Ryan Dunn dies in automobile crash last night | FerrariChat

Ryan Dunn dies in automobile crash last night

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by agentf1, Jun 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agentf1

agentf1 Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Longwood Fl.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ryan Dunn dies in automobile crash last night in his 1997 Porsche GT3. Apparently he was coming home from doing some partying and was doing approx 110 according to the accident investigators and went off the rd on Rt 322 in West Goshen. Cops said the car was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived, both him and his passenger died in the flaming wreck. What a shame. I looked at the location on Google Maps and the road appeared to be perfectly straight where they are saying the accident occurred. This has lead me to believe that either an animal walked out in the road in front of them and he possibly tried to avoid it or maybe he fell asleep. I would think it would be pretty hard to wreck a GT3 on this stretch of road even with being intoxicated. Anyway, my prayers go out to his family and friends. What a shame to dies so young (age 34) with such a promising life ahead of you.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/20/cops-ryan-dunn-driver-crash-porsche-911-west-goshen-township-pemmsylvania/

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Driving ~ 110 mph on public roads at ~2:30 am after partying... One word comes to mind. :(

3. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    I'm not familiar with his film work, but very sorry to hear about his passing. RIP.

4. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    No matter who was driving (according to today's earliest coverage, it was not clear who was driving), the combination of high speed, late hour, and partying/possible drinking could have been contributing factors. Sad.

5. FerrariCrazy

FerrariCrazy Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2009
    Center Valley, PA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Very sad. Rob, he was part of the Jackass movies.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dumb **** move that cost his passenger's life too.

At this point, they can't even identify the passenger, too crispy crittered to figure it out.

Dunn was identified by his tattoos.

3AM+ alcohol + 110MPH = disaster. Not really surprising considering the lifestyle these guys lived.

Want to feel bad? Feel bad for his wife and the family of the guy who died in the passenger seat. His family doesn't even know he's gone yet, they're just wondering when he'll come home.

D

7. whatspeedlimit?

whatspeedlimit? Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Denver, Colorado
    From the looks of the skid marks, they probably swerved to avoid a deer, over-corrected and lost control. Dead deer litter the road in PA, it would make perfect sense.

8. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This happened only a few miles away from where I live. As others have stated, late hour, possible (and probable) intoxication, high-performance car and high speed = tragedy. Many of us who drive fast cars, whether they be Ferraris, P-cars, Vipers, Vettes, Mustangs, or Hemicudas have probably made some poor judgements. We just got lucky. I know I have, and as I've aged, I look back as say, WOW, was I a dumbass, or what.

Prayers to his family. Life is short, which is why we need to stop and remember what is important.

9. Monto

Monto Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2009
    According to the owner of Baxter's, where he was, he was not a big drinker and did not seem drunk when he left. Of course he would say this, but if true, the deer story seems probable. That group does live life on the edge and doing high speeds at 3 in the morning with limited lighting is not a good thing. We all drive fast, put hopefully not at night.

The early report is that it was one of the other Jackass guys in the car with him.

RIP!

10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Saddest part of the whole story, IMO.

:(

Jedi

11. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As I've aged, I drive like a grandma at night anymore, especially if I'm in either of the SRTs. I've had plenty of close encounters with deer around here as well. As I said above, really make us stop and think.

12. agentf1

agentf1 Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Longwood Fl.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Just saw it on the news, from the looks of the skid marks the Porsche understeered and he did not quite make the exit but instead hit the guard rail right after the exit and launched the car into the woods. It is typical that these rear engine cars will understeer or plow into a turn when at speed. They estimated over 100 so I can now see exactly how this happened. Not sure if he noticed the exit late or was trying to do it at a high rate of speed and the car just did not turn. I am sure his judgement was clouded. I do NOT like driving and of my high performance cars if I even had one or two drinks.

The news also said the passenger was also one of the Jackass crew but they did not release the name yet. I am assuming they did not contact the family yet. VERY sad for ALL involved.

13. agentf1

agentf1 Formula Junior

May 7, 2004
    Longwood Fl.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    News said he was at Barnaby's in West Chester all night. I know the place well, we had a HS reunion there.

14. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #14 swexlin, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
    Been to Barnaby's plenty of times myself. This is so sad on all levels.

15. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I had always read that dusk and dawn were the two prime times for deer to be wandering about, and so being extra alert behind the wheel would be most important at those times.

Do they wander at 2:30 a.m.? I certainly don't know.

16. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here in West Chester, I've seen the deer at all times, even in broad daylight. We'll probably never know what really happened.

17. cs s60

cs s60 Karting

May 16, 2005
    PA

Yes, trust me!

18. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    #18 Alxlee, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  19. Monto

Monto Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2009
    I meant Barnaby's, but typed Baxter's. My kids both live in WC and see that group out all the time in town.

20. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    This just makes me sick to my stomach. I have kids...As a parent I would likely never recover from a tradgedy like this. I am not judging because God knows I drive fast ( a few Police depts in the Mid Atlantic know it too) I just wonder though if the fact that I rarely if ever am out at midnight and I dont drink alcohol is why I am alive to make this post....just thinking and reflecting. Sooo sorry for his family. jon in Delaware

21. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    Talent, training, practice and good judgment make a difference. Some people shouldn't own fast cars and others should leave them home when "out on the town."

It's sad for everyone when someone dies young, but it continues to happen. :(

22. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    Very sad news. I had met Ryan a few times at local BMW get togethers. He was a big BMW enthusiast - even had the Roundel tattooed on his arm. Nice guy and a real shame to have to pay such a high price for whatever mistakes he made that night.

23. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I feel really bad for his family, and the passenger's.

Assuming he wasn't drunk or anything like that, It's a shame but with these ultra high performance cars, it is real easy to run out of talent at the wrong time.

It's a cautionary tale to all of us to take it a little easier on the backroads.

24. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Don your point is well made: "Talent, training, practice and good judgment make a difference. Some people shouldn't own fast cars and others should leave them home when "out on the town." I happen to know Ryan was a regular at Mid Atlantic Grand Prix Gokart and at BMW track days...so its not a matter of lacking training or practice....however

Will you all please consider joining me at the track one day? Its your responsibility if you are going to own a high performance car to learn how to be a better driver. Please???
    Jon in Delware

25. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    I've been buzzing along back roads since 1969. In 1977 I bought a proper Sports Car and the Élan came in 1980, but the most fun I've had is racing an F440 (an SCCA monoposto class) at Summit Point and Watkins Glen. Being on a Race Track where you know there are no obstacles, opposing traffic, etc. allows you to go to your limits safely. Once you get there you won't want to leave!