Salo, Lago di Garda | FerrariChat

Salo, Lago di Garda

Discussion in 'Travel' started by tritone, May 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Anyone here familiar with Salo? I've visited a couple of times, last in 2015. Considering the idea of a small apartment in the historical center of town.......lusting after frontage on Lungolago Zanardelli....
    Any insider tips?
    TIA

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Salo is one of the most wonderful places on Earth, in my opinion: I like it very much. The most expensive location is Desenzano, though: that's the best place where to live, with everything. Desenzano is almost as nice as Salo, but with all the possibilities and fun given by a city and not like a small village like Salò is. But Salò is fantastic for resting, much more than Desenzano (that is full of youg people, so there is always a bit of mess). It depends about what you are looking for, but all the Garda lake is a wonderful place where to live.

ciao

Dai Baracca and tritone like this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As any aviation buff will know I'm sure, Desenzano was the base for the "Reparto Alta Velocita" during the thirties...

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dai Baracca, tritone and Albert-LP like this.
  4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    There still is a monument in the main Desenzano square that reminds the High speed aviation department
    https://www.mranthony.it/?p=42

If you want to see Desenzano (and me with my GTB turbo ABS), here you are a very nice long video: my car is at 5:30 and me driving at 8:46

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you Alberto! Now I will have to pay more attention to the Desenzano area..... Happy to see that some car activity happens around Garda. I already have my boating connections established at Feltrinelli and Nautica Salo.
    I'm thinking of changing my plans from city center flat to restoring a 'rustica' with a great lake view.........we'll see what the market offers when I can get there......(Sept?)
    Oh, and @nerofer: just outside of Salo in Gardone is la Vittoriale, home of d 'Annunzio, with his "Ship in the Sky" and MTB in the (enclosed) poolhouse.....and a Hisso behind glass, and an underground museum devoted to his wardrobe highlights!!

Albert-LP likes this.
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    And his Isotta Fraschini. Gardone is another great place: but all the Garda lake is wonderful. It depends what you are looking for. I have a very small holiday house in that area and I love all the Lake. South Garda lake is for fun, north is for kite surfing and surfing, west side for beauty and savage nature, low east side for young boys, but every place has its plus and minus.

Ciao

7. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Very Cool information! many do not know or have forgotten that Italy had some of the fastest seaplanes in the world at that time. IIRC Italo Balbo led a flight of 20+ seaplanes across the Atlantic in the early 30,s

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed...
    (The aviation-inspired clothes are from "Squadratlantica", an italian on-line store that makes nice aviation themed clothes; no dog in the race, just a long-time happy Customer)
    Rgds

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

Yes, with Commander Italo Balbo, La Crociera Translatlantica e del Decennale (difesa.it). 1931 and 1933.

And the Agello's speed world record with Macchi Castoldi MC72 Idrocorsa, a racing seaplane with two tandem engines and no cooling system. Record set over the Garda Lake (lago di Garda)

Ciao