoffs was a disaster in 2 classes with the mustang while Mast in his same s550 stang but manual box developed by the most winning team in SCCA took the championship in T3. So does my stang have potential? Maybe... The cost is stupid but you only live once. I do not know about GT2 and left T1 because it became an arms race after class consolidation lead to T1 and STO combo where T1 got bunch of new upgrades AKA increased costs to run T1. I see T1 and GT2 as arms races and money pits. My T2 mustang is not fully developed and I did everything myself including weld the cage and I'm into it for $55k +. T1 is a weird class. They allowed this developed T1 because they needed a place for the very few STO cars. But SCCA really wanted the old T1 class philosophy and hence developed T1-LP or T1 limited prep. That's how the Ferrari 550 and Maserati grand turismo got in there. SCCA's hope is that the class would be taken over by T1-LP cars and the full prep cars and STO cars would go away by attrition. Well when you loose what do you do is add more power and development so you got a mix of T1 full prep and T1-LP racing together where the LP cars are not competitive but many of the LP cars are really T2 cars and can and do race both classes. That's me. I know I'm not winning T1 but if I'm towing all the way to Road America or Daytona from Cali I'm going to race my T2 car in both T2 and T1 just because. The LP sticker is on your door so the scruts know how much mods are done per the GCR. Racing two classes works because 90% of the time T1 and T2 are not run in the same mixed class group. While at runoffs you can say run a 4cylinder ecoobost mustang in T3 and T2. But at any majors or regional race T2 and T3 are in the same race group so you have to pick one or race T2 saturday and T3 sunday to get enough points to race Runoffs in both classes. All that must be clear as mud!

rob lay likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I miss the old days except for the being stuck at one track.

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Funny thing. I went to Mid-Ohio a couple weeks ago for the IMSA race. They had the MX-5 cup (or whatever it is called) running there. Never paid any attention to it previously but it was by far the best racing I saw all weekend. They ran 3 wide everywhere (and Mid-Ohio is pretty narrow). I am willing to bet the haulers were 3 wide when they pulled in to unload.