Sad Daytona | FerrariChat

Sad Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by atheyg, Jun 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh, geez, what a mess.

Someone will have to pay $50k to get that thing looking even halfway decent again. Hard to believe it actually starts as he says it does.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Thats amazing ! i would love to restore a Daytona !!!..Making it a Daytona Comp conversion...wow...

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    $50K to make it decent? If it was only that easy....

Figure $25K for paint and body (its going to have rust and corrosion). $15K for a total interior restoration. Chrome and other body trim parts, $5k. Rubber seals and other such, $3K. Engine in need of tons of tuning, ancilliary rebuilds, exhaust, carb rebuilds and detailing $8K minimum. Suspension and brake system rebuilds $5K. Transaxle and clutch $5K. Tires and other disposables $1K. This is being conservative!

So.... assuming the engine does indeed have good compression and the car is not missing too many parts (thats a HUGE if.. the ad says tis missing stuff) perhaps you get away with $65K - $70k. IF the engine turns out to need a rebuild.... ad another $25K. If its turns out to be missing some parts.... could easilybe another $5K - $10K.

So you could end up with $90K - $100K into a restoration. If you pay $50K for the car up front, you would probably not be at great risk of losing money... but that sure is an aweful lot of effort and risk when you could just go pay $150K and have an absolutely perfect car right now.

The big problem here is the car is in Japan. No decent way to view it. No way to really know what your getting. I really think that if this car was in the US and you could confirm that the engine will only need tuning and such.... the car would bring $75K+.

I would never pay that, strikes me as nuts. But there are guys out there who would because they WANT to restore a Daytona. For lots of folks the restoration effort is the point, its a hobby thing. Full restoration candidate Daytonas are rare animals....

EDIT: looks like it sold this time for $38K! At that price... I would have to give real serious consideration to parting it out.

The idea of rebuilding this as a competition replica would also be a ton of fun! Probably wouldnt cost much more than restoring it as a concours street car and would probably bring more money in the end when done!

Terry

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    sold. miuraman is also in on the 365 boxer auction action.

that's not a car, it's a pile of parts. rusty parts.

who is miuraman???????

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
  6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Is it Tom Shaunessey? (sp?) I recognize the handle..... pretty sure its a dealer.

Terry

7. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I allegedly bought this Japanese daytona for 38000 BUY IT NOW.
    Partsdepo the seller raised price 10,000 on me.
    He has now has relisted this poor condition car.
    Ebay investigations as well as my attorney have been contacted.

This is not an honorable seller, or in this case seller's agent

Tom Shaughnessy
    Ferrari Parts and Sales
    San Clemente CA
    (miuraman)

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    TS, King of the toasted ponies!

Art S.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I noticed in the initial ad that he listed the vin as 13383, which doesn't show up in the Daytona database I have.

When he relisted it, the vin was missing, interesting...

I would imagine that it would be much more than $50k and probably more than $100k to resurrect that car. Just in the pictures, the magnitude of the rust is incredible. And, it says the car was "hit on the right side" so there will be significant repair work. You'd practically have to rebody it.

10. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Muiraman, I'm in japan a couple of times a month if you want me to go and have a look.

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    That's crap. Hope it gets worked out for you.

As a side note, of course you never get your premium back after fully restoring a car - sort of like buying a car new. But that's exactly what you get - a car in new condition. Plus you get all the fun and resulting pride of ownership that goes with owning a car that you fully restored.

12. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King

13383 is/was a LHD 365 GTB/4 fitted with A/c from the factory, 1st owner was Sr. Botazzi of Italy, Painted Nero with Nero Interior.
    It has/had body no. 186 and was No. 190 in Scaglietti's build schedule.

Seb

13. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

Parts is parts, not my first day on the job.
    I clearly know the restoration process and expense, better than most.

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I'm sure. I was responding to some of the comments about how much it will cost to restore.

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Well... it certainly looked like a parts car candidate to me! Restoring that turd would be a mess.

Good luck TS on getting the car and helping all us Daytona owners keep ours running and nice for years to come!

Terry

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Zack, Tom is King of da toasted ponies! I have never seen such a pack rat in my life, and I mean this in a good way. If any of you ever get to Southern Cal or Monterey, be sure to look Tom up. If you do, tell him that his price on the water tower is just further proof of his out-of-control drug use. I'd be happy to take him out of his misery for $250k. :)

Dale

17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Years from now, all you guys will be kicking yourself saying, "Can you believe that somebody parted out a virtually complete Daytona." Oh well, rob Peter, pay Paul, deplete the Daytona population, increase the value of those that remain. Eventually, hang a velvet rope around those that remain because they are too valuable to drive.

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tom,

Sorry to see the ebay problems. My previous post was in response to who was miuraman not in response to the failed ebay transaction.

Good Luck,

Art S.

19. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Its been listed a least 3 times, IMO the seller looks suspect as he gives no good shots of the car,sort of like Matt Lemus and his phantom Boxer pics, the few he's got look bad, serious rust damage on that car, it was probably sitting in a rice paddy for years, theor is probably not much left thats useable especially the frame.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Having done this before, its like building a house the budjet goes up as you go. If you figure 100,000 to rebuild it will be 150,000. then you have to buy and ship car over so figure you will be in for over 200k assuming most of the bits are there. From the pics i would say any calculation must be based on parts value. whats a Daytona motor worth. Maybe at some point in the future a Daytona will be worth what a 275 4cam is today, then its a good deal, untill then...

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Speaking of parting out Daytonas:

Does anybody know of a Daytona, that actually did get parted out or crashed/burnt? Got a VIN?

I have an excel based registry of Daytonas, but no status, so AFAIK they're all still up and running. Would love to update that list.

22. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Would be interesting to really know how many are left. You would think that at least 50-60 or so have been destroyed in accidents or parted out over the years and that seems pretty conservative.

Terry

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I have a funny hunch this car is stolen. Japan is noted for being a good place to sell stolen cars from abroad since recovering them does not seem to be a priority for them. When I read the vin didn't check out, and now is missing...maybe the seller raised the price knowing TS wouldn't just be sending a check and waiting for the boat. He's hoping for a less meticulous person.

Ken

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My guess is that most got rebuilt in the late 80s. Several old timers that I have talked to about Daytonas have said that it is a safe bet to assume that just about every one has been wreaked at least once. Daytonas were not like the later F40s and F50s that got brought for "investment purposes." They were driven. The only real question is whether they were fixed correctly.

Best, DrTax