Saddam's Testarossa | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Saddam's Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by billh, May 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    anymore pictures of saddam's cars?

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I think there are more important things that are happening there than the stripping of a car. In a war zone even a ferrari is just nothing, as is human life.

3. 348Spiderguy

348Spiderguy Karting

Jul 5, 2005
    Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Truth be told. Don't take this the wrong way. It's not how I feel but a ferrari in that country is worth more then human life. IMO

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

or because one day he may want it back?!

5. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I didn't mean to offend anyone, this is F-chat and I was refering about the Ferrari and not the country

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

Very Well put Chaz

7. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    There's something surreal about that TR behind bars and covered with dust and sand.

8. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    What ever happened to his cars?? Auctioned or destroyed?

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    They should be sold and the proceeds used to pay the US back for the cost of liberation

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

crushed by tanks and Used as roadblocks if i hear right

11. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    WELL I TAKE THE TESTAROSSA. IF ITS LEFT HAND DRIVE.. DONT REALLY CARE WHOM
    IT BELONG TOO... EVEN IF IT DID BELONG TO A MAD MAN.....NO LONGER IN POWER
    JOHN

12. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Wow...now that is just stupid. Instead of auctioning them off and using the possibly millions of dollars for good, they just crush them. That is ego talking on the side of the military, not good sense.

13. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    did they buy it for him

14. AmoCS

AmoCS Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Amo
    when I click the link the webpage does not display the pic, just a white blank in the centre of the page.

15. AmoCS

AmoCS Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Amo
    The message/s you requested could not be found or have been removed by a moderator.

16. Steamo99

Steamo99 Karting

May 26, 2006
    UK
    BAGHDAD, Iraq — Saddam Hussein had fallen, and the people of Iraq had access to anything in his opulent home — furniture, food, water and gold. But when looters arrived at Saddam's door, many wanted only one thing — one of his cars.

U.S. troops manning Saddam's main palace complex said they have had to begin destroying Saddam's cars because so many people have tried to take them. They fear that the cars could be used as suicide bombs or to create dangerous roadblocks.

Destroying the cars, some of them classic American creations, has proven more painful for the American troops than for the people who wanted to take them.

Saddam's main palace complex is near the Tigris River on the city's west side. When soldiers arrived, they found two garages with about 60 cars. Among them: a 1917 Mercedes, a 1930s Packard, a V8 Woody, a 1970s Cadillac Fleetwood and a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air.

Although the looters had never been in the complex, they "went straight for the garage," said Army E5 Sgt. Quincy Oree, 26, of Columbia, S.C. "They knew exactly where they were."

The looters got away with about 20 vehicles, Oree said.

Officials believe that some of the cars belonged to former Iraqi leaders, while Saddam purchased others as a hobby. Besides cars, the garages held golf carts and gasoline-powered buggies that were used perhaps to ride through the complex.

When the troops arrived at the complex a week ago, many of the cars had been set up as road blockades inside the complex, military personnel said.

Saddam is not the first Arab leader to collect cars. Jordan's King Hussein had an extensive car collection that became the basis of that country's auto museum when he died in 1999.

But King Hussein drove many of his cars extensively, while the troops said Saddam's cars had not seen much use. Nearly all had fewer than 1,000 miles on them; none had much gas; and all had a key in the ignition. Many had dust on the outside, but inside, the cars were immaculate, Oree said.

Some of the looters came in, grabbed the keys and left, returning later for the car, said Army Sgt. Paul Harris, 25, of Austin, Texas.

"Men in ratty clothes would come to the gate and say `I am here to pick up my Mercedes,' " Harris said. "They would wave the key at us."

One man tried to drive a Rolls Royce out of the complex, but it ran out of gas. That prompted the man to grab a sheet, wrap it around the bumper and try to pull it out. He failed.

Most often, the troops said, residents approach their blockade and ask for a car. The cars are requested more than computers, televisions, telephones, food and water, Oree said.

Earlier this week, Army E4 Spc. Brad Young, 24, of Clinton, Utah, was told to destroy the Bel Air. He ran over it with a tank. He said it took about five seconds.

His platoon understood that he had a job to do, but that did not make watching any easier.

"I love cars. It was so hard to see a Bel Air destroyed," said Army Pfc. Raul Carbajal, 20, of Chicago. "It was painful."

Once the cars are destroyed, their shells are moved to openings to the complex and used as blockades. Already, a smoldering Mercedes and a British cab are blocking one entrance.

The cars are one of the few things the U.S. troops are destroying. They have said they are trying to keep as many things as possible intact to hand over to the new regime, and they'll do the same with the leftover cars.

"We'll take them back if they don't want them," Carbajal said. "Nobody should destroy American classics."

17. Steamo99

Steamo99 Karting

May 26, 2006
    UK
    hope the TR doesn't go the same way

18. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Interesting article....it is good to see that at least some of the car damaging was for a reasonable cause.

19. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I know....me too. I cannot imagine a Ferrari going that way. :(

20. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    #70 rushdriven, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Why would anyone want to destroy classic cars, or any cars ?
    Some excuses don't make sense, destroy some, but save others to hand over to the new regime ?

I mean, it's not the CAR'S fault a tyrannical moron owned it...

22. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Wow, that packard and 1917 merc, must have been worth a fortune!!!!!!!!

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    the LM002 kills me - it's blue! Rare color on that car, looks nice

24. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    #74 Maranello Guy, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    what a bunch of idiots the commanding officers are....seriously, the cars could have been used in a better way...like money