Saab: Done. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Saab: Done.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tundraphile, Dec 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very sad, I have a 1999 9-3 Aero Coupe and its a very unqiue car, lot of clever little things you dont find on other cars, the intergrated gear lock, night panel and lets not forget Saab were the pioneers of turbo cars.

They are a very unique product and thats one of the things I really like as well as the fact this 2 liter turbo motor is fantastic.

2. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    #27 yoda, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    I enjoyed my '87 900 Turbo and '89 900 Turbo back in the day. Fun cars and great in the snow.

Oh and I could fit my double bass into it by folding down the rear seats. The sunroof was big enough that one time I had the top half of my bass sticking out and three friends in the car, all seatbelted. How many other 2-door coupes can do that?

3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #28 Merak1974, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Both the Saab and the Ducati were great. Don't have them anymore and miss them both. In contrast to Saab's mismanagement by GM, Ducati is still going strong, so perhaps I will have new one sometime.

Gabriel
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I was talking with a friend of mine last night (long time GM dealership owner). He told me the "wind down" is going to be pretty rapid. Expect serious rebates on the remaining Saabs after the first of the year if you are looking to buy.

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Actually, I agree.

The GMC Yukon is a fantastic car. The chassis is really very good. My parents were in a friend's Yukon doing 85mph when a Firestone tire exploded. :eek: If it had been a Ford Explorer, it would have rolled. The Yukon didn't have any problem in pulling over safely. My Dad was so impressed, he bought one for himself 3 months later.

And the new Camaro looks great. I'm seriously considering getting one myself when I move back to the States.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    This is definetly a sad story. It didnt have a chance with GM and should never have gone there. It's a huge brand with tonnes of following. They have a great history including rally and had many great cars (Up until GM of course)

My prediction is that somone will scoup it up last minute and it will be with the help of the Swedish Government which is what they should have done long ago.

I certainly hope my prediction is right.

7. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    SAAB ain't dead yet! The numerous stories of more buyers showing interest, are making the rounds.

In my past talks with my GM pals, over a cold beer on a Summer afternoon, I asked them why in the world did you guys buy SAAB and Lotus? The answer was that they wanted the engineering process or patents and it wound up that it was cheaper to buy the companies outright, than pay fore the patents individually and the engineering staffs were expert at the job, rather than bringing the guys in Detroit, up to speed.

I too, hope SAAB, makes it! The Swedes, don't seem to want it, maybe the Russians, could use another cold weathercar? SAABSKI, DA!

Dosvidanya...Paolo

8. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    When did Proton sell Lotus to GM?

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

10. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    My first car was a Saab Sonett III I drove thru high school and college. Bored out the block, installed high compression Pinto pistons, racecam, performance heads, headers, Weber DGV, lightened flywheel, ...the works. Redlined at 8500RPM and sounded like sportbike. Had double the factory horsepower and an appetite for clutches, transmissions and wheel hub splines. Its no wonder I didn't kill myself w/ all the high speed shenanigans. Surely still hold some PA Turnpike speed records. Did spin it off road at a good clip once but missed hitting anything. And man, could that thing drive well in the snow before AWD became the norm.

11. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    I love my 1999 9-3 more than any other car. The mod bug bit me and I've never had more fun with a car. With a 3" DP, race cat and MBC, it is a rocket. I'll be reflashing my ECU to Stage 3 with T5Suite and then the fun really begins! The 2.0L B204 T5 motor is nearly bullet proof.

12. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    You ignorant hatred for all thing US is so telling sometimes...

A little history lesson is in order here. GM SAVED SAAB from a deserved death 20 years ago.

13. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    There is absolutely no need to take this into a "for or against the US" discussion, which would be a rather uninformative and stupid one anyway.

This is about GM, not the US. It is totally legitimate to discuss the strategies and actions of GM, and agree as well as disagree with them, fully or partly.

Yes, GM saved Saab 20 years ago, but that doesn't mean that everything GM has done over the last 20 years has been guided by divine technical and commercial insight, and there were of course other options than GM available back then...

Gabriel

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You can boil US Gm down to the following, the Caddy CTS, Big SUV , Vette and ummm
    the camaro looks cool but is really compromised.

Rented a new lincolm MKX or whatever its called. Lexus need not fear. Seriously the domestics have a long way to go.

But then their euro products are pretty good especialy ford, try a s-max and wonder why we only get big suv's or minivans as a choice.

GM could have done a lot with SAAB that is if they knew anything about cars as opposed to bean counting and brand management.

I remeber talking to someone at Lotus who recounted the nightmare of being owned by GM. The GM guys wanted to know what the torque measure was for steering resistance at lotus, to which the reply was drive it till if feals right. I mean we are talking about Gm a company with management who did not drive, classic over corporatised us company. Yes there were and are hugely takented automotive people there, unfortunatly they are not in charge, unless you count Lutz who is one person and given his age an indication that automotive talent in charge is a very rare commodity at GM. Ford is a little better but seriously the domestics are still not in the hunt.

The leyland comparison is apt, and the Idians are going to make a great Jag. GM was such a leader for so many yeras ists just sad to see this former shadow of something great.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    So Stryker is thinking of buying Saab. And making it more "Saabish".

With the Chinese getting Volvo, I'm going to encourage my wife to look at Saab next time rather than Volvo, assuming the Dutch deal goes thru.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Nikki -
    not particularly hating on you; but why not buy the car (any car) on its individual merits, rather than its birthplace?
    James

(I have no interest in either brand, it's just a question re making choices......)

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I was hoping Koeniggegegess would buy it and build cars like they were built when SAAB was Svenske Aktionfigur Aeroplan Baloneyjet.

Hopes dashed.

:(

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I can go to WalMart for my Made in China needs.

BTW, yer the first person to ever call me Nikki.

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Eeeesh, a Geelyvo, sounds like something that washed up on the beach even the birds are avoiding.;)

I'm liking the idea of a Spyker giveaway contest for new Saab purchasers. A little incentive to kick off their sales campaign.....

20. grease

grease Karting

Nov 29, 2008
    Totally agree.

Let this good dog die already.

21. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    According to Spyker's CEO, GM's decision is now delayed until Jan. 7th and he believes GM has other offers for Saab. There are reports new design 2010 9-5s and ordered 9-3s will begin production in January, GM has apparently decided an operational factory will bring more dollars than a knock-down skeleton.