Said Goodbye to a Lambo, For Now | FerrariChat

Said Goodbye to a Lambo, For Now

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by 737Drvr, Apr 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    #1 737Drvr, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Well guys, as a few of you know, I recently sold my SL. It was hard to part with the car as this was my first true exotic and a special one at that. It will not be my last either. The lure of an Italian car is now in my blood. But I have committed to my wife to buy a new house. So, away went the car. I couldn't convince her to live in the Lambo :). In the meantime, I'm thinking of getting a GTR to kind of fill the gap. Any input you guys have on this car would be appreciated. My plan is to save for an LP-560 and get it not too long after we move into the new digs and maybe make the GTR my DD.

I would also like to say it's been an awesome experience being part of the AZ Lambo Club and attending the many events that I never knew existed before buying the Lambo. In particular, I have enjoyed the monthly Cars and Coffee. I've met many cool people out there and look forward to hanging out with them every month. Thanks for all of your advice and welcoming me into the community. I will see you all at the next C&C. For you Lambo guys, enjoy the Bull Run on Sat. and I'll take a raincheck on going in a year or so.

Eron

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Sorry to hear Eron! :(

Enjoy the new house and good luck on the future car purchase :)

3. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Eron,

The AZ Lambo Club will miss you, but we know you'll be back soon!
    We'll be thinking about you on the Bull Run tomorrow!
    It should be a great run. Will take photos and some video.

AZLambo

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Being 'exotic less' is like going through drug withdrawal. For the first time in 25+ years I was exotic less for about 2 months. I hated that empty space in the garage.

Lambo or none, after the cars start things, its about the people and the friendships you've made. Don't be a stranger at C&C. If you can step down from the Lambo and wander over to my 'lowly CS', come say hi!

5. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks Dino and Jeff. Dino, it is like withdrawal. Hard for the wife to understand. I told her it's on the scale of her hawking her wedding ring. LOL. Think she might have understood it in those terms.

I'll definitely still be coming out to C&C. I've met so many cool people out there and I've got to at least "visit" these beauties. Oh, and the CS is hardly "lowly." Awesome machine. See you the first Saturday of May. Thanks for taking pics of the Bull Run Jeff.

6. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've had my DD GTR for nearly 2 years. Let me know if I can be of help.

7. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Awesome collection of cars you have there.
    A radiologist I worked for in Texas had a GTR as a daily and loved it. He never had problems with it and wasn't afraid to push it.

8. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thank you. Had mine for almost 17k miles now with no problems.

9. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks for the offer. Do you have any dealer recommendations? I'm looking at Power Nissan at Chandler/Gilbert. I've also gotten different answers on the break in period. Do You happen to know how long that might be? I appreciate any advice! I'm thinking of ordering one in late June/early July for a Sept./October delivery so I can begin to enjoy it in the cooler weather. I really like the new blue color. But I've seen it in just about every color they offer and they all look good on it. Thanks again for the help.

10. Gallardo Freak

Gallardo Freak Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jameson Apodaca
    I'm in the Z / GTR club and we have had 4 guys that have gotten GTRs from Pinnacle Nissan and have had nothing but good to say. Pinnacle Nissan also says there the top selling dealer for GTRs in the US

11. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Bought mine at Earnhart in Mesa. Tried to buy from Power in Tempe and they turned me down over $1000 difference. Called Earnhart, told them what I offered Power and they said come on down. Drove home an hour later. Power called me the next morning to tell me I could have the car for my price. It felt good to let them know I already bought one.

Met up with a former racer for Nissan who was part of the GTR introduction team and he told me break in was not really necessary and was more of a liability issue rather than a mechanical one. I still followed the recommendations in the manual just to be safe. I don't recall the specifics but I can check.

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    You have a CS and the GTR and do some track driving, right?

So I recently got the CS, and I'm taking it to all three days this weekend with ProAutoSports for my first track time...but, I'm already thinking that the cost of tracking the CS may be prohibitive for me...I realize tires and pads are going to be eaten up on any car, but the corsa's and CCM-specific pads are expensive...and then there is the "what if I break something or damage something and what does this do to the car's value" questions...not to mention the cost to replace CCM's after only a "few" track days...

