S85A Distributor Oil Seal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

S85A Distributor Oil Seal

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by sportcoupe, Mar 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Karting

Dec 27, 2016
    Santa Cruz, CA
    It’s starting to feel like I may want to get a professional involved. Any suggestions for shops near Santa Cruz, CA?

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #27 John Vardanian, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    You may want to check if the points leaf spring is contacting the chassis of the distributor on any of the four sets. The clearances are tight and if you have bumped into things it is possible that you have grounded one of the points, which would mean three dead cylinders. One way to check is to connect the timing light and move the pickup from one sparkplug lead to the next to see if the strobe light fires on all 12 leads.

john

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    take an ohm-meter and check each breaker if close and open right

4. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Karting

Dec 27, 2016
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but the point to have been replaced with an electronic setup. I would like to return it to stock at some point and this may be the root of the issue, although it was running fine before pulling the distributor.

I am in the processes of checking all the plug wires and installing new plugs. The distributor is not intermittent and seems to send spark only at higher RPMs. At idle it does not put out anything. I set the timing visually and it seems to be spot on but I can’t set it with a light because it is running so rough.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    check the input voltage for the coil
    may be change the condenser

6. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Karting

Dec 27, 2016
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The coil seems to be getting 12+ volts, but there condenser is gone along with the points. I would prefer to return it to stock, but if that is not the problem itself, then it’s a project for the future.

7. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Karting

Dec 27, 2016
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I think I fixed it!! It was electronic points. The black box had come loose and was not doing its job. Now I want to get the proper points system back in place, but at least I am back to where I started and my oil leak is fixed. Thank you all for your help and advice. She is timed and that glorious ruckus of an engine is back in full force.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what are electronic points?
    and even the black box got loose has nothing to do with points? that is why I ask what are electronic points

9. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Karting

Dec 27, 2016
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The points operate on an optical trigger rather than the traditional method. Designed to be an improvement, but in my experience they seem to cause more trouble than good.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    photo please - thank you