I'm already thinking of getting something simplier/cheaper to track...oddly like a Boss 302 mustang or perhaps a covette...you know, something $50kish to start and then american-made, easily-available, relatively-cheap parts after that....

How do you think about your various cars and what to track? Any insights into your thinking and experience are appreciated.

Thanks!

13. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Does the launch control really void the warranty, or have they fixed the issue?

14. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Launch control does not void the warranty but that being said, I've never used it.

15. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Tracking any car on a regular basis can be expensive. Reminds me of a joke: How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big one.

I've tracked my CS twice and had a blast doing it. Brakes, maintenance and damage are the reasons I don't do it more often. Not too concerned about tires but chips, cracked windshields and CCM brakes are costly. Car is a riot on the track but the GTR is MUCH faster. If money is a concern, track the CS on occasion and something like to Corvette would be a good choice. Relatively cheap, lots of power, IRS. Too much to really go into here but I would be happy to discuss it sometime if you'd like.

16. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    I'll probably do the same and follow the manual. Want to keep it under warranty. Haven't gotten down to price yet with Power, but they have indicated they're willing to come down on price. Time will tell, but like you I have no problem shopping around for the right deal. Thanks for your input on the car. Look forward to getting one as there are not too many around and the GTR seems like the best bang for the buck performance anywhere close to its price point.

17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks...that's where I'm leaning...I'll know more about my intention after this Fri/sat/sun at Firebird with PSA...

If I really want to do more of it, there is no doubt I'll get another (more or less) dedicated track car...I really want one of those Boss 302's (boyhood dream car was the original) but I need to better understand the real-world (real-track?) implications of solid rear axle vs. IRS...another thread another time.

Sorry for the thread drift!

18. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Eron, is the Superleggera staying in Arizona?

19. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    No, sorry to say. I think it went to Florida.

20. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I paid $5k under sticker for mine.

21. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    Sounds like a very good deal. I plan to offer 500-1000 over invoice and see what happens. The new model seems fairly popular but there are few that have been sitting at the dealers for a couple of months now. Can't hurt to try. From the research I've done on Nagtroc, the dealers purchase price on one of these is around $82,500. Invoice is $86,500. Even if I give them $87K for it, they're still making a nice profit. We'll see. Thanks again for you help!

22. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  23. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Low ball them first, offer them 82,500 first.

24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm convinced generally (I have no insight on this car) that these "dealer invoice" type numbers that are only a few thousand dollars below MSRP are total bullsh$t. Meaning that the "wholesale" to "retail" mark-up just has to be way more than that...

My recent experience with buying a used car and knowing all of "asking price", "trade-in value" and "actual sale price" tell me that dealers are (and need to) make more than (using your example above) 5% gross profit.

They have to be getting these cars for 15% or more below retail. I mean think about it, that is "gross profit". That means out of that $4k (in your example) they have to pay the sales commission, advertising, utilities, building rent, etc, etc etc. No company (or few anyways, but I've not seen one except a very high volume wholesaler like McKesson doing 100 billion per year gross) can survice on 5% GROSS margins and then have to deduct all of their operating costs...

I would venture, for example, that new Ferrari's are bought by the dealer for at least 30k under their retail...and a 40k Ford for 8-10k under...

Just musing and hoping that someone with real ITB first-hand knowledge chimes in and sets me straight...

Good luck on getting the GTR!

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #25 arizonaitalian, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    completely agreee. The Karros negotiating class I took 20 years ago taught me one lesson that has stuck with me...you always start low becuase you can only go up!

[and any seller with a business brain - especially a professional who does it for a living -will not be "offended" by a low ball offer. Its truly such a silly emotional response when you list something for sale (a car, a house, whatever) and be "offended" when someone says "I'll buy it for X". I've never understood that. All you have to say, is "I'm glad you like it, but I need Y".) Yet, I see frequently (on here even) folks saying "I don't want to offend with a low ball offer"...]